“Old is New”
Review of Old Martina's Hall

Old Martina's Hall
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: O.M.H. Is a historic adobe nestled in the heart of the original Ranchos de Taos. Our fare is a marriage of contemporary, Southwestern flavors with New Mexican cuisine, serving Brunch and Dinner. The Bar has many local and import beers on tap with fine French, Italian, Domestic and Local wines on our list. Check our online calendar for upcoming Live Music shows!
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Hall is completely renovated and spectacular with okay happy hour drinks and food. Worth a stop for the view from the balcony of the church.

There are newer reviews for Old Martina's Hall

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Located directly across from the famous St. Francis church in Ranchos de Taos, this beautifully and correctly restored adobe building offers matching high quality cuisine, including seafood. The steak was cooked and seasoned carefully , and the seafood pasta had unusually good clams and mussels. The wine list is varied and modestly priced. There is music available at the bar on some evenings. Service is helpful, and patrons are not hurried. Parking is ample.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband, brother, and elderly mother traveled to Taos over Memorial Day weekend to meet up with some friends. Our friends recommended Old Martina's Hall, and we certainly were not disappointed! The owners carefully preserved many original aspects of this ancient structure when they remodeled, and we enjoyed taking a tour of the whole place, which includes a large dance hall with stage and a rooftop balcony for dining. The balcony overlooks the Ranchos de Taos church, famously painted by Georgia O'Keeffe. Spectacular doesn't even begin to describe the ambiance!

Before we left Albuquerque, I called the restaurant to find out if we needed a reservation, since there would be six in our party. Although my call went to voicemail, a staff person promptly called me back and put our party down in her book to ensure we'd get a table. That high level of customer service set the tone for the rest of our visit after we arrived. All of the staff were smiling and friendly, and the manager took time to chat with us at some length to tell us about the facility and menu.

I was concerned the menu may not please everyone in our party, since my mom and brother don't care much for "fancy" food, but the menu at Old Martina's had something for everyone. My mom loved the candied bacon in the BLT, though she was not enamored of the cole slaw, which is more of a Bavarian style (sort of pickled). My brother enjoyed his quesadilla and even commented on the great presentation of the plate. I had the quiche of the day with sun-dried tomatoes, along with a small salad. I absolutely loved the house dressing, which is a very light vinaigrette that's not too sour. Also, the salad wasn't drowning in dressing -- always a nice touch. Others in our group had the simple breakfast skillet (great), the breakfast burrito (huge, and it comes with whole beans and potatoes on the side) and the huevos rancheros (a perfectly sized portion).

Being Old Martina's is located in New Mexico, you can't write a review without saying a word about the chile. Both of my companions had both red and green chile (or "Christmas," if you prefer). The green chile was absolutely delicious, not too spicy, and the red chile had that rich, deep flavor you expect. Out of this world.

I absolutely would recommend Old Martina's Hall for lunch or dinner (or dancing!) if you're in Taos. In fact, I would say: Do not miss out! It's a rare opportunity to dine at a reasonable price (most lunch dishes were under $10) in a truly historical building.

1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We visited for lunch again today with some friends and found that Old Martina's Hall had over-hauled the menu. We ordered a variety of things, and I will say that everything was delicious! The Candied Bacon BLT (yes, you heard right: Bacon Candy!!) was just fantastic, as was the curried chicken salad sandwich. Side salads were fresh and beautifully dressed. Chicken schnitzel was crispy and light, although just a touch dry. The batter fries were light and crispy as well. The linzer torte and peach tart were perfect. So glad we stopped in. Highly recommend for lunch. And they serve breakfast until 3!

They also have music and dancing, with dinner on many nights. Look forward to going some evening. Check it out!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

On the second night of our weeklong tour of northern New Mexico and southern Colorado (and our second night in Taos) we had dinner at Old Martina's. It was recommended by our outstanding server at Doc Martin's when we inquired where else we should eat during our stay. We were not disappointed.

The restaurant is located directly across the highway from the historic and mightily photogenic San Francisco de Asis church. The decor is casual, but with a touch of rustic elegance.

I had the "Gold Canyon Ranch Flat Iron Steak," which came slathered in a terrific green peppercorn sauce and accompanied by vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes. It was perfectly prepared.

Caron had the "Stuffed Poblano Pepper," which was stuffed with quinoa and corn, with a spicy tomato coulis, cilantro crema and feta. I did not sample her entree, but I know she was very pleased with it.

The service was very good. And our visit was made more enjoyable yet by the fine jazz guitarist that started (about halfway through our meal) playing a nice selection of jazz standards solo (à la Joe Pass).

I salute our server at Doc Martin's for recommending this place. We enjoyed both restaurants very much, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. That said, you'll probably spend a little more -- and get a little more -- at Old Martina's.

1  Thank Grumpy_Dutch