“The best place in NEW MEXICO by a LONG SHOT”

Abe's Motel and Fly Shop
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Navajo Dam
Abe's Motel and Fly Shop
Reviewed February 13, 2011

The familey owned abes is the one of the best places in new mexico to travel by far. Ive been staying ther from 1997 and, go ther at lest 3 to 4 times in the summer every year. I travel with my two brothers and friends with familey and lots of kids.We rent at lest 4 to 6 rooms all the time.WE had NEVER had a proplem with any of our rooms or service and, the fishing is great all the time.WE have stayed in all areas of the motel. I think like every room.Bottom line is its a nice place ran by good people and, I hope it stays that way if it gets sold most likely by texas people they will make it newer and more money. Its nice and good enough for me and , maney more people. I know my familey will be going ther for generation to generation, and me and my brothers have 8 kids now that love it and, will go ther to some day with ther familey. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK TYLER,TIM,TIMMY,PAGGY AND, EVERY ONE ELSE THAT DOES A GOOD JOB LIKE THE CLEANING LADYS.( Gilbert/Chris/Eppie GRIEGO BROS..)

• Stayed: July 2010
4  Thank GRIEGOBROS
There are newer reviews for Abe's Motel and Fly Shop

Reviewed November 16, 2010

fly shop was very informative and people very helpful. restaurant was good with friendly people (closed mon/tues). room was large but kitchenette had no utensils or pans or anything (bring your own stuff if you want to have a fish fry). no microwave and a very small fridge.cleanliness was just ok.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed at Abes for fishing trip to Navajo Lake. Very impressed. Only 79.00 includes maid service. Very nice units, satelite TV, Store and restaurant on premises.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank joeboe57
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Wow, What does some of these people expect???? A hot tub in the room....lol... This place is perfect..... Most of us are there for fishing and family time, Where else can you have a hot meal, a cold beer, and a place to sleep within walking distance for some of the best fishing on the San Juan????? So take my advice, This place is perfect for why you are there. The staff is awesome, All around a great value

• Stayed: October 2009
4  Thank NewMexicoBig_mike
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I've been staying at Abe's since the mid 70's. Over the years Abe has made me feel like I'm part of the family! I have never stayed anywhere else in my life where a inn keeper will do absolutely everything to make sure I feel at home. The Hospitality of this place is second to none. Since they added the satellite tv and wi-fi, my wife has been going with me lately just to get away and have a break from the city. One thing I miss when I leave Abe's is their green chile beef enchiladas! They have a very classy restaurant and lounge with excellent food and staff. The only complaint I have about the restaurant is the wait time. I've eaten there every time(except this time because the restaurant is seasonal and it was closed)and it seems like their cooking staff can't keep up with the demand during dinner hours. I must say the food is definitely worth the wait! HIRE MORE DINNER COOKS. Breakfast is always fast.
If this is your first time going to the San Juan and have yet had the opportunity to meet Abe, I suggest checking out his Facebook page "Abe's Fly Shop". It will tell you about all the history since 1958. If there is one place to stop to find out what the fish are biting on, Abe's is the place. There are two other very nice fly shops close by that sell some patterns Abe's doesn't for a couple quarters more. They too also have friendly and knowledgeable staff. My wife and I are planning to go back down sometime in September and staying at Abe's is just part of the experience.
Fish-on,
Joe Thomas

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ifly4trout
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed there last year - and there have been only a few improvements according to one of the staff members I spoke with last week.

The rooms are good sized. However, that's where the good stuff pretty much ends. There are just two hard beds and a table with two chairs. Everything looks like it is from 1970. Kitchenette and bathroom were not exceptionally clean, but OK. When we stayed in Oct 2007 the rooms did not have phones and we had to use the pay phone in the parking lot that didn't work well and everyone else was trying to use too. The TV got one channel - the Snowy White Noise Channel.

When I spoke with a staff member in Oct 2008 (we stayed at Rizuto's - see my review), they said that they now had wireless internet and satellite TV (but no phones). I would rather see some room improvements. I will not stay there again unless I am completely worried about cost - it is the cheapest. Although you can stay for about the same price ($60) at Super 8 motel in Bloomfield, just 30 minutes away from the San Juan, which some of my friends did and really liked - includes continental bfast and wireless.

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I stayed at Abe's for the first time recently for 4 nights with the family and it was about what we expected, which was fine for a fishing lodge/motel room.

Our room was fairly large with a basic kitchen which included a stove and refrigerator. The room was very clean with two beds and a pull-out sofa, TV and small bathroom. The carpet was indoor-outdoor type which at first I thougt was a little cheap, but then I realized why. When you get off the river, invariably you will track in dirt and small pebbles etc., so it needs to be low carpet which allows for easy cleaning.

The two full sized beds were a bit short (my feet hung over the end of the bed by a little bit and I'm 6' tall) and could use a thicker mattress pad because the springs could be felt through the sheets but we slept like a rock. We got a roll away bed for one of our kids and it seemed to sag a lot, but they didn't have a problem with it at all.

We cooked a few simple meals in the kitchen (breakfasts with eggs, toast etc.) and it was complete with utensels, pots and pans.

For the price (we paid $105/pm for the 5 of us) which was absolutely fine and I thought it was even a good value. We saved some money by not having to get two rooms, but I wasn't there to save money, I was there to fish with my family.

Overall, the surrounding area is very quiet. The cafe was not open for the season yet, and the bar was closed as well. All of the people working in the store/fly shop were great. They shared their expertise and offer guided trips to the river. I even caught a few fish (first on a fly ever) on the fly/worm combination setup they recommended.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank dssjohnny

Been to Abe's Motel and Fly Shop? Share your experiences!