“stay away from the cottages”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Baltimore
“stay away from the cottages”
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Decided to book one of the "cute" little cottages as the rooms in the main building didn't have private showers. Big mistake. the cute little cottage turned out to be dirty, with torn window screens and plenty of mosquitos both inside and out.

• Stayed July 2003
5 Thank JakeBaltimore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Ohio
Reviewed June 1, 2007

I had one of the best times I have ever had in my life here. A note for those who complain about lack of amenities and 'things floating in the pools".....this place is about the NATURAL mineral waters, not about fancy digs or bleached out chlorine like settings. I hope this place never becomes like that either. These are natural waters, they are not meant to be chemical-ized or over cleaned, they are already clean. Some waters are hot, some are cool, some are cold....you can sit in the shade or the sun, anyone who complains about this should probably go to a city spa where they spray city water on you.
That said, I hope I can go back someday, it was absolutely wonderful. After spending only 2 days in the waters, I felt better than I have in years. My skin looked beautiful and I felt just so good, I can't explain it. I spent a lot of time in the waters and a few hours one day hiking the Posi area. The Posi area was magical as were the spa grounds. Flowers everywhere, hummingbirds, wonderful waters, zen sculptures, antiques and historic New Mexican buildings.
I wish I could have spent all night in the waters-they truly are special. I felt like a million bucks after just one day in them, I especially liked the arsenic waters. It was great!
We stayed in the old original motel, the room was very simple but that didn't bother me because I wasn't there for the room, I was there for the waters. We sat around a fire in the evening, looking at the place lit up so pretty, a breeze was blowing, SO relaxing! The bed was extremely comfortable, Starbucks in the am was nice, and the food at the restaurant was good, a New Mexican and healthy type of cooking, I really liked it.
The only negative was my fault, I put my favorite lace top in a locker without a lock in the changing room. I saw a fellow woman guest watching me as I walked away to the pools. I made myself turn around after about 1 minute out of suspicion and what do you know, my shirt and the lady were both gone. Lock your stuff up in your room or a locked locker any place you go! Other than that, I had a flawless experience.
Ahhh! To be back there again- I hope soon, I need it! And I hope the waters are never messed up by those who need things more 'antiseptic'!

• Liked — The natural beauty and the mineral waters
  • Disliked — My lace shirt was stolen out of a locker room locker I didn't lock (my fault)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank scrufffles
American in Stuttgart
Reviewed December 28, 2006

I stayed here in the off-season and really enjoyed my experience. I had a room in the historic lodge for 3 nights and ate at the restaurant for breakfast 3 times and dinner 2 times. The atmosphere was very peaceful. I had brought my bathrobe and flip-flops as recommended on the reservation confirmation. Despite the cold temps it was invigorating to cross the courtyard to the spa area for a morning shower and then soak in the tubs. The spa is located in a beautiful semi-arid landscape with cliffs towering above the pools. The best atmosphere is at night when the cliffs are illuminated and the rest of the spa is lit in soft lights - very magical experience. And as long as the guests follow the rule of whispering it is very peaceful and spiritual.

The room in the lodge is small and has no shower or tub or tv but I did not find these to be an inconvenience as I was there for the pools and not there to watch tv. I enjoyed staying in the historic facility and don´t think they should change it at all. The spa area has a rustic feeling which harmonizes with the character of the rural setting but is clean and well organized.

I had no problems with the service although I made no extraordinary demands on them. The people I interacted with were always friendly, relaxed and unpretentious. I found the food at the restaurant to be very good.

After reading the reviews here before my trip, I thought I was taking a bit of a risk but my fears proved to be groundless.

I would definately consider returning here for another stay.

• Liked — Unique historic small intimate facility
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
7 Thank RitC
naples
Reviewed October 6, 2006

Stayed at Ojo Caliente in the summer of 06 with two women friends. I had been there over 10 years ago and the place was the very same but the prices had really changed. We rented a cabin because there were three of us. It was very dirty and way too exspensive. We all had a "spa day" of body wraps and massages. The staff does not speak English and is very unacommadating. The food in the cafe is great but very pricey. Overall it is still the laid back hot springs in the middle of NM, but now has 5 star spa pricing. I am so glad I experienced it long ago.

2 Thank bona
Sonoma County
Reviewed September 19, 2006

we didn't have time to stay, and from the reviews I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad. it looked pretty neat -- old buildings etc. staff was OK for day use -- we didn't really interact, although I remember having trouble figuring out where to go on their grounds! where to park, where to enter, where to pay -- these are usually straightforward tasks -- well, we made our way, eventually, and the baths were just wonderful. atmosphere was very relaxed, and so were we. one note -- the "lithia bath" is actually a spring -- and we drank from it and felt, well, better! so we filled up a bunch of empty water bottles (staff was gracious about that) and our spirits were lifted for the rest of our trip. didn't have a chance to eat here either -- but for a straight hot springs experience we strongly recommend it. wife's comment "we loved it."

Stayed July 2006
4 Thank Dustina
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2006

We stopped in for 2 nights to experience the Hot Springs and were not disappointed. The hot springs are what you go there for and are great. We took books and a short wave radio (for our room) and just chilled. The room in the main building was spartan but clean with just a commode and sink but you do get a daily private bath and Milagro wrap with your room rate! The showers are in the hot springs area and a short walk from the main building. Not a big deal! We found the food to be good and not exorbitantly priced, especially as you are somewhat 'captive' there in that it IS in the middle of nowhere!
All in all well worth the money.....one note though..they are doing some remodelling this year and there is a little "hubbub" at times. Although it did not spoil our stay....

• Liked — Rustic setting and mineral springs.
  • Disliked — A touch faded...
  • Tips/Secrets — Specials on the website. Get a NORTH room in the main building
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Phil C
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed August 19, 2006

At $142/night for a cottage with no shower, I found this to be overpriced. But the cottage was nice, it has a kitchenette (just no oven or stove), and they require you to use their bathhouse for showers, which doesn't open until 8am....nothing opens until 8am, including the registration desk.
The beds were comfy (maybe a little soft) with down comforters and lots of pillows. Our remote didn't work on the TV, but then they only have antenna, so there's only about 4 channels you can see. Everything is definitely geared towards the Hot Springs or the spa services. There's nothing else out there except the hiking, which is what I went for. The trails weren't marked very well, and information was very scarice around the entire place. I had to go to the desk to find out where the trails started. They gave me a badly copied, very basic map.
The hot springs were okay, but you have to shower first, and so any sunscreen you applied is gone, and all but 2 of the pools are in the sun. I can't really see sitting around in a pool for more than an hour, and after paying for the room I couldn't really afford the spa services. They were also very busy, and you had to wait for everything (and this was during the week). You even had to wait for just to take your morning shower. They are doing construction, which is noisy and ugly during the day.
The restaurant is a little too "new cuisine" for me. Though my husbands' $26 tenderloin was the best he's ever had. My $11 grilled chicken cesear salad was just average, kind of skimpy on the salad, croutons were unedible.
There's not much else around there to eat. We tried the Mesa Vista Cafe out on Hwy 285, and it was a sad place. The food was bland and not very good, and overpriced, the service people were just depressing.
They have camping, and that's what I'd recommend. The hikes were good, and the campgrounds looked nice, even though I only saw a couple of port-a-johns and you still have to trek to the bathhouse to get a shower, but I think it'd be a nice place to base yourself from if you wanted to tour around that part of NM. Just bring your own food!

5 Thank bhedge2
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!