“Nice for a stop through”

Sky City Casino Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pueblo of Acoma
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Reviews of this hotel convinced me that it would be fine for a night with our family while driving through, and it lived up to the reviews.

The hotel is clean, friendly, and well priced. It wasn't noisy or smoky as I feared. The living room area smelled like someone had smoked a pipe or cigar in it, but I was the only one it bothered, and the bedroom was luxurious and nice.

We got a suite with bedroom with King bed, and separate living area with pull out couch for our 3 kids. Had a kitchenette with coffee maker and mini-fridge and microwave.

Parking was hard because of the casino visitors... my husband had to park really far out in the evening, but when he went out later to get something he was able to move closer.

Pool area looked really nice, but we weren't there long enough for that.

DON'T include the breakfast... the hotel charges $20 extra for a room to have 2 breakfast certificates, and the breakfast only costs $7. Plus when we went to use them, they used our 2 certificates for the kids prices and still charged us for the adult prices.
It was a really small buffet for the price... and they never refilled our juice cups.

Room Tip: Don't include the breakfast in the room price, they charge more than the restaurant does, or the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kara L
There are newer reviews for Sky City Casino Hotel

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a relatively nice property more or less in the "middle of nowhere". It is handy if you are going to drive south to Santa Fe via various scenic highways (El Malpais National Monument, et al). The property is part of the Acoma Indian Reservation which means No Alcohol--not in food venues and not in your room. You must sign a declaration sayng you will allow confiscation if you have boose in your room. The room was nicely sized, with comfortable beds, flat screen t.v., 2 chairs with a smallish desk/table. It appeared to be clean, there was a little discoloration in the bathroom floor grout and in corners. The casino portion of this property was overly smokey, it will make your eyes water. I would have rated this property higher had we not experienced a bit of "bait and switch". Driving from Albuquerque we saw numerous billboards stating that a room Monday through Thursday was $59. When we checked in I asked "What is your best rate?" and was told $79. I did not ask about the billboard rate. Apparently if you ask about the billboard rate you will get that rate. I discovered this at checkout and was a bit nonplussed. For $79 it was a fair room, for $59 it would have been and excellent room.

Room Tip: ASK FOR THE BILLBOARD RATE. And the higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our stay at the Sky City Casino Hotel was comfortable, peaceful and pleasant. The staff were so polite and friendly. The hotel accommodations were clean, simple and tasteful, this being more than adequate for my husband and me who are seasoned desert travelers. That the hotel and casino were alcohol free was a plus in our estimation thereby eliminating the smells and behaviors which often accompany the presence of alcohol in public places. The food and service at this establishment were excellent. The free breakfast buffet was filled with a variety of delicious and well prepared breakfast selections from which to choose. My husband enjoyed the casino's Blackjack tables, but could do with out the smoke, which was far less than in other casinos that we have visited. Sky City Casino and Hotel was the perfect way station for us to stop at during our desert hiking trip this year. We plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are less expensive, but not as nice as the rooms located above.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandstoneone
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Sky City Casino Hotel is more than a desert outpost. It's a good sleep in a comfortable bed in an attractive facility which offers surprisingly tasty, reasonably priced food in its adjacent casino restaurants. As others have noted, both the hotel and the casino are alcohol free; I wish the casino had been smoke free, too. There's even a major truck stop next to the hotel if you are traveling in a vehicle with multiple wheels. The somewhat smaller rooms on the first floor are reserved for lower cost "Traveler Specials" and can be a bit noisy; rooms on the floors above are larger and slightly more pricey with additional amenities. According the man at the desk, all rooms also include a free breakfast buffet. A convenient and pleasant way-station along Interstate 40.

Room Tip: Second and Third floor rooms are larger and quieter, albeit somewhat more expensive. Ask for an int...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had previously stopped here on a drive to Phoenix to visit the casino, so we thought it might be a good place to stay on another drive out. Well, the place just smells of something that my wife and I found very offensive. Not sure what it was, but terrible. They advertise wifi in the rooms, which we use all the time when we travel, but it wouldn't work. The bedding didn't seem very clean and had the odor we noticed in the other areas, lobby, etc. And we found all the people, from check in to the casino to check out unfriendly. I guess to sum the experience up we were up and checked out very early the next morning. A shame because with a quick mart/gas station next door, and a McDonalds for morning coffee it should have worked, but fell very short on all points for us. Oh..and the parking is a challenge.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jucoman
Lgrant2001, Manager at Sky City Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

I have brought your comments to our facilities manager and he has assured me there is no odor in the hotel at present. We sincerely apologize that you experienced any bad odor. My only guess is that it may have been the heaters recently turned on. Sometimes they emit an odor when first turned on. We actually have a tropical breeze scent we use throughout the property. We freshen our carpets frequently by steam cleaning them. We take pride in our hotel and our housekeeping team members take pride in a very clean room product. It appears we fell short with the room you stayed in. I have also contacted our IT department to address the issue you had with the internet. He has assured me all bandwidths are working at present. There was an internet and cell phone outage in the area all the way to Gallup, NM. I think that may have been during your stay with us. The fiber optic cable has been repaired.
I also am taking your comments very seriously regarding the front desk staff team members and the casino team members unfriendliness. We hope you give us another chance. If you read other surveys you will see this is not our normal behavior. Please contact me directly and I will make sure you have an excellent and memorable stay with us.
Sky City Casino Hotel,
Laura Grant
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were driving at night, looking for a place to stop it was dark out, my husband had his doubts, when I spotted this place on the signs on the Road. it said, $59 a night mon- Thursday and it was Thursday- so, he stopped. It was packed, He went in and got the room- when we opened the door the room was Clean, Neat and I could of lived there- The casino isn't the best, but the people and staff were great and helpful, We would openly share this wth everybody that travels. Food was Great-The Staff were Great- What more can I say-

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sans5trips
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel was clean, although well used and staff were very friendly. The big surprise was that the hotel is on a dry reserve which we were not told about until after checking in. We had to sign a paper stating we would not have alcohol in our room & if we did, we would be asked to leave and would forfeit our room cost plus the $25 hold on our credit card for incidentals. This policy is not stated anywhere on the hotel's website. After a day of driving, my husband and I enjoy a drink or glass of wine and we would not have stayed here had we known the policy.
The restaurant and food were very good. The casino was fine and not as "smokey" as other casinos we have visited in the US.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
#7 of 11 in Grants
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 11 in Grants

Been to Sky City Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!