“SERIOUS Culinary & Brewing Talent!”

Little Toad Creek Inn & Tavern
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Mimbres
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The title says it all. If you're near Silver City or Gila, I demand that you eat here. Very, very impressed with their restaurant considering how remote this place is. Let's break it down, shall we?

We ate out on the deck on a mild evening, great views and feel from out here. We got some drinks and they make all their own liquors. I got the Oatmeal Stout & the unfiltered IPA, both were well done by the brewmaster. My wife got the strawberry daiquiri which was refreshing.

Now to the food. Whoa. My wife chose the portobello and I got the apricot pork cutlets, both dishes came with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Some of the best food we've had in recent memory. High compliments to the chef, this guy (or gal) knows what they're doing.

We got desserts because the entrees were so good. The wife chose a brownie sundae dish which was rich and good. I got the cheesecake which was fairly non-traditional cheese composition but also well done. You really have to eat here...before I forget, I thought it was cool that the servers teamed up and you received your service from whichever one was more available at the time. I liked that a lot.

Lastly, we did stay at the Inn which wasn't as impressive..I didn't want to bring this review down so will do that one separately. Don't let anything deter you from eating this fantastic food!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just got home from another fabulous meal at LTC. This one was the Mothers Day brunch. Best EVER! We always enjoy the food, service, and now the home made beer. A beautiful scenic drive and a casual outdoorsy atmosphere there. You can often see deer, javelina and a variety of hummingbirds while enjoying a wonderful meal. Food is always excellent, service even better. I could go on and on, but it's better explained if you just go. Enjoy!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

While waiting for our dinner partners to arrive we had drinks in the bar since they are now distilling vodka and rum in addition to their brewed beers. My vodka tonic had no flavor of vodka, just tonic and the lime squeeze I added-even though exhausted, I got no buzz. Same with my wife's mojoito-lots of mint flavor but none of their rum. This was on Saturday night, May 4. It was the Tour of the Gila weekend so we assumed the place would be busy and it was. However, instead of adding restaurant staff, the owner had just 1 server, no bus person and instead of helping, he was sitting in the bar downstairs. The other couple arrived so we headed upstairs to the restaurant and patiently waited to give them our friend's drink order and our appetizer order. To save time, we ordered dinner when appetizers arrived. My pasta order ($16) included no salad or bread and was supposed to be apricot chipotle chicken on fettucine but there was no heat just sweet but not apricot flavor; the hamburger was dry on my friend's order; the two 6 oz. steaks ($19 each) arrived without the advertised mushroom and one without french fries she ordered so we asked the server to fix these problems. The owner then actually stopped at our table to ask if we needed anything else and when we responded some mushrooms and french fries would be good he quite prickishly answered they were on the way. We have tried to support this out of the way place but they really could care less so we won't be returning nor will our friends that live in the valley and like fine dining. When pricing like a real restaurant you should act like one. What an idiot this owner is-do not bother-spend your money where it is appreciated.

1  Thank Steve60831
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Great food and atmosphere! Beautiful setting and fine dining make for a great combination. We highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank C H
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our first meal at LTCI was very good. The lamb chops marsala were tender and cooked perfectly medium; the mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables nicely complimented the lamb. My husband had the seared pork cutlets which were tender but quite salty. I believe they were brined, but not rinsed before cooking. The sauteed apples and onions served with the pork, as well as the mashed potatoes and vegetables were also good. They have a very nice wine selection, which includes some local and organic wines. The organic Bontera Merlot was very good.

Our second visit was a little uneven. We had friends visiting us in Silver City from CT and took the drive through Pinos Altos and then on to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. We decided to try their house brewed beer . We were told there was a blonde, red or brown ale. Three of us chose the brown ale, which was pretty good. My husband chose the red which was full of yeast particles. The bartender told us it was an unfiltered beer (which we have had in other breweries), but this was downright chewy. My husband asked to try the blonde instead, but this was even worse - very sour. So he opted for the brown ale as well. We all ordered green chili cheeseburgers served with homemade french fries, both of which were excellent. Halfway through our meal we were brought a 3/4 full glass of brown ale (no charge), but told it was the last of it. I'm not sure if they also had bottled beer, but the other drafts (red and blonde) were really undrinkable.

In years past we had also frequented Grey Feathers. The current owners have done a beautiful job renovating the dining room. The walls, fixtures, lighting and stained glass really improved the ambiance. The views out the front of the dining room are nice and I am sure even nicer once the hummingbirds return. The views out the back into the courtyard could use some work. Perhaps it was the time of year (mid-March), but it looked very unkept. Mop buckets and boxes strewn outside the back kitchen door did not enhance the view.

We wish the new owners the best, as we know first hand how hard the restaurant/hospitality business can be especially in such a remote location. We will be back to try another meal and perhaps try one of their spirits from their distillery.