“Not worth the money”

Cattle Baron Steak & Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 30 Restaurants in Portales
Cuisines: American
Description: Small Town Burger Rivals Any Big City… In LA or NY I would expect to pay $15+ for this quality of burger. Not so in the little dairy and peanut capital of Portales, New Mexico. We were passing through on business and stopped by the Cattle Baron for lunch. I ordered their Rio Grande burger with green chile and Monterey jack cheese. Flavorful, quality hand-formed beef. This is not a manufactured pressed patty. I like mine well done and it was still mouth watering tender delicious beef on a fresh baked roll. The green chile was not overpowering, the cheese was perfectly melted and quite a thick cut. I pushed the tomato, onions and lettuce to the side and let the trio of beef, chile and cheese make my day. We were told there are a few Cattle Baron restaurants in surrounding areas and I believe also Lubbock, TX (check their website for locations.) Next time we drop in we want to try the ribeye, but one of us will definitely order the Rio Grande – what a fantastic surprise to stumble upon! P.S. order the fries extra crispy, ours were good but a little limp.
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I went only once. The salad bar items looked old and the cheese burger I had didn't taste any different then one I could get at a fast food restaurant. It's very expensive fast food.

1  Thank Sharon H

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Cattle Baron is a steakhouse of about the same price/quality level as an Outback or Lone Star.

Pros: Nice salad and soup bar that comes with the meals, steaks and prime rib are of generous size for the money, baked potatoes were loaded and tasty.

Cons: Kind of run down in ambience, not really romantic, much more functional and family-oriented. Biggest drawback is that it is apparently pointless to tell the waiters how you want the steaks cooked. I ordered a prime rib "medium" and it was served bloody. Others in my party had similar experience, and in the same direction, so if you want medium, order well-down, etc. Also, meat was just average quality not quite worth the price.

1  Thank stevej4
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Salad bar too much pasta, not enough fruits and veggies. Catfish is NOT catfish. I couldn't eat it. Best part of meal was the fresh baked bread.

2  Thank n5wbh