“A great surprise.”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This restaurant is nestled nearly alongside the famous San Francisco Church in Ranchos. It could easily, then, simply be a mediocre restaurant capitalizing on the tourists who flock here. What a wonderful surprise to find it to be just the opposite. The food is very good, the service is friendly, and the setting is lovely. Expect to find mainly homemade, traditional Northern New Mexico food. I especially like the red chile, the crispy beef tacos (fried in-house, not shells), and guacamole. The latter is a surprise as well, as I normally don't like it. elsewhere. Don't be alarmed if it looks full, as it has several connecting rooms that fill an old Hacienda. A very nice place for lunch.

1  Thank HappyTravels39

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Terrific atmosphere and setting, this restaurant provides outdoor seating shaded and cool. The building is a historic in a historic area. Attentive staff and wonderful food will give you a great experience

1  Thank 1Dad
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We were staying just a short walk up the road at Adobe & Pines B&B, and went to Ranchos Plaza Grill. We had noticed it when stopping in at the beautiful St. Francis de Asis church. I got the two-item combination plate with an enchilada and relleno, both were delicious especially with the red chile. I got 3 extra corn tortillas too for only $1. My wife got the stuffed sopaipilla which was very good.
The wait staff was very attentive and we really liked the young lady who waited our table...very polite New Mexican girl, which was indicative of the rest of the crew. If we come back to the Taos area, we'll definiitely stop by!

2  Thank MySalsa
Reviewed June 4, 2011

My husband introduced me to this fabulous little family restaurant as he had previously stopped to take photos of the historic St. Francisco de Assis church next door (one of the most photogenic missions in the state). We elected to wait 10 minutes for a table on the outdoor patio (due to Sunday afternoon church crowd) and it was well worth it. The weather was lovely, the view superb and the food marvelous. The wait staff was almost overwhelming. We both ordered enchilidas (mine red and his green) so we could compare the two. Our food came out fast and hot, and what a surprise. I am used to TexMex, where everything is drowned in cheese, so I expected the red chile to be very spicy. But instead it was medium heat with the distinct smoky flavor only found in New Mexican food. The green was a little spicer but just as good. I would say this food was as good as the reknown Rancho de Chimayo (where we ate 2 days later) but at a lower price. And the sopapillas with local honey are the best dessert ever. More than enough to eat. This was my most favorite restaurant on our 10 day trip.

2  Thank WagzLady
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Service was friendly and attentive. Several times we were visited by staff besides our waitress asking how everything was and if we needed anything. Impressive for this area! I had never experienced this here until the Plaza Grill. The food was great, especially the sopapillas. We will be back.

1  Thank CustomerService1978