“We caught some big ones!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Navajo Dam
Fisheads San Juan River Lodge
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We did a guided float trip with Mike and had a wonderful day. My husband caught fish right away, but I hadn't had any luck by lunch time. Mike was determined that I was going to catch something. The afternoon turned out much better and my husband and I both caught some large trout (and have the pictures to prove it). Mike was very helpful and gave me some good instruction to improve my casting. We stayed in a riverfront unit which enabled us to fish right outside our room. The room itself was large and clean with plenty of room for all our equipment. We enjoyed our meals at the Backcast Cafe and all the staff were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again and Mike would be our choice for a guide.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dlgdlg

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We fished with Marcus he is an awesome river guide, had a great day caught 3 big trout, and countless quality fish. The Backcast Cafe has a great concept really fresh food we enjoyed 2 meals, especially smoked prime rib. Staff very helpful. We plan to return and will request Marcus again.

Room Tip: They have air conditioning
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the lodge area which was clean, comfortable, quiet, and a huge upgrade for some of the other lodging in the area. Meals were all good. The fishing was very good. The San Juan is one of favorite places to go and this trip will be hard to beat. The weather was perfect, minimal wind, not hot. The fishing was very good. We were guided in a float with Tanner. He is a knowledgeable and enjoyable young man. He kept us busy catching all day long. We wore out those flies and wore ourselves out. We couldn't have asked for a better experience and would would strongly recommend Fisheads and ask for Tanner for a great float. If just wading on your own make sure you talk to Chris or Peggy for some tips.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights with 3 fishing days in mid-May. My room was in the new acquisition, right on the river, and was perfectly fine: clean rooms, excellent beds, ok bathroom. Only negative was the need to drive to the restaurant, which has a pretty sophisticated menu for an unpretentious fishing lodge, and food that is absolutely delicious. The fly shop is small but very well stocked for one's needs while fishing the San Juan, and Chris (owner, head guide and major domo) as well as Peggy provide excellent and knowledgeable assistance. The San Juan was terrific, yielding approximately 20 rainbows and browns daily, many of which were in the 18" range, and the largest that I landed was a 24" brownie. The guides were extremely knowledgeable and patient and were determined to put me on the fish with the right drop and nymph. Phil was my guide for the first day and Marcus for the last 2 days. I am not an experienced fly-fisherman, but these 2 young men made sure that I ended the day extremely happy with that day's fishing.
This was my second trip to Fisheads Lodge, and I will return for more.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank abaesq
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Rooms are clean, beds are firm and comfortable, nice flat screen television. Most people are here to fish, and everyone here wants you to have a good time! Peggy's daughter is a guide on Navajo Reservoir, and Chris and Peggy work the river as guides. Their info is very helpful, and I was lucky enough to meet with Chris' dad, who helped me have an awesome day on the river. He wasn't even guiding, but recommended a few flies that put me on several fish over 20"!!!

Fisheads Lodge also has the best meals for miles! Friendly servers who will talk fishing with you all day long!

Room Tip: They now have a second lodge on the river, called Quality Waters Lodge. It is just a few minutes wa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BigFatDiner
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My brother-in-law and I selected a "package" stay at Fisheads, i.e. room, guide, boat and all tackle and it was great! The room was large, clean and comfortable, the guides were excellent, and wanted to see us catch fish, which we did. It was a pleasant experience and with the restaurant on premises ,very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank paco30
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Last week I had the opportunity to fish the San Juan River in Navajo Dam, NM and stayed at the Orvis endorsed lodge, Fisheads. The experience was very positive. We arrived as the sun was setting and were greeted by Chris, the lodge manager, and he was friendly and helpful. We had dinner at their restaurant which was very good and the full of fisherman. There are very limited places to eat and their restaurant seemed to be the busiest. If you want something really good for lunch, there is a food truck just off their property that has excellent pulled pork sandwiches and the locals all agree it's terrific. The rooms were simple, clean and comfortable. The fishing was excellent, lots of fish of all sizes and the scenery was spectacular with the fall foilage blanketing the canyons and river banks. Our guide knew the river and catered to our needs and made the trip an enjoyable experience. This is not an easy place to get to but a worthwhile visit for sure and Fisheads makes the trip a San Juan River delight.

Room Tip: I would try and leave so that you arrive at the destination while it's still day light because t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Richard W

Been to Fisheads San Juan River Lodge? Share your experiences!