“Gorgeous day spa experience”

Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Just north of Santa Fe is Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs’ secluded sanctuary. Deemed sacred by Native Americans of Northern New Mexico, our legendary waters have been soothing body, mind and spirit naturally for centuries. Ojo is the only hot springs in the world with 4 unique, sulfer-free mineral waters. The resort is historic, yet modern and fresh with eclectic charm in a relaxed and tranquil environment. The full-service spa offers a wide array of restorative treatments including nurturing massage and hydrating face and body treatments. Don’t miss a soak in a private outdoor pool by fire at night or in the seasonal, detoxifying mud pool. We offer an unpretentious and uncomplicated atmosphere with a variety of lodging accommodations including enchanting suites, charming cottages, the historic hotel and private homes. All lodging includes access to all mineral pools every day of your visit. The Artesian Restaurant provides a casual dining experience and charming atmosphere. Our chef blends local flavors with global cuisine. Creative dishes include Green Chile Crusted Salmon, homemade pasta, and Ribeye. Lighter fare is available in the Wine Bar & Lounge. Yoga classes are offered 7 days a week. Ojo is nestled in a valley on 1,100 acres and is adjacent to thousands of acres of hiking and mountain biking trails. We suggest that you make reservations for spa treatments, private outdoor pools and dinner before you arrive.
Melbourne
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Gorgeous day spa experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My hubby and I visited Ojo Caliente as a day trip while staying in Taos. It was one of the highlights of our month long trip to the US. The pools, especially the mud pool and the one with the gravel bottom, were just so relaxing, especially given the beautiful natural surrounds. I had a 2 hour face, hand and foot treatment which was divine. Lunch in the restaurant was fine, fresh, tasty and reasonably priced. The changing rooms, showers etc were clean and well maintained. The pool areas had plenty of comfy seating. Overall, a fab spa experience in a very appealing environment, although perhaps a tad expensive.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Poor Choice”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a relaxing Memorial Day getaway and decided to go to the Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. It was just a day trip to the spa, not including a stay in the hotel. The fee for a soak for the 2 hours that we were there was $60! I feel that this was high but we had driven up there and didn't want cost to get in the way.
We tried the waters and the one that suited us the best for temperature was the Cliffside Pool. This pool is situated against the beautiful cliff wall, unfortunately the surface of the pool was covered with hair and sloughed off dead skin. I tried to relax and ignore the lack of sanitary conditions but eventually asked my wife if we could find another pool. We went to the Iron Pool, one of the oldest original pools with a gravelly bottom and some natural mineral deposits that have accumulated over the years. This was cleaner and more enjoyable. A nice gay couple entered the pool and I paid little attention until they kidded around and got out of the pool. I noticed one of them was bleeding, the blood was running down his leg. I don't know if he had injured himself in the pool or the water had opened an old wound. I started thinking about the fact that there is no chlorine to sanitize the water and the temperature is not high enough to kill bacteria and viruses.
I decided to leave the pool thinking that hepatitis or other infections could probably proliferate in these "natural" waters. I wondered about the practice of bathing with strangers, many who come to heal from diseases. I asked at the front desk about the cleanliness of the pools and they said the waters are filtered, from the look of the cliffside pool I wondered if it was enough. When I asked about seeing a person leaving the pool bleeding they answered I should tell them, I don't know what they would do, but I felt ill at ease about the entire time my wife and I spent at the spa.
I have visited Ojo Caliente numerous times in the past, and I am not sure if I would visit again,

3 Thank gunsandyoga
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

We were sorry to hear about your disappointing recent visit to Ojo and appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Additionally, we appreciate your feedback and we assure you that it will be applied constructively in our ongoing effort to maximize the integrity of the Ojo experience and guest satisfaction.

The safety and enjoyment of our guests while honoring and preserving the integrity of our waters and the Ojo experience is our highest priority. Please be assured we take our water quality very seriously. The entire volume of each pool, with the exception of the large pool which is chlorinated and filtered, is constantly being replaced with new source water or with recirculated water that has been filtered, subjected to UV light (for sterilization) and has ozone introduced as a natural and highly effective antimicrobial to protect against the types of pathogens you raised concern about and more. In addition, the pools are cleaned every 48 hours on a rotating schedule and this cleaning process includes draining, scrubbing and pressure washing before being refilled with fresh water. This intensive regimen allows us to maintain water quality standards without compromising the natural integrity of our waters by adding disinfecting chemicals like chlorine.

In response to the concern that you raise about the oils that can have a tendency tend to accumulate on the water’s surface (especially during peak use times and on sunny days when folks are using sunscreen) , we are actively developing a means of enhancing/maximizing our ability to skim the surface of our pools.

We are both grateful for and at times challenged by the popularity that Ojo has garnered in recent years. During this past Memorial Day weekend, we experienced higher than average guest numbers which presented a few unusual operational challenges for us. In response to the increase in visitation, we will be restructuring our scheduling so that additional staff are available during these busy times and we also have multiple improvement projects underway to enhance our ability to better accommodate those busier times going forward. We have made a conscious effort over the years to maintain our rates so that Ojo remains accessible to a broad range of guests and does not become exclusive; while also doing our best to prevent overcrowding during peak times. We feel that our pricing reflects this and that our guests receive a good value for their dollar.

We worked closely with the New Mexico Environment Department in 2008 on the development of more stringent regulations for all hot springs in the state. Our water quality is consistently higher than the standards mandated by the state, and we also maintain a rigorous and regular microbiological water testing protocol to monitor our waters and ensure adherence to these standards.

We encourage everyone, including staff members and guests, to advise one of our employees immediately if a guest with open wounds or bleeding is observed in or near the pools. Please be assured that our staff are trained to handle incidents like this immediately and with tact and professionalism, and to care for any accidents which occur on our property.

I hope this information is helpful to you and will reassure you about the importance we place on the quality of these natural mineral waters. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (505) 583-3221.

California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Posi-Ouinge and lunch”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I know it seems crazy but we didn't actually use the mineral springs but hiked to Posi-Ouinge and then had lunch at the bistro. I did walk around the spa area and it offered a sea of tranquility so on another visit when it is less windy I will use the springs but the hike is what this is about. The hike to to pueblo starts out a bit difficult but quickly becomes a very easy path. It is an easy marked trailed to a wooden fence to keep out cows I suspect, anyway there is a circular trail and most amazing amount of pottery shards. I've hiked many areas and never seen anything like this where I could pick them up and turn them in my hands and think about the past. It was incredible as well as a very green long tailed lizard which I've never seen one like that before either. Then back down to lunch at the bistro/wine bar at the spa. It took a long time but we had huge wonderful hamburgers with green chili and cheese (we could have split one) and a lovely salad and prickly pear lemonade.

Visited May 2013
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to Ojo. We are so pleased you were able to enjoy the beauty of this sacred and historic area.

We apologize that you experienced an extended wait time for your meal in our restaurant. Please be assured that we make every effort to provide prompt and hospitable service in all areas of the Springs. We are somewhat challenged, however, during busy holiday weekends, such as Mother's Day. We have plans in place for enhancements which include a kitchen expansion, which will enable us to better accommodate our guests and small groups in The Artesian Restaurant & Wine Bar, especially during busy holidays and weekends.

We hope you will visit us again soon when you are able to experience our incredible mineral waters and therapies, which will add greatly to your enjoyment of Ojo.

Windsor, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Relaxing and quiet”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stopped at this hot springs on the way to Santa Fe. The weekend rate is $30 per person which is a little higher than I normally pay for hot springs but this is a well kept property with lovely shaded lounge chairs to relax and even has hammocks strung between the lounge chair areas which is a very nice touch. A sign is posted that says "whisper zone" and an employee walked by several times carrying another sign to emphasize this. It is hard to keep it to a whisper but the quiet adds to the peaceful soaking experience. We even tried the mud area where you slather on mud and then bake in the sun until it dries (detoxifying and great for your skin). There is no additional charge for the mud. The gift shop has some unique items indicative of the area as well as light snacks. A towel was included in admission. Private pools complete with your own kiva fireplace are available at an additional charge. This is an historic hot springs that is well run and a great place to escape and soak away your stresses. Would definitely recommend and return again.

Visited April 2013
Dear Guest,

It was very nice to hear from you that you enjoyed your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We greatly appreciate your kind words and recommendation.

We feel we provide a tremendous value to our guests and make a conscious effort to maintain our rates so that Ojo is accessible to a broad group of people and does not become exclusive. The Springs are open from 8 am - 10 pm every day of the year. Entry fees include access to all mineral pools, our popular mud pool and public steam and sauna rooms. Our midweek rates are $18 per person and are reduced at sunset to $14pp at 6pm during the week. Entry on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays is $28pp and reduced to $24 at 6pm. Also based on our competitive analysis, we feel our pricing is comparable if not even more affordable than other hot springs resorts both in New Mexico and across the country. It should also be noted that access to all mineral pools is a value-added amenity for all of our lodging guests, which includes access to the new Kiva Pool for guests staying in our suites.

In response to our guest feedback, we have recently created two separate whisper environments within the Springs. Our intention is that the Iron, Soda, Cliffside Pools, Private Outdoor Pools, and the Kiva Pool for lodging guests will be maintained as a tranquil Whisper Zone to provide the quiet and peaceful experience that Ojo is known for. The area including the Large pool, the Arsenic Pool and a new Mud Area will be designated as a more relaxed, social area, enabling our guests to enjoy each others' company while still maintaining the calm that draws our visitors to these sacred waters. We are working to fine-tune this new policy so that all of our guests will have an enjoyable experience in the Springs. In order to make this change as smoothly as possible, we will also be posting new signage to inform our guests of our policy.

We thank you very much for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Ken Caryl, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Arsenic and iron for weary bones...”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

You don't have to be a guest at Ojo Caliente, a spa resort within easy driving distance of both Santa Fe and Taos, to enjoy the mineral hot springs -- you can simply grab your swimsuit, drive up and buy a day pass. The front desk will provide one towel, so if you need more, just bring your own. The (communal) changing/locker rooms are clean, with showers, hairdryer, benches and lockers (bring your own lock if you don't want to pay for one). The resort has various public and private pools, and also offers a host of spa services. Ojo Caliente features four different types of mineral water including lithia, iron, soda and arsenic. Apparently, very beneficial for tired skin and weary bones. The pools vary in temperature, so there's always a pool at just the right temperature. It can get a bit crowded, so either go early in the day, or in an off-season. And if you go on a sunny day, don't forget to bring sunscreen to avoid sunburn.

Visited April 2013