“Awesome Place”

Sugarite Canyon State Park
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Raton
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Complete park, with hummingbirds, wild life and a host of various birds. Great place to hang out and camp. A family favorite for years.

2  Thank UncleRoy1
There are newer reviews for Sugarite Canyon State Park

Reviewed May 23, 2012

The volunteers & rangers were great, they helped us find a place to park with shade so our cat (epileptic, has to travel everywhere with us due to his med schedule) wouldn't roast in the car. Very informative about the area as well. We hiked the Lake Alice trail, which had many beautiful flowers this time of year. The trails were clean of litter, the campground looked very well kept up too. Restroom facilities were very clean and well kept.

3  Thank NissanDragger
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Although not on the birdwatchers' usual location lists, I think it has potential (not for rareties, but for migrants). Lovely park, partly burned in 2011, now ripe for woodpeckers and other critters that move back in after a disaster.

2  Thank GentilleAlouette
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Perhaps I'm just spoiled after being from New York State where we had exceptional state parks. And then for years living in Virginia, where we had really good state parks. But I found Sugarite Canyon State Park to be quite disappointing.

Upon entering the park I immediately found what I had mostly come to see -- the Coal Camp Trail, which explores the ruins of an old coal mining town. The visitor center is located there, but it was closed, even though this was an extremely nice weekend in May. There were a few cheap brochures on its porch, but none that described the park overall. The restrooms were directly across the street, were open, and quite nice for a state park.

At the visitor center I took one of the Xeroxed maps and descriptions of the Coal Camp Trail and started off. It was not a long hike, but the map provided was so primitive it really didn't help at all. When I taught map making skills to 7th graders years ago, they could have done a better job. At one point I stopped to take a look at the sparse ruins of the old school house, and another couple came up. I told them I was confused about whether or not I was on the right trail, and they said they were totally confused, as well. So I guess it isn't an unfair criticism -- the park needs a better trail map/description and a few more wooden signs for the trail(s). Finally I did find the right trail...by accident...and it was a nice walk, although the ruins are quite grown over, and with the warning that there are rattlesnakes in the park, one doesn't feel too comfortable wading through the high grass and brush to get a closer look. Then once off the Coal Camp Trail, and back on what I guess was the Riverwalk Trail, I noticed more ruins, which I would have missed based on the brochure.

After finishing the hike, I drove to the 2 lakes. That more northern area of the park isn't very attractive now, due to the forest fire that occurred a while back. The first lake is what I would call a pond, but the second and larger lake would be quite beautiful, were it not for the burned timber.

I don't feel this park is kept up well. It almost had a shabby look to it. I'm still glad I spent a couple of hours there due to the history of the coal camp, but this didn't meet my expectations.

6  Thank vinlyn
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Lake and Park is very clean and well maintained. Patrolled by both Parks Department and Fish and Game continuously. Great Walking Paths!

1  Thank Land&Sea