“Goods Eat on the High Road to Taos”

Sugar Nymphs Bistro
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Penasco
Cuisines: French, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2012

If you are touring on the High Road between Santa Fe and Taos. This is the best place for lunch. Penasco is so tiny, may not be shown on some maps, but this place is worth the stop. Hopefully, the nice mural on the building catches your eye before flying by. The food is fresh, tasty and the dessert is a must.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

It has old, electic furniture and funky decor in an old theater in an old town, but the food combinations are new and creative. The sandwiches, both hot and cold, the salads, and the daily specials are really good! Professional chef. I had baked chicken with basmati rice and a mango sauce. Really different but tasty. The baked goods are fresh and and obscenely delicious. Chef also bakes and caters for special events. It's worth the stop on the High Road to Taos just to sample the food and the atmosphere.

1  Thank kcw66
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My friend and I stopped for lunch here while we were driving on the High Road from Santa Fe to Taos. I was immediately taken with the funky look of the restaurant and the friendliness of the staff. The decor is kind of Southwest-meets-funky-bohemia, but the food was something else, entirely!

I was a little fed up with New Mexican cuisine, so I ordered what turned out to be one of the best BLT's I've had: crisp bacon, lettuce and juicy tomatoes served on a focaccia roll.

Sugar Nymphs is known for their baked goods, but nothing prepared me for the massive wedge of triple chocolate cake that arrived at my place! Three layers, each delicious, and decadent chocolate frosting. I'm a devout chocoholic, and I couldn't finish it!

If you find yourself on the High Road, in Penasco with nothing to eat, I'd HIGHLY recommend Sugar Nymphs!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

You can't buy 'em. So how do you get one of these alledgely fabulous scones? Just order anything and they will bring you one. I have had scones all over the World and while they are usually good, they are NOTHING like the ones they make here. I honestly can't remember having anything that tasted like this or was so yummy that was called a scone.

OK. Sugar Nymphs is in the middle of nowhere. The decor is world class funky. The patrons are a very interesting mix of artists, ranchers, tourists and a few dogs. Truly unique! The food is just fabulous. Local ingredients, talented chef and an attentive waitstaff all combine to make this spot well worth the drive, whether you are going to or coming from Taos or Santa Fe.

I had the awesome scone to start, followed by their green chile, bacon cheese burger and salad. Delicious!! True, there are lots of places that serve great burgers but 50 miles from Taos/Santa Fe, it was so good it was surprising. However, my wife won the meal's Best Choice Award. She had a meatloaf sandwich (with a salad) that was jaw droppingly delcious! The meatloaf was moist, unbelievably tasty and served on the fabulous bread they make in house. I begged her for a couple of bites and soon realized she Out Ordered me big time!

Sugar Nymph was such a terrific spot, I am SO glad we decided to swing by and see what it was all about. You don't have to be in a big city or a culinary destination to produce great food and Sugar Nymphs is living testamenat to this fact. I will go back next time I am anywhere near Taos!! You should too!

Date of visit: July 2012
2  Thank kkhinnm
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stopped with friends as we toured northern New Mexico, and although we had only coffee, blueberry lemonade (great!), and desserts--they were out of the meatloaf my husband initially wanted--we'd go back. The place is delightfully funky; the service is friendly, and the orders delivered to people around us looked terrific. The coffee was excellent, by the way, as was the pecan maple pie my husband decided to order when he couldn't get meatloaf. (Yes, I know--torn between a mid-afternoon "snack" of meatloaf and dessert....) Another charming aspect of this place is that from 2:30 pm on Sundays, the restaurant serves "Sunday supper," with brunch until then. I hope we have the opportunity to go back.

Date of visit: July 2012

Been to Sugar Nymphs Bistro? Share your experiences!