“Unique resort with plenty of hot springs”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Minnesota
“Unique resort with plenty of hot springs”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It had been more than 15 years since I had visited Ojo Caliente, and there have been any changes. Everything is more "upscale". Our room was very nice, with a king-size bed and small kitchenette and a patio. There was a small private hot tub for these rooms. Enjoyed the various hot springs, and also had a very nice massage. I would say that prices for massage were reasonable compared to other resorts. We had very good food in the restaurant, also.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. While the atmosphere was very relaxing, it left us wanting more. The pools were nice, but you can only soak for so long. Our room was wonderful and clean - absolutely no complaints there. I also had a massage and salt scrub by Dixie that melted my cares away. Our main complaint was a general feeling of rules and judgement. While the "whispers only" areas make for a quiet and relaxing atmosphere, it was awkward and off putting to share a small area with people that won't make conversation. We ended up back in our room watching TV by 7pm. Relaxing, sure. Boring, tremendously. The restaurant was delicious, but they failed to mention that a reservation would be required, therefore we missed dinner. One overnight stay, one spa treatment and lunch for two = $550. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: If you go, get the cliff side suite. It was the saving grace of our trip. Private tub on the patio...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RRCutter
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We are so pleased that soaking and your spa treatment provided you with the relaxation you were seeking.

We sincerely regret that you found our Whisper policy to be awkward and unfriendly. Please be assured that our intent is just the opposite -- to provide our guests with the tranquil and healing environment that Ojo is known for. We apologize also for the lack of information given to you regarding dinner reservations. It is our mission to provide genuinely gracious and accommodating hospitality to ALL of our guests. Regretfully, it would appear that we have fallen short of this objective on more than one occasion recently as it relates to service in the Artesian restaurant.

Please accept our sincerest apologies and know that we are actively working to remedy this by optimizing staffing levels, holding customer service-focused training sessions with our restaurant service staff, and improving our front of the house management/supervision profile, in order to create appropriate levels of focus and accountability around this all-important area of concern.

Thank you again for your patronage and taking the time to share your views with us. Please be assured that your comments have been applied constructively in our ongoing efforts to maximize customer service and guest satisfaction at Ojo. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again and providing the level of service and hospitality you deserve.

Arvada, CO
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Haven't been here for about 5 years. Boy was I surprised!! they've spent some serious thought, time and money on upgrading the entire resort. Wonderful reception building with extensive gift shop with lotions, spa supplies, soaps, candles, etc. unique to the southwest. We stayed in one of the new buildings. the rooms were cozy, well appointed. Very southwestern theme in keeping with the location, but very luxurious. High quality bedding, robes, towels. I've stayed in the old original hotel before (VERY noisy) but this new building was a welcome change -- quiet, felt secluded and private. We had our own patio off a central courtyard which holds the Kiva pool. Landscaping really adds to the ambiance.

Restaurant is a bit pricey, but the food is EXCELLENT!!!! Worth the higher priced dinner and skimp elsewhere.

Massage rooms are in the old bath house. Not very soundproof. Kind of detracted from the experience. Also, as they have been upgrading, I'm surprised they have not added more pools. still the old ones, just built up around them. I'd like to see more soaking options, more choices in water temp. Worth it, also, to reserve one of the private pools with fireplace.

Definitely worth the trip. Scenery on the way is outstanding.

Room Tip: Stay in the Plaza, Pueblo or Cliff Suites -- much quieter and you have access to the Kiva pool. Ver...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We are grateful for your continued patronage and are so pleased to know you appreciated all the improvements we have made in the past few years.

Ojo is historic and fresh, with eclectic charm in a relaxed and tranquil environment. This legendary oasis is one of the oldest natural health resorts in the United States and the only hot springs in the world with four unique, sulfur-free healing mineral waters. As you mentioned, the resort has undergone significant renovations and enhancements over the last 10 years, including an expanded spa, new private outdoor pools, new women's locker room, new spa entrance and gift shop, new Kiva Pool, new suites and restored cottages, and a new wine bar and lounge. Our goal is to improve the Ojo experience, while honoring its essence, charm and history, with the ongoing goal of stewardship for sustainability.

We are most appreciative of your observations and suggestions for improvements. We do have plans in motion to remodel and expand the main bathhouse to include new men's and women's locker rooms; remodel of our existing spa treatment rooms and construction of additional rooms; and expansion of our restaurant and patio. We also plan to open a new and improved Mud Pool, to be located in a sunnier spot near the large pool. The existing Mud Pool will be turned into a Lithia Pool.

Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have been coming to Ojo Caliente for years, and it only seems to get better,
The upgrades and additions to the facility are very well done, the restaurant ,
the ONLY place to eat, the staff helpful and courteous...I will be back next year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Wow, I could not help but be relaxed at this resort. The grounds are well kept, the architecture is beautiful, the rooms are well appointed and decorated nicely. I loved the kiva fireplace in our king room, and having both a front and rear door to the room makes the casitas feel like home. It was so nice to soak in the springs, get a massage, then take a short stroll to a beautiful room for a god night's rest. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012
Wauconda, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Where to begin. We planned a vacation with sons family and inlaws. 6 adults and child. Every time we called to get information we had to leave a message. Sometimes the calls were returned. Very frustratiing. Once there we had to stay in rooms till our villa was ready. Rooms are Tiny. Finally got the villa ready but hat to check out of room by 11 AM and could not get into our villa until 3PM Lucky we had two rental cars since the hotel could not keep our luggage for the 4 hours. Sorry but that is unacceptable for the cost of a place like this. Next. we called and asked about a grill for the villa since we were going grocery shopping before we got up to Ojo Caliente. Once again not response and we had to call a few times to get an answer. After we moved into the villa we asked about a high chair. We finally got a response after 2 days and numerous calls and requests at the service desk. Was always told the would get back to us. It never happened. we finally found someone that told us the only highchair is in the dinning area and none other are available. I found that rather amazing in itself that a place like this has One highchair in the whole resort.

Now to top it off. I was having hearing aids mailed to me at the resort. I called the resort to find out how to have the package addressed. I followed all instructions. Mail to PO box to the resort with my name as guest on the mail.
I checked 2-3 times a day on Monday - Thursday. No mail. On Friday I get a call from the post office if my package is not picked up it would be returned on Saturday. The package was received on Monday and a notice with my name was put in the Resort Mail on Monday. After receiving the call from the post office I called the resort. Once again left a message Saying it was URGENT since it seems no one at the resort is capable or has the job of answering a phone. Two hours latter after I picked up the package I returned to the resort and asked for the manager. After telling him I could not get through and left messages he said They get busy. Then when I brought up the package I got a Sorry. Well sorry to say I will never stay on these grounds again. Will stay elsewhere a visit a day but no vacations will be planned here. I can only estimate our costs here are $4,000, plus meals we had. I expect a lot more for my money. I get better service at cheap hotels when traveling by bike cross country. Very sad. This manager is out of his league and although most of the staff is very friendly the management gets a D- for their efforts on dealing with customers. Service stinks and that is not good when you have a service oriented business.

Room Tip: Stay down the road and get a day pass. Or google spas and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Eric R
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear reviewer: we sincerely apologize for your less than favorable experience at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs. Our goal is to provide genuinely gracious and accommodating hospitality to all of our guests and it appears we fell short of meeting this objective during your recent visit. Our Guest Services Manager Eric Martinez has researched this extensively and will be in contact with you to discuss these issues.

If for some reason you do not receive a message, please contact him at his direct line:
505-583-3221.
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been here several times when I am driving through the area. I taken my Mom here, gone alone, and taken my best friend. There is mud to lather yourself in, soda water pools, arsenic and other healing minerals. There are hammocks to lounge in, lockers rooms to change and shower in. The grounds are clean and beautiful. I highly recommend this beautiful place. Check the website for pool closure and hours of operation, the mud isn't available at certain times of day(needs sun to dry on your skin) and pools ocassionally need maintenance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are so glad to know you have enjoyed your numerous visits to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa, and are very grateful for your continued patronage.

In an effort to make our popular Mud Pool open longer during each season, we have plans this winter to move it to a sunnier spot closer to the large pool, where the location will perhaps permit us to have the Mud Pool operational through all four seasons. We are also proposing that children 3-13 have access to the Mud Pool at this new location, as we hope to allow kids to enjoy this experience as well as adults. In addition, we will be converting the existing Mud Pool into a Lithia Pool.

All of the pools, with the exception of the present seasonal Mud Pool, are open 365 days a year, from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. Regular maintenance tasks are carried out during closed hours so that our guests are not impacted.

Thank you again for your very kind remarks, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the very near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!