“Highly Recommended”

Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Our three nights at the Adobe and Pines Inn were thoroughly enjoyable in every aspect. The Inn itself is set back from the main road by trees and vegetation, and provides a feeling of serenity. Our room was the smallest available, yet very comfortable and well-appointed. Innkeepers Louis and Katherine are clearly experienced in their trade, knowledgeable of the area, and were truly interested in helping us make the most of our time in Taos.

We would not hesitate to recommend the Adobe and Pines Inn, and are already planning a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2008

Reviewed September 6, 2008

This B&B was special. It had many unique and personal touches such as, raven carvings in the tree outside our door, friendly cats and dogs that visited with us, beautiful plants on the grounds, unique hand-made railings, cute pygmy goats, a friendly maintenance man, and more. It had a casual feel, but was not any less special than a "ritzy" place. It lent the perfect feeling for the casualness of Taos. We stayed in two rooms, a different room each night, because we reserved at the last minute and they didn't have any one room available for both nights. I am glad we stayed in two different rooms because each room is so unique and added to the special feeling of the place. Our first room had a roof-top porch and a huge bathroom. Our second room had the most unique tiled floor. It also had two fireplaces! One was in the bathroom! The decorating is beautifully done in both of the rooms in which we stayed. The beds were very comfortable. Oh, and the innskeepers were great, too! Without them, the place wouldn't be nearly as special.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2008

I usually don't follow through on writing to review our travels, but I simply had to share the amazing experience my family and I had recently at the Adobe and Pines Inn. We were traveling through the area and booked two nights; now, we are already planning a week long stay for next winter! We were graciously greeted by innkeepers Katherine and Louis; their charm and knowledge of the area and the local highlights certainly helped us to plan immensely. They were so friendly and accomodating, and the absolute highlight of our stay was going to the expansive and delectable breakfasts Louis served us each morning. The first day we were treated to homemade fruit pancakes; so different, something I never get at home, and such a treat!

CIA-trained Chef Louis made everything so beautiful it was a pleasure to just look at. The second day we had omlettes that were out of this world. We were staying in Puerto Blanca; the room is magnificent; tastefully decorated, relaxing and quiet, and so spacious! The private hot tub, just outside the room was a special joy to my husband and I; no need to leave the kids! Our family enjoyed spending time on the grounds; one of the reasons that we so enjoyed staying here was the quaint attention to detail these innkeepers have paid to making everything flow and be so pleasing to the eye. Katherine is an animal friend, and their adopted "family" of cats and dogs only added to the charm and delight my family shared with them in the courtyard.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay. The Adobe allows pets so we brought our dogs...they loved it too! We stayed in the Puerto Roja and it was beautiful and very clean. The breakfasts we had were delicious. I would recommend this B & B to anyone looking for a place to stay in Taos.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My Husband and i just returned from the Adobe Pines Inn today, and we could not wait to get on and write a review. We traveled from Denver for our first anniversary, and we could not have asked for a more romantic and relaxing weekend.

First of all let me say that the breakfast itself is worth the visit in itself. We had three of the most amazing meals ever and Louise is a wiz with breakfast. We stayed in the Purto Violeta Room which was wonderful, and had an nice deck we could have coffee or a glass of wine on etc.

We brought our two big dogs along for the trip and I think they loved it just as much as we did. The owners have a couple of great dogs themselves and were very receptive to our pups.

I would highly recommend visiting Adobe Pines.

I know we'll be back soon!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I booked Adobe and Pines as the capstone to our week stay in Taos. It was the most expensive room, actually a two-bedroom suite with full kitchen and private outdoor hot tub. Although I am sure this inn would be ideal for other travelers, we left feeling we had paid a great deal of money for a disappointing experience.

On the plus side: The suite was immaculate and it was obvious that great care had been taken with decoration elements. Katherine, the innkeeper who met us, was very warm and friendly. The grounds are cute, including some farm animals--turkeys, chickens, pygmie goats--which would surely be a hit with young kids. The suite had several TV/VCR/DVD players, board games,etc. There is a serious VCR/DVD library in the lobby. The private outdoor hot tub was wonderful, and there were wonderful, luxurious robes and slippers.

On the down side: Adobe and Pines is situated right next to the highway, and although there is a visual screen of trees, the noise of the road is pretty loud and constant. We had just come from two nights of incredible mesa quiet staying in a rental Earthship, and this traffic noise while we were on the patio was disappointing. Our first three nights were in an inexpensive, conventional hotel right on Paseo del Pueblo Sur (the main drag) and it was very quiet, because the rooms were set back from the street. A personal bias also--and this is a matter of taste to be taken with a grain of salt--is that the room decorations felt overdone--there was just so much southwest stuff everywhere you looked, it felt contrived and kitschy rather than unique and organic to the area.

The biggest problem, and for me this was huge: there was so much STRONG fragrance in ALL the bedding--sheets, pillowcases, blankets, and comforter--that I barely slept all night. I'm not talking about a trace of flowery smell here--it was absolutely overpowering. I was exhausted and thought maybe I would fall asleep anyway, but after 15 minutes my eyes were burning, I was coughing, and my skin started to burn! I got up and had to shower because by then I smelled like the sheets. Sorry, but it was awful. I pulled the comforter off the bed in the second bedroom and it didn't smell as strong, so I basically wrapped up in it and slept with no pillow. I don't write this to be unkind to our hosts. Hopefully, it will help them rethink their fabric softener use (or whatever it was they used on the bedding.) There was also an oil fragrance diffuser in the living room that was pretty strong. I know some people who like a lot of strong fragrance, but I prefer the clean, cottony smell of clean, fresh sheets with no strong scents. Although this may seem like a minor point, it pretty much ruined my stay, due to getting almost no sleep.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank newbaku
Reviewed August 22, 2008

The room was one of the best we have ever stayed in. Problems...only refreshment to greet us on arrival was a small bottle of water. The breakfasts were terrible, First day pancakes with pecans, berries and butterscotch. Link sausage fried to a crisp. Heavy and yuk! Second day cheese blitz with chocalate and some other green sauce poured over it. Also same link sausage. YUK! YUK! To top it off each plate had day old slices of fruit decorating the outside edge. Why? Is this what we accept as a gourmet breakfast? Just love those morning sugar highs. One of the guys that works there said the other thing they serve is an omelet, He said they rotate these three dishes. As good as the room was we will not be going back.

Stayed: August 2008
Dreamcatcher Bed & Breakfast
El Pueblo Lodge
El Pueblo Lodge
#1 of 15 in Taos

Been to Adobe and Pines Inn B&B? Share your experiences!