“Great Tour -- Super site and visit”

Sky City Cultural Center & Haak'u Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Sky City Cultural Center and Haak’u Museum, rich in cultural architecture, serves as the reception center and museum for visitors to the Pueblo of Acoma, as well as a research and community use facility for tribal members. The primary 40,000 square foot Cultural Center is a two story structure with a basement and central courtyard/plaza area. The Cultural Center was designed to represent and recreate the ancestral architectural styles of the Acoma people – which include natural stacked stone and natural mud plastered adobe – while showcasing Acoma Pueblo architecture both past and present. This world class facility is dedicated to the preservation of Acoma history, traditional pottery and other art forms, the repatriation of objects of cultural patrimony and the development of both educational and interpretive programs.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had a great time at Sky City. I had wanted to visit for many years and finally got a chance. The tour guide Brandon was wonderful, very knowledgeable, friendly and welcoming. I very much enjoyed learning about the lives of the Acoma people, their history and culture. The scenery from the top of the mesa was awesome. The Cultural Center was beautiful. The museum was small but contained many well representative pieces of the Acoma Pueblo life. We had a wonderful visit and hope to come back. My husband walked, or rather climbed down at the end from the top of the mesa and really enjoyed the challenge of the climb down. JC from San Mateo California

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We just got back from New Mexico and Sky City Cultural Center and the tour to the homes on the Mesa was one of the highlights of our trip. We booked through Sky City Casino which included a night's stay, breakfast, museum pass, the tour to the mesa top and lunch. Geri was our guide and she was terrific. So knowledgeable and pleasant. Thanks for the great tour, Geri, and for sharing your ancestry with us. The lunch at the center was yummy. Great deal and a must if you are in the area.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our visit to the Acoma Sky City Cultural Center was a highlight of our trip.

Our guide was informative and entertaining and was a great representative of a young person living her culture as well as our dominant culture. We learned so much history from both before and after the Spanish came.

Shopping is not usually something I do on trips, but I really wanted some Acoma pottery. We ended up with 3 pieces, all bought directly from the artist, which made it really special. We also bought some smaller items for gifts.

I also want to give them credit for excellent customer service. The van took us back to the museum after the tour. However, there was an option to stay, shop a little longer, and walk down and back. My husband chose to do this. There was a family (from Italy I think) that spoke very little English and did not understand the choice. They were not prepared to walk down. The guide called for another van, which came promptly. My husband was very impressed that they resolved the situation so easily and quickly.

The museum was small but lovely. It was the last day of a pottery show, which I really enjoyed.

We had lunch at the museum. The fry bread is so yummy. A very pleasant place to have lunch.

Acoma Sky City and the Sky City Hotel are definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Having toured many prehistoric ruins and villages tucked away far from normal vision, I found the Acoma pueblo and the cultural center a great place to learn about a great people. I even found some information I will be using in my next book, "When the Spirits Move", a story about the legends and myths of the people who lived through the earthquakes and volcanoes of the 10th century. The people and the primitive way in which they live far above the valley that surrounds them, and the hand-crafted pottery, jewelry, and the flint-knapped arrowheads were beautiful reminders of a peaceful culture of centuries ago. Our guide, Geri, was very knowledgeable and
was a real pleasure to talk with. This is a place that speaks quietly of history.
Donald L. Ensenbach

SkyCity_C_C, Director at Sky City Cultural Center & Haak'u Museum, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Donald, Thank you for visiting Acoma Sky City and I am glad to hear that Geri did a good job of telling our history and that you experienced our living history.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our guide, Mateo, and our tour. A breath-taking place filled with a rich history. The museum is a beautiful and peaceful space. Mateo is knowledgable, respectful of her heritage, and a delightful person. A truly magical day.