“Probably would have been better if...”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Raton
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Raton
El Paso, Texas, United States
“Probably would have been better if...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Probably would have been better if 1. they hadn't screwed up our reservation (specifically asked for the single queen suite and was charged for that but had to have the reservation changed upon arrival when we found we'd been charged for the suite but got the standard 2-bed room), and 2. they had wifi. Yes, they SAY they do, but now two nights into a 4-night stay and NO WIFI. Have had to drive across the street and sit in the Quality Inn parking lot to get necessary work done which requires wifi or some other form of internet service. Bet they'll still charge me the full rate, though, in spite of the fact that they don't have all the advertised amenities. And when the little desk clerk gets snotty about it, that doesn't help, either. Maybe good for a one-night stay, but I wish I'd reserved elsewhere where advertised amenities were actually available.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
gm_ratonnm, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Raton, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review. We value all guest comments and use your feedback to help improve our weaknesses and keep our strong points consistent.
Fortunately, we recently installed a new wireless system with 6 wireless access points, twice as many as we had before. Unfortunately, when the new system was installed, we were having issues with the firewall. This has since been resolved. The downfall, during this time, was no access to the internet. For this I apologize. With our new system in place, connecting to WiFi is no longer an issue.
Last but not least, I do apologize for the confusion on your room. Unfortunately, your room type was overbooked because the internet overbooked the room type at the same time the front desk person booked this room type. In the future, if you book with us directly versus using a 3rd party vendor, you are more likely to receive the room type you request.
We would love to accommodate you again in the future, and have you be able to enjoy our new internet service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has never been updated. The furniture is original, 10 years old. The furniture is old, dirty and stained. The carpet is torn. We stayed for 10 days, as there were no other rooms available in the town for our entire stay. There were no bath towels available when the hotel was full, we were offered a bath mat instead. We were Charged higher than the quoted price upon checkout by manager, yet he said that if the price had been challenged when checking in the employee could have honored the lower price. He, caimed that as manager could not honor the lower the price at checkout. The wi-fi never worked, nor did it work 3 years ago when we last stayed here. Breakfast was never replenished. If 50 scouts ate at 6am, then nothing remained for a later arriving guest.

We were refunded the price difference two days after leaving. This failed to amend the other problems with this hotel! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! The staff under the manager were gracious and apologetic for the inadequacies. We have stayed here nearly yearly since this hotel opened. So sad to see it slide and to have the manager be so blasé.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ck W
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review. Based on your review , your stay was not up to par nor to the standards we keep for the hotel and for our guest.
Some of the issues you encountered during your stay were in the works of being resolved. The furniture you’re referring to, the desk chairs and luggage benches, were recently purchased but the fabric stains real easily. We are in the process of figuring out a reupholster fabric for these.
As for the towel situation, I apologize. We had recently placed an order on linens which unfortunately got placed on back order because we chose to go with higher quality linen, and was received after your stay.
Finally, we recently switched internet providers and added 6 new wireless access points throughout the hotel, twice as many as before. During this time, we started to have problems with the firewall, which made connecting to the internet trying at times. This has since been fixed.
I welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further. We want every guest to be satisfied with their stay. Please feel free to contact me at 575-445-9100. Hopefully you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you in the future and make good on the issues you encountered on your previous stay.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had never stayed at a Microtel Inn before but got a good price at this one through a Priceline Express Deal. I was extremely happy with the hotel and suite and would definitely stay at Mictrotel again in the future based on my experience here.

When I arrived I had been allocated an ADA room which, according to the friendly girl at reception, always seems to happen for Priceline bookings. She immediately allocated me to a king suite and I could not ave been happier. The place had a homey feeling with several spots places to relax, space to work and all amenities. The Internet connection was good, coffee supplies generous and, even if I had paid full price, I would have considered it good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night after driving from Colorado. Clean, neat, nice. Simple continental breakfast. Would stop here again.

• Stayed July 2012
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for one night. The staff was very friendly and I was pleased that the room was cheaper than what I had found online. We stayed in a queen suite which worked out well. The furniture (couches, floor) were very stained but it was late and we were only sleeping in the beds. Beds were fine-didn't have a problem with the mattresses.
Breakfast was ok in the morning. I like cereal and muffins for breakfast so I thought it was fine-just don't expect a big spread or anything special. If we were passing through Raton again I would stay here.

Room Tip: Second Floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Raton, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review. We value your feedback. We pride ourselves in keeping this property up. Unfortunately, we recently purchased some soft furniture for all the rooms which has material which is very hard to keep clean, and the maintenance is having to shampoo it at least 2 times a week and often times can’t remove the stains. We have been looking into fabrics to have the upholstery redone on this furniture, but haven’t decided yet on what fabric. As you are most likely aware, Microtel has received “Highest in Guest Satisfaction among Economy/Budget Hotel Chains, Ten Years in a Row” by J.D. Power and Associates, so our standards are kept really high with regular inspections. Therefore, you will find the rooms are very nice and clean. The property is fairly new and everything has to be kept in very good condition to pass inspections. However, in order to keep our costs down as an economy chain, we try to offer a breakfast which covers most of the basics.

I am very concerned you noticed a stain on the floor in the rooms and wish you would have brought this to our attention when you stayed, so we would know where it was and cleaned it immediately or replaced the carpet. We do have a regular schedule where we shampoo the rooms.

We hope that you will allow us to be of service again in the future. Thank you again for your comments.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Traveling w kids ages 11 and 7; they loved the sofa bed and lighting fixtures above it.
Comfortable for a one night stay for our family of 4.
Breakfast was fine for the value: good variety of food: juices, coffee, teas, milk; pastries, cereal, micro oatmeal, toaster waffles, yogurt and fruit. Would stay again based on value.
Kids wld have liked a pool if we were staying longer, do we wld have to go w one of the Other hotels which were $50 more.

• Stayed June 2012
Craig, CO.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

This motel was at the intersection where I needed to head east, so I checked in. The service was good, and the room was quite nice. It was nicely equipped and clean. No complaints at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Raton
Casa Lemus Inn & Restaurant
Raton Pass Inn
Raton Pass Inn
#3 of 18 in Raton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raton

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Raton? Share your experiences!