“Great place for a vacation”
Review of Golden Eagle Lodge

Golden Eagle Lodge
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Red River
Cleburne TX
“Great place for a vacation”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We just spent four days (7/13/13) in Red River NM & we spent that time at the Golden Eagle Lodge. This facility is owned by Jerry & Marla Vowell. We feel as though they went out of their way in making our stay enjoyable. Our rooms were clean. The lighting was very good & the flat screen TV was very good & it worked. The kitchen had everything we needed and all the utensils were clean. We had no problems with the facility. We enjoyed coffee every morning in the Great Room. We will do our best to stay at the Golden Eagle Lodge on our next visit to Red River NM. I recommend the Golden Eagle Lodge to every one needing lodging while in Red River, NM

Room Tip: Any room, large enough for you or family, will be a good choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great accommodations. More importantly, Jerry and Marla go way out of their way to accommodate their guests. We were getting married by the JP and Jerry turned out to be a minister and offered to marry us on property. We also need to fax some important paperwork on a day we would be away all day. They graciously took care of this for us. They were the kindest people we met in Red River. We will stay with them every time we are in Red River until we figure out a way to have our own home there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Elko, Nevada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, DO NOT STAY HERE! Unless you are a bed wetter then you'll enjoy the rubber mattress pads! INSULTING RULES POSTED ALL OVER THE PLACE! Worse than a Dorm, more rules than a Summer camp for kids!! The Golden Beagle Lodge proudly charges over $250.00/ night, and then warns to charge you fees if you don't properly mop the floor, place all towels in front of your room, and god forbid you use the wrong washcloth for makeup removal! The paper thin walls, single pane windows, and dated wood paneling will help you to easily get to know your neighbors next door. Red River is a great town, but has very limited lodging options! If you want quality lodging and good value for your vacation, keep looking. If you like being annoyed by numerous rules posted everywhere on the property with the concern of " additional charges", and also want to be responsible for cleaning your own room, visit the Golden Beagle!

Room Tip: Dated log cabin, all rooms are noisy, owners invasive behavior does not support a relaxing lodging e...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gerald477
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I recommend both the Golden Eagle Lodge and the Elk Ridge Lodge. I stayed next door at the Elk Ridge Lodge, also owned and managed by Jerry and Marla Vowell. It was very affordable, clean, comfortable and cozy. It was equipped with everything needed, and if I needed a bigger pan or pot, I borrowed one from the group facility kitchen and brought it back when I was through using it. If anything needed attention it was taken care of as soon as possible. Jerry and Marla set the standard for being courteous, friendly, answering any questions about their lodges and about Red River in general, and treating everyone who crosses their path with respect. The housekeeping staff are reliable, friendly, courteous and honest. The Elk Ridge is an older lodge, but I was very happy during my stay. I would come back in a heartbeat any time I am able.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Okay, I wanted to LOVE this place....I truly did. However, note my issues if you want an honest review.

Upon arrival there are numerous signs posted throughout your cabin about leaving the place clean. Sounds great...I like clean! WELL...The problem with this is what if it wasn't clean when you got there? When we went to use the dishes there were dirty ones in the cabinets and dirty silverware in the drawers. I would have washed them prior to use anyway but what??? I'm supposed to wash all the dishes so I don't get charged for dirty ones? I think not. I'd also like to note the stovetop was dirty. Again, I cleaned it right away with some good 'ole clorox wipes and elbow grease but c'mon...why didn't housekeeping do that...???

Again, signs state sweep lodge clean prior to leaving. Upon arrival when my kiddos moved a chair in the living area there were pieces of dry dog food under it...okay...?? Mind you we don't have a dog.....

Last, NOISE LEVELS....I can overlook cleanliness if it's issues I can fix myself but the walls of these lodges are paper thin. There were two families on each side of us so for a family which turns in early this was problematic. You can hear even the basic of a normal volume conversation going on. Well, if you can hear normal volume conversations you can MOST definitely hear loud laughter and screaming.....They also had a dog in one of the lodges and he was quite the noise maker...Barking at anything and everything. The families did quiet down around midnight but if you have little ones this could be an issue.

Other than these issues it is a nice place. It's located out of town so there's not much noise beyond your neighbors. It is too far to walk to the lifts though....You will need to drive or take the shuttle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mom2GreatKiddos
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The heating was poor. The unit was broken so we had a small space heater in the room and there was no way to heat both rooms it did fine heating one room but not all three. The sink in the bathroom fell off the wall and the owner laughed and said that it had happened a week prior and he was suppose to fix it the next morning so we left and when we came back he had propped the sink up with a shower rod. Then he didn't hook the pipe up right so when we used the sink water leaked all over the floor. The fold out couch bed was horrible, the springs that hold the mattress were broke and my daughter had to sleep with us because the matress would fall through the broken springs. The place was just overpriced and under kept . The pics on the website were misleading. We won't ever stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank btoconn
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Travelin' Jack decided to spend his Thanksgiving getaway at the Golden Eagle Lodge in Red River. Checking in on the town's ski action and holiday shopping, dining, lounging options. Golden Eagle Lodge once again gets his top rating for pet-friendly welcome, comfy cozy stay in a toasty warm room, and all the spirit of the holiday to get a pup into the holiday spirit.

Golden Eagle Lodge hits high marks for
1) Reasonable price and pet-friendly staff.
2) 2-bedroom Suites are very roomy and comfortable.
3) Great outdoor walking area both on property and adjacent to property for the pet.
4) Friendly family owned atmosphere and staff make everyone-including the dog feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Make sure and reserve a pet-friendly room whenever you travel with your pet!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley
Laguna Vista Lodge
Laguna Vista Lodge
#1 of 4 in Eagle Nest

Been to Golden Eagle Lodge? Share your experiences!