All reviews hot springs ojo caliente spa friday and saturday evenings small fridge coyote cabin nice sitting area great music pam motel patio taos key baths
Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

We stayed two nights in the coyote cabin and found it to be cozy and rustic. Not great, but okay for a few nights while visiting the hot springs. Comfortable large bed, coffee maker and DVD player. Overall, the room was clean but dusty with a few spiders. The porch is great for sitting and enjoying morning coffee or a glass of wine in the evenings.

For the other reviewers complaining about the price, yes, you could get a nicer room at a budget motel for cheaper but you're paying a premium for the location here. It's one of only two lodging places minutes from Ojo Caliente Spa and cheaper than staying on property at the hot springs. So not a bad price for the convenient location.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DesertSkies2016
Reviewed September 10, 2017

Stayed here one night to utilize Ojo Caliente resort without paying resort prices, similar to other reviewers. On the plus side yes its cheaper, $85 vs about $170 weekdays $220 weekends for the resort, and yes you can walk to the resort. Take care in walking back after dark, since the property is located right on US 285, a busy road. Rooms did have small refrigerator and a/c which is nice. There is no "front desk" like a typical hotel, there is nobody onsite continuously, the manager simply left the key in the unlocked room and provided directions to find it. The property was poorly maintained as evidenced by several burned out lights in the room and malfunctioning exterior light (bulb was hanging from the wire) and there were discarded objects including a sink (thats correct) outside of my room). Also there is NO cell service or Internet (at least for T-Mobile) which posed a challenge since I had difficulty finding the room (Taos) and thus I had to go to an adjacent cafe to call the manager for clarification of directions to find the room and ask him to fix the lights. Also the place was practically deserted, didn't seem as though there were any other guests on a Thursday night, That spooked me a bit since there was no way to contact anyone in event of an emergency or otherwise need help. The manager did at least come by promptly to replace the light bulbs.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank ABQtravel
Reviewed July 17, 2017 via mobile

My mother and I stayed here (in the Coyote room) for a night while visiting Ojo Caliente.

Pros: CLEAN, very comfortable bed, quaint room with New Mexico-style decor, close to hot springs (about a 15 minute walk), refrigerator and coffee in room

Cons: water smells of sulfur - best to bring your own, dim lighting

We opted to stay here because it was much cheaper than the hot springs resort down the road. It is a roadside motel, so don't be expecting luxury. It was totally adequate for our one night stay and I would recommend staying here if you don't want to pay the resort prices.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Ally W
Reviewed May 30, 2017

My mother and I stayed at the Taos Trail Inn for two nights so that we could visit Ojo Caliente across the street. Here is why I recommend that you not ever stay here.
Pros:
1. A roof overhead.
2. A comfortable bed (but with stained sheets).
3. Ideal location for the mineral springs.
Cons:
1. Very dark rooms (dark brown walls, ceilings, decor) with weak light, such that we could not read books without flashlights. I gave up, went to bed and got up early to read by sunlight.
2, Quirky plumbing. Tiny sink in the kitchen, about the size of a salad plate, drains very slowly. Spooky shower.
3. Lack of outlets meant I had to unplug a coffee maker and a small lamp that had a burned-out bulb to plug in my mother's medical equipment.
4. Lack of dishes. No mugs or coffee cups and no knives. We brought food for breakfast. We were uncertain if the dorm frig worked, so we used a cooler we brought.
5. "Rustic decor" means shoddy construction and outdoor "decorations" of chunks of concrete, tree stumps, old windows and other junk. Pictures on website are misleading.
6. Management was nowhere to be found the morning we checked out. Office was locked, with no sign explaining absence.
7. Listed prices on restaurant included a $15 salad. This in a village of four businesses.

Room Tip: Does not exist here.
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank lovesbooks57
Reviewed March 7, 2017

Jan. 26th, 2017 we stayed at the Taos Trail Inn after enjoying the Ojo Caliente Mineral baths. We stayed there because it was the only place nearby that would take our dog. It was 14 degrees out and all we had was a space heater in our room that twice during the night turned off. It overheated and then the breaker on the heater would trip and we would have to get up and unplug the heater and plug it back into get it to work again. Needless to say it was a rough night for us! We couldn't wait to get up in the morning and leave. A space heater isn't adequate at all when it's 14 degrees out and shouldn't be the only form of heat when you spend almost $100 for a room/night.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple