“Nice Way to End a Day”

Artesian Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Just north of Santa Fe is Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs' secluded sanctuary. Deemed sacred by Native Americans of Northern New Mexico, our legendary waters have been soothing body, mind, and spirit naturally for centuries. The Artesian Restaurant provides a casual dining experience and charming atmosphere. Ojo is the only hot springs in the world with 4 unique, sulfur-free mineral waters. The resort is historic, yet modern and fresh with eclectic charm in a relaxed and tranquil environment. The full-service spa offers a wide array of restorative treatments including nurturing massage and hydrating face and body treatments. Don't miss a soak in a private outdoor pool by fire at night or in the seasonal, detoxifying mud pool. We offer an unpretentious and uncomplicated atmosphere with a variety of lodging accommodations, including enchanting suites, charming cottages, the historic hotel and private homes. All lodging includes access to all mineral pools every day of your visit.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

After a couple of hours in the Ojo Caliente pools, dining at the Artesian was the perfect way to end our day. The food and service were excellent. My dining companions had the grilled trout and the chicken fajitas; I had the combo (beef and chicken) fajitas. All were delicious. We also had a nice bottle of pinot noir wine.

The next morning (we spent the night in the hotel) we had breakfast. My companions had the blueberry muffin and the breakfast parfait. I had the house made granola with fruit. They were all quite tasty.

We'll be back on out next visit to Ojo Caliente!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My friend and I both tried the enchilada. It is a good value, but not the best enchilada ever. Very good. The green chile is good, if you like your green chile. The sweet potato fries are excellent.

Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Artesian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your review of your lunch in The Artesian Restaurant. We are also fond of our sweet potato fries and we're happy to hear you are too! We apologize you do not feel our enchilada was one of the best you've ever tasted. We'd like to hear from you about what you think we can do better. We go to great lengths to prepare in-home authentic New Mexican cuisine, using fresh farm-to-table products as much as possible. When we fall short, every effort is made to rectify the situation. Thus, it is very important our guests share their expereinces with us while they are still her at Ojo so we can have an opportunity to make things right. In this case, we would have been happy to offer you a different entree that may have been more to your liking.

We thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit. We look forward to serving you again soon.

If you would like to contact me to make recommendations about how to improve our enchilada, please call me at my direct line 505.583.3221.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

OK, so I ordered the burger, well done. Sorry, beef snobs, that is the way I like it, always have. It came pink. I took a bite, sent it back, explaining...It came back again, with pink in the middle. I told the waiter "I refuse to be in a P-ing match with the chef over how she thinks burgers "should" be cooked. I lost my appetite, It ruined my day there. I gave the whole thing back. They still charged me for it.

Just get out of your own narcissistic viewpoint of how YOU think YOU would like something cooked, and please just prepare it the way the customer requests. The waiter was great, I would NEVER order anything from this chef that requires some kind of response to your preferences. She just does cooks what SHE would want. I cannot tell you how upsetting that was, and now I don't want anything to do with the place. Period.

1  Thank Docwahoo
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Artesian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our restaurant here at Ojo. We sincerely apologize that you did not have a positive dining experience and agree that it was not acceptable. Your comments were immediately shared with our Chef, dining staff and management. We value your feedback, and your observations regarding the preparation of your meal.

We make every effort to accommodate a guest request on preparation of their food – we would never impose our preference of how a dish should be prepared to any of our guests. As a point of reference, our chef prefers her ground beef well done too.

After speaking with the restaurant staff, it appears there was a simple misunderstanding with the grill cook. The misunderstanding has been addressed, communicated and know that we have remedied this situation for future meal requests.

Your review is greatly appreciated, and we hope we have another opportunity to show you the quality dining experience we are accustomed to providing.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I don't understand where all the good reviews come from. I had lunch and breakfast at Artesian and found both below average. Soggy huevos rancheros that like one can find at a common roadside diner; chicken tacos with no aspiration, nothing to write home about or remember. The Artesian salad was perhaps the only dish I enjoyed: is the salad worth the trip? I don't think so. It's disappointing that this restaurant that caters for the co-located resort aims so low. Not what one should expect after a long trip to Ojo Caliente. On top of this, they charge a pretty penny... Not good enough, I'm afraid.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for feedback regarding your recent visit to The Artesian Restaurant here at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. Regretfully, it would appear that we fell short of providing you with the best possible dining experience that we are accustomed to, and that many of our reviewers have posted about. Your comments were immediately shared with our Chef and Food & Beverage Manager.

As a point of reference, our menus in The Artesian Restaurant and Wine Bar are special and most of our dishes are house-made recipes created from scratch. We believe this allows us to offer a more unique dining experience – from frying our own tortilla chips, to rolling our own red chile pizza crust, making our own soups and sauces, and desserts and ice cream.

We also source the finest quality ingredients from the best vendors at the most competitive pricing. For example, our seafood is flown in fresh from Seattle Seafood Company and shuttled straight from the airport. Our shrimp are Mexican white shrimp. We use 100% pure maple syrup. Our lamb is sustainably produced from a local farm. We use Harris Ranch beef in our burgers. Our orange juice and lemonade are ultra premium and not from concentrate. Our Arabica coffee is fair trade & organic.

Additionally, we have begun the early phases of our farm-to-table program. We have small gardens on property that are currently supplying greens to the restaurant including mustard, lettuce, spinach, arugula and orach. This is a small achievement given our high dessert location and current drought.

Local and organic products are used whenever possible, especially during the brief but glorious summer season. All our eggs are organic, as are the mixed salad greens. In short, we use the best quality ingredients available at the most reasonable price we can find, and then combine them in unique and exciting ways to present meals that surprise and delight our guests. We believe this extra effort and cost is worth it, because our guests deserve the best quality we can offer.

Please accept our sincerest apologies and know that your feedback has been heard and will be used constructively. We hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the future and that you can enjoy the quality food our Artesian Restaurant is known for.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We traveled to Northern NM last year in the off season. We made reservations to Ojo Caliente to try out the hot baths and good food and we hit the jackpot! The private areas and pools with the fire places were unreal. Then we ate and had the best waitress ever. She was bubbly and bragged on the chef and I told her I wanted to try the tortilla soup that It was my life mission to find the ultimate bowl. She explained that the chefs soup was the best she had ever tasted so I ordered it along with my meal. The soup was so good that I had to have another bowl as well as meet the chef and get one of his books with the reciepe for the soup in it! This place not only had the best soup I have ever tasted but the employees were the best I have ever experienced in my life and I have been involved in the service business all my life. I hope that place dosent change..See ya next year.

1  Thank Reggaetex