“Goose Lake is Great”
Review of Goose Lake Trail

Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Red River
More attraction details
Owner description: Moderate to difficult hike, six miles one way.
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I have been to goose lake several times always by ATV. It is 8 miles one way and about 3000 feet of elevation gain. The trail was redone sometime before 2009 and is an easy trail now.

Goose lake is worth the trip just for the views. Climb the switchbacks behind the lake (if you are in good shape) and you will get quite a view. You can see the Taos Ski valley from up on top.

One of my favorite places.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Don't take this trail if you are claustrophobic! The trail can get a bit tight when you meet up with another traveler on a 4-wheeler, multiple person ATV, Jeep or Truck! Beautiful view once your reach the top!

Reviewed August 16, 2011

To put it in my wife's words, "this is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to - in my life!"

Once up top, take the trail to the right and go up to the point over looking the lake. It's breath taking. Also, look across the lake and you'll see switch back trails used for thousands of years by Pueblo Indians. If you have the time and energy, use those trails to get up to the ridge and you are on top of the world!.

1  Thank Hotel_5150
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Today is July 13, 2009 and we went up today on 4 wheelers. My wife, 17 and 13 year old sons, and I made the trip. We never had a minutes problem and enjoyed to whole trip. The lake is beautiful and we all hiked half way up the mountain behind the lake and threw snow balls. I would HIGHLY recommend this trip. We rode four Polaris 500 H.O. Scramblers and used about a half tank of gas. We stopped and explored a couple of old houses and mines but overall the trip up will take around 50 minutes up and down. It is fun to take lunch and just relax around the lake. Hope everyone enjoys this as much as we did. On a difficulty scale of 1-10, I would rate this a 3-4. My wife never rides 4 wheelers and she had no problems at all.

2  Thank Clifage
A TripAdvisor Member
Montgomery, TX
Reviewed August 29, 2004

I've been up this trail in Jeeps, a full sized Chevy short bed several times, and of course on motorcycles. The trail is a challenge; you should be somewhat experienced before you just head up this trail. What ends up happening is that you meet someone coming the other way. Someone is going to have to back up until the trail is wide enough to pull off on the side enough for the other guy to ease off on his side to get by. If you're in a full sized vehicle, plan on folding up those side mirrors to make more room. AND, remember to smile if there is a little contact. To me, not everyone gets to break a mirror or wrinke a little sheet metal in such a beautiful place. Sure beats parking lot rash....

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member