“Excellent in every way”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Excellent in every way”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stopped at the Little Toad Creek Inn after visiting the cliff dwellings. It was their last night of the season and not very busy. The service was excellent, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was excellent. I had the elk filet and my wife had the lamb. The vegetables were fresh and uniquely-prepared. The background music was just perceptible and of an amazing variety (from bluegrass to reggae to Sinatra to jazz guitar and more) and completely appropriate and entertaining during the meal. This was one of the best restaurant meals we've had in months.

• Visited December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Good food, decent beer, rooms not so much.”
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights here. We came primarily because we liked the concept of an inn with a brewery, a distillery and a tavern/restaurant all in one. We arrived to find the place a little more run down looking than expected. The room was very cramped, but clean. The restaurant serves very nice food, though I thought a bit pricey, and possibly not appropriate for a "tavern". It leaned toward "fine dining" which is not my take on middle of nowhere brew pub. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The beer was OK, though they say they have three varieties, they were down to only one by the time we left. My wife tried the vodka that they distill and stopped after only one. I'll take that as a no.
To sum up. Good food, pleasant staff, OK beer, rooms not so much. I will say the room rates are very reasonable, so I wasn't expecting the world. I was very disappointed that they never cleaned our room after the first night, and the last morning I couldn't even make myself a cup of coffee because there wasn't any available in the "common room". All in all, I might go back, but it would only be for one night.
Good luck to the owners. I'll give them credit, it takes a lot of guts to try and pull off what they're doing, and it seems to be working!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank jollyguy
oklahoma
“Very friendly”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The owners are very friendly and have some tasty munchies. There are pool tables and hummingbirds. The only negative is that we tried to go back the next year and they were closed on an "odd" day of the week.

Visited May 2013
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
“Mountain Spirits & So Much More...”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We recently enjoyed a special five course Thai dinner offering at the Little Toad Creek Inn & Tavern, that far exceeded our expectations. Each course of the meal involved generous portions, tastefully presented by a staff with perfect timing. Our favorites that night were the complex and spicy Mango Salad and the Green Chile Curry with Chicken.

My wife and I each chose to explore alternate Thai menu options, sharing each course. Overall the meal was a delightfully well-prepared combination of flavors and colors, that sated our considerable appetites after a long day of travel. With a great deal of effort (and house-brewed beer) we did manage to finish the entire delicious meal and head off to our room quite satisfied.

The following evening, we treated ourselves to another meal from their regular menu after an arduous five-hour hike to a remote undeveloped hot spring on the Gila River. We chose to indulge in cocktails prepared with Toad Creek's distilled spirits, and with the exception of a bit too much ice in the Bloody Mary, we were considerably impressed by both the content and the presentation.

I tried the home-brewed beer-batter catfish and hand-cut fries, which were especially good when paired with the house-made Jalapeno Ranch dressing. The catfish is normally served with a house-made cucumber dill sauce, and comes with an spicy, oriental raw slaw served with mandarin slices. As a beverage, the Toad Creek Oatmeal Stout made a perfect pairing for the meal.

My wife chose the Apricot-Chipotle Salmon Alfredo featuring tender house-smoked salmon in a portion that was so generous we ended up boxing it to go. Those who prefer chicken with their fettuccine have the option of doing so with this creamy dish. Her one regret, was that Little Toad Creek wine list does not include the award-wining Montepulciano created by their neighbors at La Esperanza Vineyard as an ideal pairing.

Both nights, the attentive and friendly staff, succeeded in creating a casual atmosphere more akin to a bed and breakfast or pub, than a "fancy restaurant." That having been said, the quality of the meals we enjoyed (including breakfast) were consistently satisfying and delicious.

The vaulted ceiling in the dining room echoes other conversation to the extent that intimate dining is not really an option when the restaurant is full. On the other hand, the scenic view (especially outside on the deck during warmer weather), well-chosen music, and tasteful stained-glass decor manages to offer considerable compensation for such a minor inconvenience.

No doubt you will encounter reviews in this thread that express opinions to the contrary regarding staff at Little Toad Creek. All I can say, is that if you're looking for a snooty environment full of fawning sycophants straining to kiss your behind for tip money... then this is really not the place for you.

The only weak point in the list of regular offerings, is the limited number of vegetarian options available. Having previously sampled the Stuffed Portabella on the lunch menu, I highly recommend this dish. Filled with herb cheese and topped with house pesto and a reduced balsamic drizzle, it comes with homemade garlic mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables.

Little Toad Creek Inn & Tavern is a unique gem hidden in the rugged high country of the Gila. Those who come here seeking good food, good company, good beer, and good spirits... are not likely to be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Make the trip”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I've been to The Little Toad twice, once for dinner and today for lunch. The menu has lots of gourmet offerings. The service was slow but the worth the wait. We were not in any rush so we enjoyed visiting with our companions and had a leisurely lunch. Dinner was just as enjoyable..

• Visited October 2013