“Swoosh”

Red River Ski & Summer Area
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We will reopen for weekends only May 27, 2017 through June 9, 2017 when we open for daily operations through August 13, 2017. We will be open weekends after that through September 30, 2017 We're a big mountain hug, located in the Southern Rockies, just north of Taos, smack dab in the middle of the town of Red River, New Mexico. We are a warm and friendly escape where you will always feel like part of our family. We offer winter & summer fun for everyone. We're THAT place your family raves about.
Lake Lotawana, Missouri
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Swoosh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

didn't ski myself, however all I talked to really had a great time...the staff takes great care in making sure eveyone is safe and having a good time....saw a skiier get hurt unfortunately and they were absolutley terrific in their care and professionalism, especially since the victim was a 10 year old girl (twisted knee). The beverages and snacks in the lodge are yummy and fun...makes the watching all the more entertaining

1 Thank Janice P

Hickory Creek, Texas, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Red River skiing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The skiing was better than I expected, but the small resort was totally overwhelmed on a busy week. (Jan 2). I think there are only two restaurants in town (they were mostly bars) that are open passed 8 PM.. The small cafeteria at the base closes at 4:30. So after the lifts close at 4:00, and an early dinner, there is nothing available for entertainment until skiing the next day. The kids ski school was ok, but not great. The only options were: 1st time ever, 2nd day, private lessons. No progressive lessons available.
But the lift lines were short and the skiing on the mountain was better than i expected. Small mountain, but it was well maintained with lots of options.

michigan
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 272 helpful votes
“Shhhhhh, don't let the secret out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a great place to ski if you are a beginning or intermediate skier or want to come with your family. The place is very reasonably price (all day life, equipment and lesson for kids only $86) and everyone is as friendly as can be. It is not a glamorous resort, no one cares what you wear or how hot you look.

In our experience the instructors for both adults and children were all first rate. It was my first time at Red River and my first time on skis in a billion years.

We're definitely going back. It's just the kind of place I like.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank pyegirl
Mission, Texas
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“great place for first time skiers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My daughter and I wanted to learn to ski. Staying in Taos we first
visited the ski valley but we were not given the time of day and left
disappointed so we drove all the way to red river and what a
difference. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with a smile
and a warm welcome. I told the guy at the counter " we have never ever
skied before and we would like to learn" he tells us " then you need
our never ever skied before package" seriously that's the name of the
package. I don't know about advanced trails or expert skiing but for
us, this was the perfect place. Our instructor Colin was an amazing
teacher and by 3pm there wasn't an intermidiate slope we couldn't
tackle. I want to thank everyone at RR for their hospitality and
courteous attention to our needs. Even when I fell down a few times
there was always a ski patrol person nearby to lend a hand. I cannot
recommend this place enough. Even the price was a considerably lower
than the other place. We will be back. David from south TX

Visited December 2012
2 Thank mrmoparhemi
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Get a lesson from Chris Peterson!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I ended up having a private lesson with Chris Peterson, one of the long-time instructors at Red River Ski area. He was extremely helpful and patient. I learned more from that one lesson than all my other lessons combined! I feel like I can finally ski now, and I enjoy it! Thanks Chris :)

If you're a beginner, the facilities at pretty good. Nice gentle baby slope and a steeper practice slope nearby for when you're ready.

I do wish they had some benches available so parents could watch their children's ski lessons.

1 Thank AndreaAndreassen