“Mixed feelings”

Travelodge Raton
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Raton
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

The thin white lady who checked us into our room was great. She gave me a small discount when I asked, showed me on a map where our room was, and also offered us coffee in the morning. They even had the heater on so when we got to our room it was already warm! The house keeper, Brent, was also very helpful when I forgot something after check out. However, a Mexican lady who worked there, called us at 2:30 in the morning to make us move our truck and trailer and said it was taking up too many spaces and there was no where else for other guests to park... Ok. No problem. Except when my husband went to move it, he noticed several empty spaces and then in the morning the spaces our tuck and trailer had previously occupied were still empty! So thank you lady for waking us up for no reason after driving for 13 hours straight.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle R
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Travelodge Raton, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Danielle,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oakman, Alabama
Reviewed October 26, 2013

we were on a return from Colorado Springs and chose this place because it was late and we were tired. One of the best Motel 6 we had stayed nice room, great staff, and great value. Granted this is not the place if you are looking for luxury but for weary people looking for a place to stay it was great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The hotel was clean ans the bed was comfortable. If those things are all that you require then it's a fine hotel. What I didn't like was the way they nickel and dime a person. The room was only a few dollars cheaper than the Super 8 next door But I could have saved money by paying the extra.

This motel charges extra for a mini fridge ($3), for a tiny microwave ($3) and get this, $3 extra for EACH DEVICE connected to their internet. On top of that, they offer no breakfast of any type and when I checked out at 7am, the coffee wasn't even ready.

Back to the fridge and microwave - I did not ask for those items nor did I want them but when I told the desk clerk this his answer was, "But they're already in the room." I say so? He then replied that he has to charge me because they were already there. I wasn't in the mood to argue so I paid but I am regretting it now. And, I didn't use the items.

You might pay a little more somewhere else but it will be worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Travelodge Raton, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Ronbo400,
Thank you for taking the tie to submit a review. We apologize for your unsatisfactory stay and encourage you to contact our guest relations department to report your experience. 1-800-557-3435.

Travelers are raving about these Raton hotels

Fort Mohave
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Check in was ok but room was just awful. Sheets had hairs on them when I complained to the front desk he asked me to come in and get clean sheets. I then had to remake the bed myself. This was the only concession given, clean sheets. Ice machine was broken. Pool was closed for repairs. WIFI is an extra charge. Hmmmm? Never again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was only $47 for two of us for a weekday rate, $39+tax for one. Staff was very pleasant but when you have the night check in via the window sadly you need to try to read lips because the 4 soda machines are very loud but she did a great job at pointing on a map where our room was and pointing at the paperwork where we needed to fill it in. The rooms are very old and sadly not cleaned very well. The bathrooms need a good cleaning around the floor boards and walls. The shower is one of those corner rounded units that the shower head comes out of the side opposite the wall. Not an easy shower for a 6' tall person or a lady trying to shave her legs. The one thing I disliked the most was the worn out old blanket used on the bed. Both rooms had the same nasty blanket. They do offer extra parking in a lot next to the hotel for trailers and RV's. So all in all if you are just passing through and need a cheap room for a night this is the place bed was clean, not super comfortable but clean, just was not fond of the blanket and I am sure we will stay there again when passing through.

Room Tip: Request a room on the bottom floor much easier to get to. Hotel had several people, including us, ch...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We came in with reasonable expectations as we were tired. A polite man at check in was very accommodating when we let him know that we could hear either a cell phone or a trumpet (! Honestly not sure!) amplified through the wall when we got in, and moved us to one of the many visibly empty rooms. Our next room was fine except the back of the toilet seat had not been cleaned.
Long story short, moved again, but desk attendant changed in between. Startled to hear a woman--the manager-- loudly complaining on the phone outside our new room that the toilet was cleaned (honestly, either vomit or a large yellow sweat stain on the toilet!) and that we had left our room untidy (one bed unmade, since we had gotten in and were tired before realizing they hadn't cleaned it!) and that we had left the door open, which we realized we must have done and would have felt awful about if she had not been so rude. She also complained she didn't even know where we had been moved to, implying she as going to come give us a talking-to. Anyway my husband went to the front desk to clarify and work something out and realized she DID know we were in our new room that she had been shouting outside of, and on top of it all was upset we were still awake after asking to be moved from a crazy noisy room (like the only reason not to want to hear every single movement your neighbor makes is that you want to sleep instantly!). For the record we traveled for 1 month and were happy with every other place we stayed. Anyway the woman who spoke to us at the front desk was not the manager and said the manager was irritable, but seemed to also think maybe it was our fault for being picky about yellow gunk and loud noise in our room when there were obviously plenty of other rooms free.
Also for the record, we didn't ask to be moved the second time, but didn't have cleaning products and said we assumed the cleaning crew was not present at midnight, so the nice gentleman at the desk earlier in the night moved us. So we were in no way demanding!
We left early in the morning after a horrible night's sleep, afraid the manager was going to knock down our door or something. It's unbelievable that someone in a management position would make a show like that to intimidate guests.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Grrbrr
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I decided to give this location another chance.( A while back, we checked in only to learn that there was NO RUNNING WATER. We went down to the Front Desk where they were advising some travelers of that very fact. When we asked why WE weren't informed before checking in ( we had reservations), the front desk just shrugged. We asked for our refund and went over to the Super 8 around the Parking Lot.)... THIS time, we decided to give it another try as 'stuff happens' beyond one's control and this location IS great and the rate IS economical. NO GO. We were travelling with my 6 yr old grandson who was REALLY looking forward to the pool. Front Desk said that she was TOLD that the Maintenance man had opened the pool in the early a.m., but had put in too many chemicals and now it was closed indefinitely. I looked at the pool, you could not see the bottom, leaves were floating on top. I had my doubts that this pool had been opened at all, period. Upon arriving in the rooms, we were greeted by a strong, strange smell. Chemical? Ozone machine left on too long? Dogs? I went to the Front Desk and the clerk, bless her heart, apologized and gave me another room key to go check out another room. Same odor. She suggested that we open the windows and let it air out. Upon returning to the original room to open the windows, I discovered that the window had a LONG Diagonal crack in it from top to bottom. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was not only NOT operational, it was missing it's cover, revealing the cutout hole in the wall and it's gutted workings. Since we were only staying one night. We went to the local Kmart store and bought a can of Febreeze, thoroughly spraying the CARPETS (which looked pretty old and downtrodden), the intake air vents, and the room itself.
Both Front Desk personnel that we encountered were friendly. A Groundskeeper that we encountered was friendly. The employees were great. This Motel 6 Property is NOT.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharolyn L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Raton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Raton
#4 of 10 in Trinidad
Super 8 Raton
Super 8 Raton
#13 of 18 in Raton

Been to Travelodge Raton? Share your experiences!