1,417 results
All reviewsprivate poolwine barmud bathhistoric hotelarsenic poolnew mexicobath houseday passsanta fethe cottageskiva fireplaceartesian restaurantrelaxing experiencehiking trailssteam roomblue cornwhisper zone
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Don't even think about going there if you have children. It is a rip-off! You pay almost the same amount for kids as adults. You have to pay ridiculous $18 for kids (compare this with one-day child admission of $29.99 at Schlitterbahn with all the fun you can have). And what do you get with $18? Absolutely nothing! Just one big pool with no slides, no tube, nothing . And you are stuck there in the big pool with kids. You cannot even accompany your kids to other pools, which means you pay whopping $100 for you, your spouse and your kids for admission and you are also stuck with your kids in that boring unpleasant pool. Want to have some fun with your kids in the pool? Don't even think about it. It is a whisper area. Kids tend to be noisy, and there is no fence or wall that blocks noise. However, once they become loud, you will immediately have a very rude staff coming at your face to ask you to be quiet. If you should get caught with a kid in any of the adult pools, you become a target of their attention, and obnoxious staff will watch your every move where you go and if you get caught once more, you will be threatened to leave the facility. Repulsive! Offensive! very insulting!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank avante4313
Ojorandy, Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2010

Hello,
My name is Randy Lehr and I am the Operations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa.

Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa is a place of healing, meditation and peace. Our guest with children sign a release prior to entry that fully explain the rules as applicable to children, they are limited in access to one large pool. We are not and do not aspire to be a water park or necessarily a play pool for kids. All of our waters are mineral springs, and our clients come to us for rejuvenation.

Parents and guests with children are welcome, however for the peace and tranquility for all our guests, the whisper zone is enforced.

If anyone has any questions regarding this policy, I encourage you to give us a call. 505 583 3200

Randy Lehr
Operations Manager.

Reviewed June 5, 2010

The restaurant is fantastic - highly recommend. The facility is very relaxed and enjoyable.

However ...

The place could be more friendly and the staff more helpful. Five minutes into being in the first pool I went in with my wife I was accosted by a self appointed pool police person for talking too loud. This put an immediate damper on what was otherwise an enjoyable experience. As a first time visitor I had no idea people were so hyper about how loud you talked. If this is such a big deal then the front desk folks should clue people in. I also ran into problems with people laying claim to hammock space all day. A dude comes in at 8:30 in the morning and lays claim to the primo hammocks (and 2 lounge chairs) for the day. They then come and go throughout the day including a 2 hour lunch outing and no one is allowed to use their space. I raised this issue with the front desk and they said it was not allowed but they did nothing about it. One suggestion to the hammock issue would be to offer paid cabanas where folks really do "own" the space for the day. That's what a lot of resorts do to deal with this issue. It could be included in a package for folks staying at the hotel.

So, the bottom line is that the facility is fantastic, but the staff and especially some of the patrons are a pain and can make the experience unpleasant. I recommend visiting, but beware of the issues I raised. Once you know the lay of the land confrontations can be avoided. These problems can be more effectively dealt with by the staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We are sitting at the pool of this spa right now; it is beautiful, calm, quiet, and I am completely on edge....terrified that as my child and her friend play in the pool, one of them will yelp and or speak too loudly. This is a wonderful spot and most definately geared towards adults-the restaurant food is great, rooms are clean and very charming (we r staying in a casita cliff suite with an outdoor tub and a wonderful kiva fireplace in the living room with fresh firewood by the front door). This would be perfect as a couples weekend spot! Reason not to bring kids: kids are only allowed in one pool and all the pools are in a whisper zone--literally--there are signs. We have spent most of the days mountain biking and hiking just to give the kids something to do that won't get them in trouble. Our room is charming but a bit pricey for what it is:$300 per night for 2 queen beds, armoire with tv & DVD/sat. TV, two arm chairs, tiny bathroom, small sink area with mini fridge and microwave and outside garden tub that while still usable is older, cracked and leaks (oddly with no jets). I think the same room is $360 on the weekends.
We had a bit of a snafu checking in where they gave us the wrong key 4 times, but think it wasn't really front desks fault and the manager very kindly offered us a free private tub for an hour to say "sorry". I don't agree with previous posts about poor customer service.

1  Thank Elliemacmac
Reviewed May 29, 2010

I've been coming here for the last three years for a one week vacation with my wife. We've done with traveling just to see places. We wanted a place to relax, totally let go, recharge - and as a yearly getaway for us to renew our great marriage.
The springs are great. Different feel to each of the four pools. Temperatures can vary depending on time of day and, maybe, the weather - it's up to mother earth not the owners! The arsenic pool is always very hot and one can go back and forth from this to the cool swimming pool right next to it. I find this invigorating and strengthening.
Twice we stayed in a hotel room and once in a suite. The suite has a mini-kitchen and we bought our food. On reflection we preferred not to spend time cooking and cleaning and now stay in the hotel. A room here plus lunch and dinner in the restaurant is less than the suite and, on balance, a better deal for us. The suite was modern, SW design and comfortable. The hotel room was comfortable despite being a hundred years old!!
We've taken to having massages on our trips. These really deepen the relaxation.
The staff are friendly in a quiet way. They don't have the in your face friendliness and even the forced cheeriness of many places - yet listen and almost always help. Last year, 2009, the entrance building was just constructed and the place was somewhat disorganized and the front desk people not yet sure of the new computer systems. This year they had their act together.
Some reviews question the service. We find the restaurant service very friendly and good. Spa people were always helpful. Front desk was about 50% helpful and 50% not so. It's rural NM and we like the slower pace of the people. That's what we're here for - relax and let go.
Oh .. the restaurant is great and reasonably priced. In line with spas its nutritious, tasty, and not huge servings.
We plan on coming each year unless we find somewhere else that suits us better - but we doubt we'll find it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vancjohn
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Stayed at the Casa de Ojo which was in need of repairs. There were ripped chairs in the kitchen. The front steps were in need of repair and had been covered with a door mat. The master bathroom had an earthy/moldy smell and the flapper in the toilet needed replacing.
I had been looking forward to this night of our trip and was disappointed.
However, the meal at the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family