“Overpriced for such kind of property”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We decided to celebrate New Years eve in Ojo Caliente and booked a cottage room (300 USD per night). This is really a high price for such kind of room - configutation of room is very bad - you enter directly to the bed ! Table was really damaged, comforters on the beds and pillows are dirty. First dinner at restaurant was awful - I ordered steak fajitas - and they just shredded peppers and onions on meat that was cooked at least one day ago, my daughter asked to make chili relejnos more spicy and waiter explained that it is not possible because all food is already made in advance !! Meanwhile, New Years Eve dinner were rather good because everything was cooked the same day and they had Special Menu just for this day.
One very good thing - pools are really good and relaxing!!

Room Tip: No comment - ask the staff whether the furniture in room is not damaged
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your patronage and are delighted that you selected to celebrate New Year’s Eve here at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa.

We regret that you did not find the layout of your room appealing. Following your feedback, we have gone through all of the Plaza Suites (the lodging corresponding to the price point you mentioned) and are unable to find any damaged furniture. We feel that we offer our lodging guests a great value and wish to point out that our lodging rates include springs access for every day a guest is here, including the day of arrival and day of departure. Based on double occupancy, this is a savings of $72 - $112 per day. In addition to the dollar value of full springs access, guests lodging in our suites have the advantage of using our beautiful new Kiva Pool in a more private setting with extended soaking hours.

We apologize for the housekeeping problems you experienced and thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Please know that these were immediately addressed with our housekeeping manager.

We apologize too that your server in The Artesian Restaurant misspoke regarding the preparation of your food. We can assure you that though some dishes are prepped in advance, all meals are fresh and cooked to order. The spiciness of the chile rellenos is the direct result of how hot the chile is, rather than any seasoning of the filling. Your server should have offered you some additional condiments, such as cracked red pepper or Tabasco sauce, and we apologize that this was not the case. Our Chef has been made aware of your comments and has addressed them with the restaurant staff.

As you experienced, the central focus of our resort is the mineral pools, and we are so pleased that you found them relaxing.

We thank you again for your feedback. If you wish you discuss your visit further, please feel free to contact me directly at eric@ojospa.com or 505.583.3221.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed December 29, 2011

The good -

Love the pools. Love the beauty and isolation of the area, the fresh air, the hiking, the yoga in the yurt by the river, the smell of wood smoke in the air. The restaurant is a little pricey when you only have one option but most dishes I've ordered have been great (LOVED the mushroom gnocchi and the chocolate cigar!). Like the overall relaxed, non-pretentious atmosphere of the place.

The bad -

Due to a childcare situation, at the last minute we had to bring an 18 month old along on our "girlfriend's getaway." I had been to Ojo before and was aware that the place is not child-friendly. So we very carefully took turns staying with the baby in our room or walking around the grounds with her while the other two adults went into the pool area so that we wouldn't disturb anyone. It was a little too cold to take her into the big pool where kids are allowed, so we just kept her out of the area completely. Bummer that all three of us never got to hang out together and were constantly having to split up and plan things around babysitting shifts, but that was how it was and we dealt with it.

Then day three we see a couple with a child around the same age taking their kid everywhere, parking a stroller next to whatever pool they were in, taking the kid right into the iron pool! And apparently it was fine! They were there all morning and no one ever told them it was a child-free area or reminded them children could only be around the big pool (it was a chilly day so no one was really using that pool though). It was really annoying after we'd just spend the last two days so carefully avoiding disturbing anyone else with our child to not receive the same respect in return from other guests and/or staff. Is it a rule, or not??

And the second disappointing situation I had...

During our stay, a swimsuit was taken from my hotel room bathroom by the maid, apparently scooped up indiscriminately with some towels for the laundry. Spoke to the front desk about if I would ever see it again and they said absolutely, stuff that gets mixed in is returned by the laundry company but since laundry is sent offsite it would be several days before they could get it back. They took a message with my name and a description of the suit and told me they would send it to my home address since we were checking out the next day.

A month goes by and I never receive anything. Then one day a manager from the hotel contacted me and says he found a suit sitting in the lost in found *with my name pinned to it*, it looks like a nice suit (it was! $130 nice!) and could I please call back and tell them what address to send it to. Relieved, I called back but the person who had called me was off that day, so told the whole story to a different manager, who took my address and asked what credit card the postage could be charged to (which I thought was ridiculous since it wasn't my fault the maid took my suit in the first place, but whatever, I just wanted it back so fine, let's get it in the mail and be done with it).

Another 3 weeks go by and I still never receive anything so I called back again. Spoke to the same manager I had talked to before, asked for him by name. Only this time he flat out denies ever talking to me the first time, has no idea what I'm talking about. Takes my name and number again and says he will speak to the person who originally contacted me about the suit being there with my name on it.

Unsurprisingly, it's been another week and a half and I have not heard anything back. Honestly didn't expect to this time since it was obvious nobody had followed through several times already and it has now been two months since my stay. So bye-bye expensive suit I only wore twice. I guess you are an official Ojo waters sacrifice.

Just a frustrating experience overall, and has soured me enough that I doubt I'll go back for a third trip, or if I do probably will stay somewhere in Taos and just day trip to Ojo for the waters.

Room Tip: The rooms in the historic hotel are nice and cheap but basic and bring earplugs for sleeping as you...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer O

Thank you for taking the time to communicate regarding your recent trip to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. We appreciate your patronage and this opportunity to address your concerns.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the mineral pools and the ambience that makes Ojo so special, and regret to learn of those aspects of your visit that were less than positive. We apologize for the confusion and misunderstanding you experienced with regard to our child policy. Thank you for being mindful of our child policy and the efforts you made to accommodate your child and the other guests here. It is our policy that children under 14 are allowed in our large pool only, or in a private pool with their guardians; however, during this past holiday season we encountered some mechanical difficulties that made it impossible to keep the large pool at a comfortably warm temperature and we therefore allowed children in our lower Cliffside pools during that brief period of time. We apologize that this was not communicated to you during your visit.

We also sincerely regret the frustration you experienced with regard to your missing swimsuit, having spoken to multiple individuals with no resolution. There is simply no excuse for this breakdown in communication on our part. We have applied your feedback positively by instituting a revised Lost & Found policy to better serve our guests.

Your swimsuit has been mailed back to you. If you do not receive it in a timely manner, please contact me directly at your convenience.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is my fourth stay at Ojo Caliente and the most disappointing. I splurged for a fireplace suite but should not have bothered. The room is tired looking and lacking in lots of ways even though this section was only built recently -- scratched paint, soot on the outside of the fireplace, blinds cut to fit the door that leave a gaping hole where anyone can look in, woefully inadequate space for coats and gear for winter guests.

Worst of all, I paid extra for a room with wood burning fireplace and it didn't work, either because of the construction of the fireplace or because they're supplying it with green wood (which is what seems to be the case). Next time I want to come here, I will stay in Taos where I can get much better value on lodging, and visit the hot springs as a day trip.

Room Tip: Stick to the cheapest rooms available. The North Cottages are the best overall value. Don't wa...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NM_Dreamer

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. Your continued patronage is very much appreciated.

We regret that your suite did not meet your expectations. You will be pleased to know that we have been renovating all of our suites, and by the end of January they all will have been newly refurbished and repainted, as well as upgrading furnishings (to include additional hanging fixtures) and televisions. We are also replacing the outdoor tubs in our Cliffside suites.

Please be assured that we do our best to provide all our guests with the best possible value. By way of information, our lodging and spa guests receive added value of between $72 - $112 in springs access, based on double occupancy, during their visit, including day of arrival and day of departure. In addition, those guests lodging in our suites have access to our beautiful new Kiva Pool, which is a more private environment featuring extended soaking hours.

We regret that you were dissatisfied and frustrated by your experience with the fireplace and firewood in your suite. Our Piñon pine wood is grown and harvested locally, and yours is the first complaint we have had concerning problems lighting it.. We wish that we had had the opportunity to address this unfortunate incident during your stay.

We hope that you will visit us again as a lodging guest once our refurbishing is complete. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you better in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

The Cliff~Side Suites has now become my home away from home. The Spa treatment "Ojo Dreaming" was more then I expected. The ARTESIAN restaurant served a wonderful trout for dinner and the lunch Fish taco are worth going back for. And I would say the price is right! The waters are sulphur-free, geothermal mineral waters have flowed from a subterranean volcanic aquifer for thousands of years. Ojo is the only hot springs in the world with four different types of mineral water including lithia, iron, soda and arsenic. Over 100,000 gallons come to the surface, reviatlizing those who soak in these legendary, healing waters. I am returning to Ojo every month from here on out!!

Room Tip: The cliff suites with the private kiva tubs are the best
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I've visited for many years. The new renovations are very tasteful and beautifully done and meld nicely with the older buildings. The therapists I had are really accomplished and dedicated to their art, the pools are better than ever, and the food is well worth a visit alone! It is so rare to go someplace these days without booming music everywhere. The quiet, restful atmosphere is healing in itself. And the gardener is really special, the lovingly maintained soil produces really gorgeous plants. I am so happy Ojo is what it is!! Hope to return often.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2011

So many pools, so relaxing. There is an abundance of pools to soak in and each one seems to help relax another part of the body. The rooms are exquisite. Some even offer a private pool for your room, so you can soak whenever. The restaurant is fantastic, and everywhere you go the staff is very willing to help. Luxury abounds and the quiet atmosphere makes even just a day visit a great way to unwind. This is one of those places you can't just visit once; its a must visit whenever you need to totally relax.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Oh boy, this is the real deal! We loved the "whisper zones" and no cell phone or computer use except in the parking lot. A beautiful and simple place, so reasonably priced. You can even go as a day guest to the mineral springs. We stayed in the old hotel where the room was fine, food in diningroom delicious. Sat on front porch with a glass of wine and then wandered over to the firepit. Don't be turned off by no showers in the room - you are there to spend time in the mineral pools, swimming pool, etc. and there is a great shower facility right there (which is a very short walk from rooms). We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Abiquiu Inn
Abiquiu Inn
#1 of 3 in Abiquiu
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Inn at the Delta
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Hotel Luna Mystica
Hotel Luna Mystica
#5 of 15 in Taos
Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!