“Poor Customer service”

Deer Lodge Red River
Hutto, Texas
“Poor Customer service”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Not the Best lodge on the block. You pay for what you get.

Inital check in went well. But after the first night woke up to find out that the toilet wouldnt flush the next morning. I called the front desk (Nina) and she said she would be by to look at it. When she arrived to our room she showed up with a Pitcher and space heater. Said to use the pitcher for the water in the toilet and heater for the pipe cause she thought it might have frozen over the night. and to Leave the bathroom door open through the night. I politely said ok. Then the Microwave started to act up but eventually started to work.
After following Ninas instructions the toilet didnt work again the next morning. I called nina back and she asked if we followed her instructions, and i said yes we did. she followed by saying that she doesnt know whats wrong with it then. I asked her if there was something she could do for us then and she said to come see her the next morning.
The next morning she offered to give me a nights free stay, but then claimed she didnt know how to work the machine to give me a refund.
Well i never got my one night refund and the toilet didnt work in the mornings.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 512hippo
Nina581, Manager at Deer Lodge Red River, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I apologize for the lateness in responding to your review our records show you were our guest from January 2 through January 6, 2013 for 4 nights. We had several guest with us during this time. I was able to go back through our credit card batches and invoices as well as our maintenance log and well remember the problem with the toilet in your room.
My first concern is you stated that you had not received your refund as promised, we are showing a refund was entered to your credit card on January 5,2013 for an amount equals one night stay. If this did not show up on your credit card statement please contact your card service, and if you have a moment please call me with an update.
Concerning the toilet – When I checked back an hour after we set up the additional heater the toilet was flushing properly. I also checked on it during the daily towel and trash service, I do not recall you telling me that it continued to be an issue.
The microwave had been unplugged during cleaning. We inspect the rooms prior to each check in to make sure everything is in working order unfortunately we overlooked this. We appreciate it when guest take the time to point out problems or concerns so we can deal with the issue immediately.
I was not aware of your review until we had a guest stay with us. He said he had read the review prior to making his reservation and decided to give us a try anyway.
He had a most pleasant stay ad temperatures were 40 to 60 degrees higher in June then when you were here in January might have influenced his enjoyment. He did ask me what the pitcher was for I told him it was an emergency back up in case someone used the toilet before the tank had time to refill and something needed to be “flushed away”.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kennedale, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Recently spent 10 nights and would definitely stay again. The rooms were clean and the water was hot. The lodge manager was extra nice and accommodating. I have enjoyed many trips to Red River and I will be staying at Deer Lodge on my next trip.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gary H
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I love this place. I started staying at Deer Lodge several years ago and have always had an excellent experience. One of the main draws at first was that they allow pets and their pet deposit is entirely reasonable--like $20.00 for the entire stay, whereas at other places, there were fairly steep daily charges. Also, their room rates are entirely reasonable. The first year I stayed there, I stayed in the motel-type room. The owner, John, was very accomodating--there was a little fridge in the room already, and to make my stay even more comfortable, he brought me a microwave and a card table with chairs so that the unit was almost like a kitchenette. The next year, I upgraded to a unit that was similar to an efficiency apartment, and again had an excellent experience. The kitchen was well-supplied with dishes, cooking utensils, pots and pans, coffee maker, etc. Any time I needed something, all I had to do was ask. They have always treated me like family. Once or twice, I have locked my keys in the room, and John or Anne were completely great about coming over and unlocking my room. Last year and the year before, my dogs and I stayed in the one-bedroom, and had wonderful experiences both times. The unit is always clean, the housekeeper comes around regularly, and they make sure you have plenty of whatever it is you might need. Check-in is easy and care-free. If you arrive after hours, your key is waiting for you in a designated spot, and it is no muss, no fuss, easy as pie. I am scheduled to arrive at Deer Lodge again in two weeks, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I am staying in the one-bedroom again, as it has become my home away from home, and it cannot get here fast enough to suit me. Each time I have stayed there, the owner, John, and the manager, Anne, have bent over backwards to accomodate my every need, and I could not be more satisfied. I go to Red River every summer, and Deer Lodge is where I will stay every time I go. With its rustic charm, prime location, reasonable prices, and accomodating owner and manager, in my book, you can't beat it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Debbie K
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Yep, this is an older lodge for sure. Has historical charm. We skiied, ate good food, skiied, slept and SKIIED! That's what we went to do on a budget !! THANKS !

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank duchess047
Clarendon, TX
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I am writing this because this place is way under standers. We got there and thought it was OK but once we go in the room we noticed there was only 1 tv in the bedroom. The website says cable tv in every room. The walls were paper thin because we could here everything that went on next door. The bathtub gurgled all night, we had to close the door to muffle the sound. The toilet would not flush. I contacted the office and they plunged the toilet but after we got done skiing it was clean but still would not flush. I did tell the office that the website said there was cable tv in everyroom and they were not aware of it saying that. I complained that we did not have a tv in the livingroom and we would rather not watch the same as our kids. They did bring us a tv, dial control, probly older than 35 yrs old with a turn dial. They had to unplug the light and move a table to get it on. Needless to say it was more of a pain to watch it so we didnt. The part on the website that says WI FI is only if its working! The first day we were there it didnt work the next day it did. I would only suggest this place if you have 1 or 2 people going and all you want to do is sleep!!! They dont have housekeeping on the weekends either!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Eagle Nest
WorldMark Red River
WorldMark Red River
#13 of 26 in Red River

Been to Deer Lodge Red River? Share your experiences!