“very overpriced and poor service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ojo Caliente
Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ojo Caliente
ketchum, idaho
“very overpriced and poor service”
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Do not camp in the campground at the resort! Though the site was decent and quiet, it cost $30 to simply park my camper there! I did not need a "hookup" and there was no bathroom for the $30 other than an outhouse. We arrived late in the afternoon and paid the fee to camp and then had to pay an additional fee to use the hot springs that evening for a total fee for me of $50. Since it was the evening I did not want to wash may hair and figured I could get a shower the next morning since thus far I had paid $50 to camp and take an hour soak. Lo and behold the next morning, I was told that I would have to pay another entry fee to the hot springs to get a shower. What a rip-off! Even the most deluxe campgrounds will provide a flush toilet and shower for a $30 camping fee. Maybe they want to discourage camping there - if that's true - it worked. I was told by some locals that the place is under new management and the place was changing for the worse.
We also had dinner there and it was pretty mediocre food for the price, which was expensive. All told, I would not go there again except for a day soak.

1 Thank guidebookwriter2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2007

My husband and I decided to have the full "experience" of the Ojo Caliente Resort. I found the convenience and services for the springs themselves above average. It was nice to be able to go to 5 different types of springs plus 2 types of saunas within a short walking distance. It was a good way to experience various types of mineral waters easily.

We drove up without reservations and there had been a cancellation in one of the north cottages for $179/night. The room was clean with stove, coffee maker, TV, dvd/vcr player, bathroom and deep shower. I thought it smelled of a prior guest's hair products or perfume rather strongly, but that may have just seeped into the walls. I left doors open to air it out.

We ate dinner at the restaurant. We were the first people in at 5:00 p.m. and the first ones to order, but our order came out very slowly. Food was OK. Fajitas would be a good bet for someone - you could easily share it with 2 or 3 people.

The service at the hotel itself was clearly geared towards collecting money and not tending to clients. Examples: you can rent a private outdoor pool for $40 for 50 minutes (not even a full hour). Now, if you want to use the kiva, it's an extra $10/hour. I find that ridiculous.

Another small but clear demonstration of squeezing money from clients is their complementary coffee service available from 7:00 - 7:30 a.m., at which time the restaurant opens for breakfast. Even a Motel 6 type of motel often offers free coffee service throughout the morning. We actually happened to get the last bit of coffee in the lobby around 7:45 a.m. A woman walking up at that time wanted coffee as well and let the front desk know that the coffee was out. The woman working the front desk went into the dining area and came out to tell the woman she could buy some coffee in the dining room. Regardless of the free coffee "policy" (which is a very *tacky* policy anyways), good customer service dictates the help to have brought the woman out a free cup of coffee without question. This type of customer service will not happen at this resort unless management changes.

I personally would not go back and stay overnight there, but I may consider a day use of the springs if I were passing through the area, and I would consider this type of springs for persons with physical limitations that may keep them from climbing on rocky terrain/mountains to get into hot springs. Other than some type of physical limitation or just a strong urge for the utmost in convenience (and less concern on service/value), you are better off staying somewhere else.

• Liked — Convenience and variety of springs
  • Disliked — Service - greedy owners/management!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mmhaustin
Baltimore
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Decided to book one of the "cute" little cottages as the rooms in the main building didn't have private showers. Big mistake. the cute little cottage turned out to be dirty, with torn window screens and plenty of mosquitos both inside and out.

• Stayed July 2003
5 Thank JakeBaltimore
Ohio
Reviewed June 1, 2007

I had one of the best times I have ever had in my life here. A note for those who complain about lack of amenities and 'things floating in the pools".....this place is about the NATURAL mineral waters, not about fancy digs or bleached out chlorine like settings. I hope this place never becomes like that either. These are natural waters, they are not meant to be chemical-ized or over cleaned, they are already clean. Some waters are hot, some are cool, some are cold....you can sit in the shade or the sun, anyone who complains about this should probably go to a city spa where they spray city water on you.
That said, I hope I can go back someday, it was absolutely wonderful. After spending only 2 days in the waters, I felt better than I have in years. My skin looked beautiful and I felt just so good, I can't explain it. I spent a lot of time in the waters and a few hours one day hiking the Posi area. The Posi area was magical as were the spa grounds. Flowers everywhere, hummingbirds, wonderful waters, zen sculptures, antiques and historic New Mexican buildings.
I wish I could have spent all night in the waters-they truly are special. I felt like a million bucks after just one day in them, I especially liked the arsenic waters. It was great!
We stayed in the old original motel, the room was very simple but that didn't bother me because I wasn't there for the room, I was there for the waters. We sat around a fire in the evening, looking at the place lit up so pretty, a breeze was blowing, SO relaxing! The bed was extremely comfortable, Starbucks in the am was nice, and the food at the restaurant was good, a New Mexican and healthy type of cooking, I really liked it.
The only negative was my fault, I put my favorite lace top in a locker without a lock in the changing room. I saw a fellow woman guest watching me as I walked away to the pools. I made myself turn around after about 1 minute out of suspicion and what do you know, my shirt and the lady were both gone. Lock your stuff up in your room or a locked locker any place you go! Other than that, I had a flawless experience.
Ahhh! To be back there again- I hope soon, I need it! And I hope the waters are never messed up by those who need things more 'antiseptic'!

• Liked — The natural beauty and the mineral waters
  • Disliked — My lace shirt was stolen out of a locker room locker I didn't lock (my fault)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank scrufffles
American in Stuttgart
Reviewed December 28, 2006

I stayed here in the off-season and really enjoyed my experience. I had a room in the historic lodge for 3 nights and ate at the restaurant for breakfast 3 times and dinner 2 times. The atmosphere was very peaceful. I had brought my bathrobe and flip-flops as recommended on the reservation confirmation. Despite the cold temps it was invigorating to cross the courtyard to the spa area for a morning shower and then soak in the tubs. The spa is located in a beautiful semi-arid landscape with cliffs towering above the pools. The best atmosphere is at night when the cliffs are illuminated and the rest of the spa is lit in soft lights - very magical experience. And as long as the guests follow the rule of whispering it is very peaceful and spiritual.

The room in the lodge is small and has no shower or tub or tv but I did not find these to be an inconvenience as I was there for the pools and not there to watch tv. I enjoyed staying in the historic facility and don´t think they should change it at all. The spa area has a rustic feeling which harmonizes with the character of the rural setting but is clean and well organized.

I had no problems with the service although I made no extraordinary demands on them. The people I interacted with were always friendly, relaxed and unpretentious. I found the food at the restaurant to be very good.

After reading the reviews here before my trip, I thought I was taking a bit of a risk but my fears proved to be groundless.

I would definately consider returning here for another stay.

• Liked — Unique historic small intimate facility
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
7 Thank RitC
naples
Reviewed October 6, 2006

Stayed at Ojo Caliente in the summer of 06 with two women friends. I had been there over 10 years ago and the place was the very same but the prices had really changed. We rented a cabin because there were three of us. It was very dirty and way too exspensive. We all had a "spa day" of body wraps and massages. The staff does not speak English and is very unacommadating. The food in the cafe is great but very pricey. Overall it is still the laid back hot springs in the middle of NM, but now has 5 star spa pricing. I am so glad I experienced it long ago.

2 Thank bona
Sonoma County
Reviewed September 19, 2006

we didn't have time to stay, and from the reviews I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad. it looked pretty neat -- old buildings etc. staff was OK for day use -- we didn't really interact, although I remember having trouble figuring out where to go on their grounds! where to park, where to enter, where to pay -- these are usually straightforward tasks -- well, we made our way, eventually, and the baths were just wonderful. atmosphere was very relaxed, and so were we. one note -- the "lithia bath" is actually a spring -- and we drank from it and felt, well, better! so we filled up a bunch of empty water bottles (staff was gracious about that) and our spirits were lifted for the rest of our trip. didn't have a chance to eat here either -- but for a straight hot springs experience we strongly recommend it. wife's comment "we loved it."

Stayed July 2006
Inn at the Delta
#1 of 2 in Espanola
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
Adobe and Pines Inn B&B
#1 of 2 in Ranchos De Taos

Been to Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!