“They hit the sweet spot”
Review of Taos Trail Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Taos Trail Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Dallas
“They hit the sweet spot”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This little lodge was the highlight of my road trip. The owners were the perfect hosts. Placing me in one of the newly renovated rooms. By the time I checked in, I was beat, but was warmly welcomed, I put my stuff down and almost didn't want to get back up again because the bed was divine. But I went down the the cafe and they whipped up a meal fit for a king. The steak was delectable. Their hospitality and attention to detail took the cake. I will surely return every time I make my annual trek.

Room Tip: Ask about the renovations!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in the Albuquerque room which had 2 double beds. The current owners appear to be slowly renovating a once run-down facility. To be fair, we are listing both pros and cons.

PROs
1. Location is excellent just outside the entry to Ojo Caliente Spa.
2. Beds were new and comfortable with very clean linens.
3. Bathroom was roomy with a mini-frig, coffee maker, and a more than adequate supply of towels.
4. Owners were very welcoming and anxious to make guests feel at home.
5. Owner provides a good selection of DVD's free of charge. (TV only plays DVD's - no cable)
6. Motel is pet friendly.
7. There is a nice court yard with a fire pit and wood.

CONS
1. We were unable to get any hot water from the shower after running it for 5 minutes.
2. The shower is a pipe coming from the wall and emits a single jet of cold water.
3. The decor is a mix of grandma's attic and garage sale which is, overall, a bit disturbing.
4. The room was heated with a space heater.
5. The rear of the property is littered with broken furniture, old tools, and other junk.
6. The price of the room seemed high for the lack of amennities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dhdo1
DENVER
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed here on 9/5/12. Upon arrival, no one was there. Two hours later, someone arrived. The room was scary. Windows broken, an open hole in the back of the cabin, the keys to every room hanging on another cabin door where laundry was stacked to the ceiling. Big and little bugs abounded. It smelled bad. My travel companions were so freaked they ditched me and stayed at Ojo, but my dog prevented me from leaving too. I made it until 1:30, and then, terrified, I called my friends and demanded they come get me. Worst night I've ever had in a hotel. It's right on the highway, and trucks zoom by, or worse, stop for some unknown reason. I sat with my shoes on, and the flashlight in my hand until I couldn't take it any more. The owners are dangerously lax and this place should be shut down.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank JULIE O
Dana K, Public Relations Manager at Taos Trail Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Sorry for your bad experience but at the time you stayed their the new management had just taken over and were in the process of remodeling all the rooms, they needed it badly.
They had been updated for 30 years and you must have gotten one of the old rooms.
The new rooms have had extensive remodel, all the walls, bathrooms, beds and furniture have been replaced with new every thing and no one should have that experience again.
Thank you for your feed back. Public Relations Manager
Linden, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The pace is so much slower. Solitude. And, the newe owners have done a marvelous job in decorating and upgrading. The difference between what was then and what is now is as a pig is to a prairie dog. They are two totally different animals. The new owners have done an excellent job. I see the Taos Trail and Lomita Lodge as what Durango, Co. was about 50 years ago. There was a great restaurant up there by the name of Sweeney's which years ago had the best steaks in the Western USA. Well, now Taos Trail Inn can lay claim to that honor.

Room Tip: Actually they are all very good. Just pick the one that hits your fancy from their website and go f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
corona del mar
Reviewed April 20, 2012

loved the host
loved the comfy beds
loved the firepit areas located around the property
WISH the steakhouse had been open but guess I'll have to schedule an encore trip
the thing that made this the most special was all of the funky art and quirky corners filled with treasures.
i actually had an entire itinerary planned out but the gracious inn keeper gave me so many good local adventure tips: earthship compound (off the grid eco houses), hiking the gorge, hiking ghost box ranch...that I ended up spending less time at the spa across the street (Ojo Spa)...and that was a good thing because the spa is okay but NM is gorgeous and I am glad that I spent less time in spa mud and more time hiking in red dirt.
My room was so interesting. the footboard was actually attached to the ceiling above the bed and I think that this helps to illustrate what a different sort of inn this is. There is a visual treat at every turn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank immelinda
Denver
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Our cabin had nice decor and linens, but they couldn't overcome the poor quality of workmanship in the cabin. Plunger was provided for kitchenette sink that always needed encouragement to drain. Porch light had an electrical glitch and there was exposed copper wire to a heater. Scary. Shower had no light and no place to put your soap/shampoo/washcloth, etc. The bath sink fixture (spout/handle combined) was wobbly and ready to fall off. Beautifuil glass sink needed some CLR to remove its hard water stains. Windows were cracked, filthy, badly painted, and wouldn't lock. Deadbolt on front door wouldn't lock. Brad nails were sticking up on kitchen floor transition. Going barefoot was a high-risk behavior. While there was a TV in the room, there was no cable or satellite--you could only watch movies. Rooms at the spa might be more expensive, but it would have been money better spent. Motel sits 30 ft. away from a 2-lane highway. Lack of exterior lighting made it difficult to see on approach at night. Also, the exterior needs considerable TLC. It has been pretty much ignored. This place needs a lot more work to bring it up to a standard acceptable to most travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hiker022
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We love Ojo Caliente spa and Artesian restaurant, but over the Christmas holidays lodging there starts at $140 per night.

Taos Trail Inn offered beautiful rooms (we stayed in Chama) for $85. In addition to the amenities (hot chocolate, refrigerator, fine furnishing, DVDs in the room) we could park close to the room, the staff was friendly, walkway lights turn on at night, and it's charming.

Taos Trail Inn is now our first choice for lodging when we visit Ojo. Check out my uploaded pictures.

Room Tip: Check up my uploaded pictures of the Chama room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Taos Trail Inn? Share your experiences!