“Decent food, better atmosphere”

Ranchos Plaza Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dallas Texas
“Decent food, better atmosphere”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Several locals recommended Ranchos Plaza Grill, as a matter of fact, they raved about it. I think it was a wee bit overrated, but that's okay. I had the chicken tacos and they were a little too salty, but good. My friend had the carne adovada, which was riddled with fat and gristle. The red and green chile, the beans and the sopapillas were good. Basically, everything was decent except for the carne adovada. The building was actually where the nuns used to stay, a great old adoble building. It was a little hot inside the building that afternoon, but the outdoor dining (which was full) looked great. Be sure and check out the surrounding shops.

Taos, New Mexico
“Classic New Mexican!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have wanted to eat here for awhile, but have always missed the hours. Breakfast is only served Sunday. We made it last week and were not disappointed! Classic old adobe building probably as old as the church. Great service and atmosphere. Classic carne adovada with perfect hashbrowns and spectacular beans. Hard to find good green chile in Taos. Mostly some kind of soupy, geletan mess. However, this was by far the best "soupy" style green chile I've ever had. The flavors were great with perfect pork and spice. I can't wait to go back for lunch/dinner and get a bowl of it. Who would have known...good green chile in Taos? Hands down, the best New Mexican food breakfast in Taos!

• Visited November 2013
Cottonwood, Arizona
“To Each Their Own”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I lived in Albuquerque for over 30 years and have enjoyed some extraordinary food in hole-in-the-wall places throughout the SW. In my youth I traveled in Mexico and thus know the difference between Mexican & NEW Mexican.

The food was good, but it lacked distinction. I had the relleno plate. The rellenos were the soft kind, not the crisp, deep-fried I prefer. The real letdown was the chilis which were almost tasteless. She had the vegetarian enchilada plate and it was better.

Pagosa Springs, Colorado, United States
“Perfection”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My partner and I had lunch there and later when back for dinner. Though the restaurant was packed the service was good. The food was ample and spectacular. I had the Veggie enchiladas which were excellent with fresh grilled vegetables in them. Was very impressed by the green Chile. My partner raved about the Chicken tacos. Everything was outstanding! The menu was diverse and left lots of new options to try in the future which can't come too soon!

Tucson, Arizona
“Felt Like Applauding”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Such a hidden gem. Tucked away in the plaza of one of the oldest mission churches in the southwest is some of the best food on the planet. Don't miss this one. I was in Taos to shoot pictures of the mission and the parking lot full of cars was blocking my shot so I went in to kill some time and wait for the right light. I ordered what I thought were simple beef tacos and was blown away by the flavor. The salsa is spectacular, very spicy but not hot, loved it. I live in the southwest (Tucson) and have eaten thousands of of tacos in my time but these were the best by far. The sopapillas are worth the trip by themselves. This is the best meal I've had in New Mexico and it was only $13. Service was great too.The parking lot was still full when I left so I'll have to go back to get my picture.

• Visited November 2013