“Real Nice” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abe's Motel and Fly Shop

Abe's Motel and Fly Shop
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Navajo Dam
Abe's Motel and Fly Shop
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Real Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed at Abes for fishing trip to Navajo Lake. Very impressed. Only 79.00 includes maid service. Very nice units, satelite TV, Store and restaurant on premises.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank joeboe57

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
new mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

Wow, What does some of these people expect???? A hot tub in the room....lol... This place is perfect..... Most of us are there for fishing and family time, Where else can you have a hot meal, a cold beer, and a place to sleep within walking distance for some of the best fishing on the San Juan????? So take my advice, This place is perfect for why you are there. The staff is awesome, All around a great value

• Stayed October 2009
4 Thank NewMexicoBig_mike
Manhattan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

I've been staying at Abe's since the mid 70's. Over the years Abe has made me feel like I'm part of the family! I have never stayed anywhere else in my life where a inn keeper will do absolutely everything to make sure I feel at home. The Hospitality of this place is second to none. Since they added the satellite tv and wi-fi, my wife has been going with me lately just to get away and have a break from the city. One thing I miss when I leave Abe's is their green chile beef enchiladas! They have a very classy restaurant and lounge with excellent food and staff. The only complaint I have about the restaurant is the wait time. I've eaten there every time(except this time because the restaurant is seasonal and it was closed)and it seems like their cooking staff can't keep up with the demand during dinner hours. I must say the food is definitely worth the wait! HIRE MORE DINNER COOKS. Breakfast is always fast.
If this is your first time going to the San Juan and have yet had the opportunity to meet Abe, I suggest checking out his Facebook page "Abe's Fly Shop". It will tell you about all the history since 1958. If there is one place to stop to find out what the fish are biting on, Abe's is the place. There are two other very nice fly shops close by that sell some patterns Abe's doesn't for a couple quarters more. They too also have friendly and knowledgeable staff. My wife and I are planning to go back down sometime in September and staying at Abe's is just part of the experience.
Fish-on,
Joe Thomas

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ifly4trout
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed there last year - and there have been only a few improvements according to one of the staff members I spoke with last week.

The rooms are good sized. However, that's where the good stuff pretty much ends. There are just two hard beds and a table with two chairs. Everything looks like it is from 1970. Kitchenette and bathroom were not exceptionally clean, but OK. When we stayed in Oct 2007 the rooms did not have phones and we had to use the pay phone in the parking lot that didn't work well and everyone else was trying to use too. The TV got one channel - the Snowy White Noise Channel.

When I spoke with a staff member in Oct 2008 (we stayed at Rizuto's - see my review), they said that they now had wireless internet and satellite TV (but no phones). I would rather see some room improvements. I will not stay there again unless I am completely worried about cost - it is the cheapest. Although you can stay for about the same price ($60) at Super 8 motel in Bloomfield, just 30 minutes away from the San Juan, which some of my friends did and really liked - includes continental bfast and wireless.

• Stayed October 2007

Travelers are raving about these Navajo Dam hotels

San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2007

I stayed at Abe's for the first time recently for 4 nights with the family and it was about what we expected, which was fine for a fishing lodge/motel room.

Our room was fairly large with a basic kitchen which included a stove and refrigerator. The room was very clean with two beds and a pull-out sofa, TV and small bathroom. The carpet was indoor-outdoor type which at first I thougt was a little cheap, but then I realized why. When you get off the river, invariably you will track in dirt and small pebbles etc., so it needs to be low carpet which allows for easy cleaning.

The two full sized beds were a bit short (my feet hung over the end of the bed by a little bit and I'm 6' tall) and could use a thicker mattress pad because the springs could be felt through the sheets but we slept like a rock. We got a roll away bed for one of our kids and it seemed to sag a lot, but they didn't have a problem with it at all.

We cooked a few simple meals in the kitchen (breakfasts with eggs, toast etc.) and it was complete with utensels, pots and pans.

For the price (we paid $105/pm for the 5 of us) which was absolutely fine and I thought it was even a good value. We saved some money by not having to get two rooms, but I wasn't there to save money, I was there to fish with my family.

Overall, the surrounding area is very quiet. The cafe was not open for the season yet, and the bar was closed as well. All of the people working in the store/fly shop were great. They shared their expertise and offer guided trips to the river. I even caught a few fish (first on a fly ever) on the fly/worm combination setup they recommended.

• Liked — Simple, quite motel.
  • Disliked — They could use satellite TV.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank dssjohnny
Albuquerque
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

I have fished the San Juan for the last ten years. I tend to go in the winter months when things are a little slower. I stayed at Abe's for the first five years and really didn't have good experiences.

The rooms are always kept cold in an attempt to keep costs down. Yes, you can turn up the heat, but housekeeping will turn it down again during the day which is a bummer when you come in off a cold day on the river. I twice had to change rooms when we discovered the heaters didn't work. The doors don't always fit the jams and that can lead to some drafty moments.

The rooms are spartan with no place to change out of waders. You can change outside the room and hang your waders. There is no nighttime activities, which is fine as I like a quiet place. In the winter, it's real quiet since you only get one TV station, and the reception is typically poor.

The people are always very nice. Peggy in the fly shop is very helpful and willing to share tips for places to fish. Abe's guides are only OK. I have had better success using other lodges.

If you only want a place to crash, then Abe's is the low cost option. If you want a more comfortable experince (maybe you brought your wife), there are a number of lodges that provide much better ammenities.

• Liked — The people who work at Abe's.
  • Disliked — The rooms are not very comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank scelder
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2006

We have fished the San Juan for several years now and have stayed at Abe's each time except this year, 2006.

The rooms at Abes are a one star at the very best. There is
no place to unpack your baggage and store your items in the
room if you expect to stay for an extended time. All of your
clothing will stay in your suitcase and sit on the floor. The
beds are fine, and the sheets are clean.

The bathrooms do provide a shower, but the stall is extremely
small and this makes it really hard to bathe the lower part of
your torso if you are starting to show a little age and girth.

The television reception is limited to one channel only. Forget
about Monday Night Football. There is a cafe attached to the
motel but you will need a hefty supply of Rolaids or Tums.
The fly shop is the bright and shining star of Abe's, it is surperb.

Basically, for $30 per person per night you get exactly what

Stayed September 2005
4 Thank buck.t
Also consider these accommodations in or near Navajo Dam
BEST WESTERN Territorial Inn & Suites

Been to Abe's Motel and Fly Shop? Share your experiences!