“San Agustin Pass--you can't miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of San Agustin Pass

San Agustin Pass
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Organ
El Paso, Texas
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 272 helpful votes
“San Agustin Pass--you can't miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2009

I was on day two of my Vuelte de Nuevo Mejico Sur en bicicleta, and had been pedaling uphill, East on US 70, all morning from downtown Las Cruces. I had stopped for a much needed lunch at Thai Delight, 1 mile/1.6 km/45 minutes earlier and was now full of energy. I considered stopping at Aguirre Spring BLM campsite [http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/las_cruces/aguirre_spring_campground.html], a half-mile/1 km further East, but then that was still 5 miles/8km South on a narrow, winding paved road. It was a great site for overnighting & hiking when I was Assistant Troopmaster in my son's scout troop, but whatever fond memories I might have of it was not enough to make me detour that far off my intended route. I was ecstatic about being able to get this far with as few breakdowns as I'd had, and wanted to keep on pedaling in this beautifully clear, warm, no-headwind weather! White Sands Military Range is a bit further East, but I lack the necessary ID and the need to go there. (A few months ago, I motored to the South gate on War Road Northern extension of NM213/TX FM 3255/MLK jr, in hopes of finding an alternate bicycling route, but my hopes were dashed as signs specifically prohibited bicycles on what became a devastatingly narrow, potholed road.) Just as well to not go there anyway--I needed to continue pedaling.

Been to San Agustin Pass? Share your experiences!