“Picuris Pueblo can be quite enchanting!”
Review of Picuris Pueblo

Picuris Pueblo
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Penasco
Reviewed August 21, 2009

I find it hard to rate Picuis Pueblo, but I would like to say that Picuris can be quite enchanting. The August 10th Feast Day is a smaller and more intimate experience as compared to the larger Feast Days at many of the other Pueblos. The Christmas Eve bonfires are, likewise, smaller in scale than those at Taos Pueblo. This can be wonderful if you are looking for a less crowded ceremonial event! My husband is confined to a wheelchair, and while none of the New Mexican Pueblos are very easy to visit, we do enjoy watching the bonfires at Picuris, which are defintely more accessable for us than the big event at Taos. Picuris also runs the Hotel Santa Fe, in Santa Fe, which is a great place to grab a bison burger and enjoy flute music in the lounge on Friday and Saturday nights, although it's a bit pricey to stay and eat at the full-service restaurant for me. The on site restaurant and museum have not been open in a while, but when they were, my husband and I used to go frequently. I've never felt threatened at the Pueblo at all and find it sad that someone else did. Picuris can be quite enchanting, in it's own Hidden Valley, quiet sort of way.

4  Thank lucyfromnm

Reviewed December 31, 2008

We drove into the Pueblo hoping to see an historical site and what we got was a testament to the abject poverty these people live in, everything in a state of disrepair. The only interesting thing was the little church and a herd of buffalo. Be aware--you must pay a fee to even drive through this dump so be sure and stop at the 'museum' and do so. We made the mistake of not stopping and were chased down and harassed by a large, scary fellow in a big truck. We stopped to take a picture of the herd of buffalo and he pulled up next to us to advise us to stop taking pictures, chided us for not seeing the worn out unreadable signs, and threatened to take our camera. Believe me, he could have taken all of us. He wasn't even an authority, just a resident of the pueblo. Unfortunately, my 6 year old son was frightened by this man. Just be careful if you do decide to waste 5 minutes to look at this hole on the side of the road. Much better things to do on the High Road such as the amazing church at Chimayo, the Taos Pueblo, and the scenery in general. Don't waste your time.

14  Thank OKcharlie