WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“River Ranch Tent Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of River Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red River
River Ranch
Altus, Oklahoma
“River Ranch Tent Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very nice place, great friendly helpful staff, nice quiet park with nice tent sites. Stayed in the no hook up sites along river and used shower/restrooms and have no complaints. Would stay again without a doubt. I also use a 36' motorhome and would have used it comfortably at this site, this was a motorcycle trip and just thought I'd ad a note as a MH user also.... Will stay again.

Room Tip: we didn't stay in a room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
4 Thank Pandajoe

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed in a tent at the River Ranch RV Park at the end of July for 6 nights. I had the very best time and definitely plan to visit again next year. Upon reaching the park, the staff was very friendly to me and the owner took the time drive me around the park in a golf cart and showed me my site.

My primary reason for visiting Red River was for the trout fishing… which in my opinion has the best stocking in the USA. It turned out the best fishing in Red River that week was at this RV park in their private pond. A 5 day fishing license in red river this year is about $35 dollars per person, but if you stay at this park and only fish in the pond you do not need a license. The RV park stocks the pond very frequently and I was able to catch my limit of 2 fish per person each day. While fishing in the private pond I was shocked when I caught my biggest trout ever, which was a 5 lb 8 oz rainbow trout.

There are some negative reviews on the site about the strictness of the RV Park. I found all the rules to be very appropriate. The rules help prevent campers from bothering each other. Also the park borders with the National forest, and therefore must comply with the National forest rules.

A couple notes for tent campers. 1.Some of the sites are covered with a lot of gravel/ rocks and you need an air mattress or pad to sleep on. 2.There are plenty of free clean bathrooms/ showers to use which reduce the wear of tent camping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Charlie1777
Hartley, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This staff at River Ranch makes this an unacceptable place to stay. They are very rude, and make it difficult to enjoy what is supposed to be a relaxing vacation. My husband was yelled at by a lady on staff because he didn't get the leash on the dog fast enough! They are always scooting around on their golf carts just looking for any violators. Not friendly or helpful at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Stephanie F
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is our first trip camping in Red River and we had heard that National Park sites fill up fast and are first come so we decided to book a site at River Ranch. We read the reviews and were a bit apprehensive, but from the time we arrived until we left 3 days later we were extremely satisfied with the staff and the facilities. We have a Popup Camper and usually camp in primitive sites (no electric or water) at National and Sate Parks because we do not like being in RV parks smashed between big camping rigs. River Ranch has many sites that allow water and mountain views with full hook ups, but like most RV parks the sites are so close there is no privacy. However if you do not want the hook ups they have very nice sites on the other side of the river right on the water. These are tent sites but will accommodate small TT and popups and if you can get sites 1 thru 4 they have electric and water, sites 5 thru 17 do not. The restrooms and showers were clean and fairly modern and were used by my daughter and grand daughter without complaint. There is also a laundry facility with newer equipment, an office/camp store that really is not much more than a few items that are over priced (go to grocery in town about 1 mile), stocked fishing pond (no license needed) & river (license needed). The property has cabins (beyond rustic), hotel/apartments (50's era) and rental TT's. There are only 2 developed camp grounds left in Red River and River Ranch is by far the better of the 2.

Room Tip: The Grove has shaded sites with full hook ups. River West has decent shade and are on river with fu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank dunegoon
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We camped at River Ranch on a week-plus long road trip from Minnesota. We arrived the Thursday before Labor Day with no reservations and were able to get a tent site for two nights without a problem. We had been considering staying at one of the National Forest campgrounds down the road, but the $22/night tent site rate at River Ranch made it worth it for us to stay there - even though I like to tent camp, I still like my hot showers! For tent camping, it's no-frills, obviously, but the managers and employees of River Ranch treated us wonderfully - they were all so nice, stopped by to check on us, etc - and all of the guests we encountered were nice as well. Actually, everyone we encountered in Red River was super friendly! I did hear from another camper that the cable had been out for a few days, but I didn't hear of or experience anything else negative. I would definitely visit Red River again, and I would stay at River Ranch again as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jenarussell
Llano, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked this place for a week then the day we were headed up here I found all these bad reviews and was really worried. But overall it has been good. We are in cabin 20. With 3 adults and 2 kids. I would reccomend bringing extra padding for the beds. They are kinda rough especially if you are used to pillowtops. There was also a bad smell but we turned on the burner to burn it off.... we realized the smell was from a burner that was on but not lit. The smell is gone now. There was no toilet paper but we were told to bring own linens and paper goods. Also the kitchen does have some dishes and pots but you should bring your own. Over all we are happy and would stay again. The cabins are very basic and dated.... but it sure beats the hell out of a tent.

• Stayed August 2012
      Rooms
4 Thank toolstarr
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

When we checked in ( a goup of 3 different families ), we were greated by the camp hosts who were very friendly and helpful. The grounds are not well kept, very few people actually clean up after their animals. So many unnessary rules, cabins and apartments need major renovations. The worst experience was observing the terrible treatment of a couple with children from Texas, I did not get their name, but they were in a beautiful large motor home with the children being very polite and friendly. For some reason, there was a mix-up with the couples reservations and they were given a pull in space near the fishing pond, but supposedly were told that they "might" have to move later. The next day, they were told they space had been reserved and they would have to move to a less convenient spot and was not given a refund. The couple did move their bus just behind the business office, but did not have sewer hookup or cable. The space that they were evicted from remained empty as well as one other site in the same row until the date that we left on Sunday, August 7, 2012

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Taos Ski Valley
No photo provided
WorldMark Red River
#22 of 25 in Red River

Been to River Ranch? Share your experiences!