“BBQ worth a meal”
Review of Ice House Restaurant - CLOSED

Ice House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The atmosphere is fun, the food generally good. They advertise as a BBQ and steak house. There was only one steak on the menu (ribeye). The hot links were delicious, the brisket a bit dry but the baked beans were the best we have ever had in a restaurant. Oh, and the pickled cucumbers and onions were so good I wanted more!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The menu had a variety of different barbecues and 3 different sauces were offered. I have a loaded sweet potato with pulled pork and coleslaw. Very good. My companion had the special nachos with brisket. It was strange and not very good. Great selection of beers.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

If you are traveling on I-25and need a place to stop for a great meal this is it. We stopped on our way from Denver to Phoenix to get gas and lunch and was very pleased. This place does BBQ right. It seems more Texas style than TN or Carolina, with a hickory and/ or mesquite smoke. We had pulled pork and chopped brisket sandwiches, which were both moist without being drippy from too much juice put on them, or mixing in too much fat. Not an easy feat. The coup de grace though was the hot link sandwich my wife ordered. Finding a hot link that has a balance of smoke, spice and heat is tough, and I was impressed by how they accomplished it. It starts out smoky and you can taste the spices, then the heat comes on at the end. Suffice to say nothing was left of that sandwich.

A good selection of local and regional beers and friendly service topped everything off. Finding good food stops at exits off interstates can be hit or miss, but this place hits.

1  Thank MouseEars11
Reviewed March 16, 2014

All the food was good. Had a good selection of beers. Fun decor and nice service. Great way to enjoy the end of a day of driving.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I ate here on a Saturday at 6:00 p.m. I ordered the Ribs, but was told they were "out". The other trip advisor reviews portray this primarily as a BBQ place, so I ordered the BBQ combination, which comes with three meats out of five (or four if they are "out" of ribs). The portions are absolutely huge, which may explain it's price. Certainly, a more manageable meal would have included 1/2 the meat at 2/3 of the price. Having said that, the three meats (sliced brisket, hot links and pulled pork) were quite good. The sauce was exceptional.

Now, the downside. Instead of a plate, they served my meal on what appeared to be a plastic drink tray - the kind that a waitress might use to bring beers. That was weird. I've seen similar BBQ places use these type of trays, but always with a white butcher paper on the bottom. No paper here. They just plopped the bare meats down on the plastic.

However, the most annoying part was the absence of my waitress when I needed her (such as when I wanted to pay), and a general non-helpful attitude with regard to my requests. This is a small town, and the bar patrons pretty much expect the waitresses to stop and visit - which is fine unless its your waitress, and she forgets about you.

I'm generally a pretty generous tipper, but this level of service deserved the absolute minimum.