“This is a yearly trip, as well as any time I can get away,” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
You added Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
Alamogordo, New Mexico
“This is a yearly trip, as well as any time I can get away,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

The Inn at Ojo Caliente hot springs is a historic hotel that has been updated for comfort and convenience. It is exceptionally reasonable because with a stay at the hotel or any of the more modern cabins or houses one also has access to all the public pools, the steam room and the sauna. There are four different pools with various minerals in each pool, as well as a swimming pool and, in the summer - a mud bath. For a small fee one can also get a milagro wrap - which I really enjoy and recommend. One can also get a massage, a facial or take a yoga class. There are also camping facilities. The complex is located in an area that provides hiking and biking opportunities. I go there at least once a year and more often if I have the opportunity - it is my favorite form of R & R. The atmosphere is congenial to meeting others and visiting with them. The entire facility is a quiet zone so it is possible to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet and it is an adult facility. Day trips to Ghost Ranch, Taos, Bandalier National park or lunch at El Farrilato in nearby El Rito are perfect for afternoons, after you have soaked, with plenty of time to soak again in the evening. For those who prefer a private romantic getaway there are private rooms with private pools. They also have facilities for weddings or group celebrations or get togethers. I have been to Ojo Caliente at least once a year for the past 8 years and recommend it highly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was one of the most relaxing vacations sites for couples or friends. The spa is great, the pools are clean and warm, the food is great, the YOGA is wonderful, and the folks who work there are incredibly friendly.

Room Tip: If you want economy, stay in the cottages w/ microwave & frig.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This place was perfect for a long girls weekend of relaxation and pampering. After a beautiful drive from Albuquerque, and a stroll in Taos, we hit the resort. What a very pleasant surprise this little gem was. I tend to be a (let's say...) little overly picky about places I stay. I have been all over the world and have stayed at high end and trendy places to hey it's a roof over my head and it's clean. I have to say, this little place was a great deal for what you spend. I didn't find it to be over priced at all. The room we had was quite roomy, well appointed, clean, relaxing and very quiet! The grounds were beautiful and peaceful, the pools were wonderful, the food was very fresh and tasty. While there, we enjoyed the pools and several spa services (THE OJO REJUVENATOR and LEGENDS OF OJO). All of our therapist were experienced, licensed and knew what they were doing and the staff was pleasant and helpful. We dined all three days (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at the Artesian Restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed the Grilled Artichoke, Tortilla Soup, Peppered Tuna with Shiitake mushrooms & ginger butter (had this twice) and the Chile Seared Sea Scallops...ALL TO DIE FOR!
All I can say, if you are looking for stuffy, snobby and pretentious, this isn't the place for you. If you want, inviting, peaceful, relaxing and down to earth, click your heels and say Ojo Caliente, then book your trip to this little gem in the desert.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandra_TEE
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We rolled into Ojo Caliente after putting in 100 miles on a hot hot day of road biking from Taos. What a welcome sight! The grounds were lovely and the various pools beckoned our tired bodies. We paid a little more to stay in the nicer suites, which include a kitchenette. The hotel also offers single rooms, fyi. The beds were supremely comfortable (although I would have slept well on a plank) and the bathrooms were well-appointed with robes and toiletries.
The resort's restaurant was outstanding. Everyone in our group of seven loved our meals, and the servers were attentive but not intrusive. We had both breakfast and dinner there, and were very pleased with the variety and freshness of the ingredients.
The only caveat I offer is that noise is not tolerated. I felt guilty even when we talked a little loudly, so don't even think about bringing any active children to this place. I see the reason for it, but I am also one who loves to hear the voices of little kids having fun.
There is a hiking path which takes you back in time to the Indians who lived where the spa property is today. You can see pottery shards left behind by these indigenous people, but do not take them. The climb up the path is steep but if you are fit you will have no problem with it.

Room Tip: If you want a kitchen and more room, upgrade to the suites.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vamoots
Albuquerque, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and 3 days for a quick trip. The resort isn't close to a lot of attractions, nightlife, etc. It is truly a decently secluded property in a quiet part of the state. It was relaxing to say the least, and I really enjoyed staying at the actual hotel since we could easily go back and forth between our room and the pools. Check in was easy for us, and the lobby was very nice; right on par for what I'd expect for a spa resort. Our room was tucked away in this little corner in the historic hotel. The room was small but adequate and had a half bathroom (to which you showered in the locker rooms, no big deal). For the small space there was nice old style character. I wasn't expecting a luxurious room. I appreciated the close proximity to the pools, the restaurant and bar.
We explored each of the pools in the area, with the exception of the private pools which need to be reserved. However, the mud pool wasn't open. :( All were pretty nice, as well as the grounds and surrounding cliffs. The entire area was a "quiet zone" which was a little weird at first, but after a while not an issue whatsoever. I will say it's definitely not kid friendly, but in all honesty, I haven't heard of too many spas that are. I'd say find another place if you want this to be a family trip. We didn't see any kids during the stay.
The second day to our pleasant surprise the mud pool was open. I was very glad since the day before it not being open was disappointing. It was a lot of fun to "mud up" and soak in the sun. They do suggest (as do I) wearing darker swimwear that won't be stained from the mud.
We ate dinner once and breakfast twice on the property. Food overall was pretty good, but there were a few things that might be outside the box for some people. Another reason I wouldn't recommend bringing kids. The pesto pine nut pizza from the bar menu was delicious, and the bartender Craig was very accommodating and friendly. He even recommended other cool places in NM to see.
We loved hanging out in the pools at night as well, I think we ended up favoring the cliffside pools for nights, as the cliffs were illuminated with lights and made it very peaceful
In the evenings after the pools closed, we'd hang out by the campfire they'd have set up. It helped that the campfire area was close to our room.
All in all, I really enjoyed our visit. It was quiet and relaxing, and we both felt quite well rested at the end of the trip. I wouldn't make this a regular trip or anything, but I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Ojo Hot Springs had changed hands since our last visit. It used to be very funky, very hippie, but quite pleasant and comfortable. We were afraid that it was being too "yuppied-up" with the new owners, but were pleasantly surprised that they kept much of the feel of the place while improving some things that needed to be updated. We were in one of the renovated cabins across the parking lot from the original lodge. Each cabin has 2 hotel rooms in it, each with kitchenette, private bath, and a small back porch facing the mountains. The decor was simple, warm, soothing, and comfortable. The furniture was new, the place had been painted, and the whole effect was very welcoming.

The springs themselves are the star here. Each pool has a different feel, with some more rustic than others (pebbles on the floor of the iron pool, concrete swimming pool style for another), some are hot and some are warm, etc.

Spa treatments are OK but not the reason to come to Ojo. The milagro wrap (now renamed) is the exception for me. It has been a staple for years and it never fails to turn me to jello.

There is some nice hiking from the property, and spectacular views.

The only reason I don't rate Ojo more highly is the food in the restaurant was barely so-so every time I've come here. I've learned to stick to burritos and burgers. There aren't many choices nearby so the cabins with kitchens are a real plus.

I always look forward to coming back here -- am booking another trip soon!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NM_Dreamer
Edmond, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

WE have kived Ojo and watched it grow and change. It was a very spiritual place where you could get away from the world and felt at peace and healed. It has changed some for the better some not. the accomadations are great the rooms are great they changed the native american music to "spa" music which we miss I feel they are trying to capture international folks and forgetting about the reason for the waters and the spa. its very healing b ut we miss the native music.

Room Tip: the cabins with the kivas are wonderful and very clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank serenity7art
Ojowaters, Guest Relations Manager at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
My name is Jeannine Dolan; I am the Guest Services and Spa Director here at Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & Spa. Thank you to Serenity7art for their review. We are very glad to know that Serenity7art enjoyed staying in one of our suites with a kiva fireplace. We also want to share that we still honor the sacred nature of the springs, and while we have made many improvements to Ojo, we continue to welcome people of diverse backgrounds to Ojo, in keeping with the long history of the springs as a gathering place for many people over the centuries.

While we have a mix of various types of soothing music playing in the spa, we do include Native American flute. Thanks to Serenity7art’s review, we will be adding more Native American music in the spa. I invite anyone with questions or concerns to contact me at jeannine@ojospa.com.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojo Caliente
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos
5.0 of 5 stars 686 reviews
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
3.0 of 5 stars 41 reviews

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!