All reviewssilver citybuckhorn saloongila cliff dwellingscharcoal grillnatural woodmining towndish tvloft bedroomcovered walkwayrustic settingpine forestnew mexicorelaxing getawayfull bathhot tubsatellite tvcheck in was easy
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a very quick (2 nights/3 days) trip to the Silver City, NM area and had a good experience at Bear Creek Motels & Cabins. The advance phone discussions my husband had previous to our arrival led to a complimentary upgrade to Cabin 12, which is the furthest from the entrance and, therefore, the most private. This upgrade was totally unexpected, and a very nice surprise!
We were very happy to enjoy two pleasant, quiet nights and appreciated the many amenities of the cabin. I particularly enjoyed the 2nd story bedroom, since I prefer to sleep upstairs....always. The private balcony off the bedroom, with comfortable adirondack chairs, was a very nice place to enjoy the forest atmosphere!!
Another thing that is obvious about the cabins is how carefully prepared they are for the "needs" of modern travelers>>>>FROM EXTRA TOWELS TO WOOD FOR A FIRE TO BOX FANS AND A SPACE HEATER STORED AWAY FOR OCCASIONAL CHANGES IN WEATHER!
MY ONLY WISH IS THAT THIS UNIQUE "STOPPING OFF" PLACE COULD BE WORKED ON A BIT>>>>>THE BUILDINGS ARE SOLIDLY CONSTRUCTED AND IT WOULDN"T TAKE MUCH TO CREATE A MORE UPDATED LOOK>>>>THE GROUNDS COULD USE SOME ATTENTION>>>>SOME TENDER_LOVING CARE WOULD REALLY MAKE THIS PLACE WONDERFUL>BECKY IN ALBUQUERQUE

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AbqRRMom
Reviewed May 3, 2009

We spend Halloween 2008 in a cabin in the woods. I think an ad in a New Mexico magazine led us to the Bear Creek Motel. We loved it. Nice, cozy, clean, friendly staff, birds, squirrels, peace and quiet. We really loved it!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2008

We visited Silver City for the first time this November and stayed at the wonderful Bear Creek Cabins in nearby Pinos Altos. We had the dog with us and were pleased that they allowed dogs; plus the trails to walk him were plentiful, and right near our cabin. Art was extremely helpful making reservations for us, telling us driving times to the many attractions in the area, and giving us extra kindling. Since they weren't super busy the nights we stayed, he upgraded us and only charged us the rate we would have paid for the other cabin. The cabins are rustic yet romantic, with comfy beds and skylights. You can eat outdoors on your patio, enjoy a blazing fire, and the aforementioned great hikes abound. I loved that the cabins were two stories, as the upper-level patios were so inviting for bird watching. Just a great woodsy hide-away and we can't wait to go back! Also:In Silver City, we ate a FANTASTIC meal with a superlative wine selection and a great chef who came out and mingled with his fans at Shevek and Co (575-534-9168) Charming little town with great antique shops and cafes and galleries!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 29, 2008

We can't say enough good things about this place. We have family in the area and visit often. We always hope there is room here and the price is very reasonable for all that you get.

Do not hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 19, 2008

My husband and I rented Bear Creek Cabin #6 and shared it with another couple. Although we have been to New Mexico a number of times, we had never been this far south before. We had no idea what to expect.

The cabins are in a wooded setting. My husband noticed right away that the trees are well taken care of, as many of them had drip lines for watering, and the cabins are set into the woods with a minimum of disturbance to the forest feel. I think this is what I enjoyed most during our stay: the feeling that we were living in a tree house!

Every morning I awakened to bird song. My friend and I would take our coffee to the upper deck, just off our bedrooms. We'd sit and watch the wildlife come right up to us. The first morning a Magnificent hummingbird landed on a branch two feet away from us. He chirruped and scolded us for ten minutes before a sudden movement scared him away. Later two female hummingbirds hung in mid-air no more than a foot from my face. They appeared to be checking me out! Perhaps they wondered about my blue floral robe.

For a good hour the birds landed in the tree just off our deck. Many appeared to be posing for us--Black-headed grosbeaks, Cordilleran flycatchers, Band-tailed pigeons, White-winged doves, Mexican jays, Pine siskins, White-breasted and Pygmy nuthatches, Acorn woodpeckers, and a Phainopepla! At night we heard at least three different kinds of owls from the deck of our cabin.

On the second morning we heard rustling and looked down to see five deer picking their way past the cabins. One young doe stayed behind and watched us for a long time. In time she began her delicate nibbling on the low shrubs once more.

We could have enjoyed relaxing on our decks (upper and lower) all day, but we wanted to see the Gila cliff dwellings (awesome!), the Catwalk (90 degrees in the shade but worth it), the old mining town of Mogollon, and several other great birding spots in the Gila wilderness. The Bear Creek cabins are close to all.

Two spots bear more of a mention: The Gila cliff dwellings are very accessible to even the most fearful of climbers (me!). I love Bandelier National Monument in Northern New Mexico, but I was unable to climb the ladders to the kiva and some of the rooms. The path exploring the Gila dwellings is much easier. Another plus--volunteers and park rangers were stationed strategically to answer questions.

The second spot not to miss is the Breathe Inn, which is on the way to the cliff dwellings. We stopped for a late breakfast, and wow! The food was delicious and plentiful. The front of this little restaurant is all windows adorned with multiple hummingbird feeders, which had three or four hummingbirds on them all the time we were there. We saw Broad-tailed and Broad-billed hummingbirds, as well as a Blue-throated one.

The cabin itself was fine for two couples. Two king-bedded rooms were upstairs, while the small bathroom and kitchen/living room were downstairs. We had a little trouble with the plumbing, and we did need to schedule showers to make sure everyone had hot water, but what do you expect in a cabin setting?!

If you enjoy staying in a peaceful, rustic setting close to a number of natural wonders, the Bear Creek Cabins are for you. We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends