All reviews silver city owners were friendly full kitchen would stay again gila national forest new mexico fridge guests amenities nm hosts lodging
Reviewed November 11, 2012

After arriving in Lake Roberts after a long, hard day of bicycling along the Continental Divide we arrived in Lake Roberts to find the local store closed and the restaurant another 4 miles down the road (we were completely out of food after 4 days of camping along the trail). We checked in to the Lake Roberts Motel and found the new owner to be so very helpful and the room very clean (apparently newly refurbished) and very comfortable. Suffice it to say that the willingness of the owner to accommodate our plight went way beyond what we might have expected and made our short stay in Lake Roberts so much better than we initially expected. Can't say enough about how helpful he was.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Joe60880
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We traveled through Gila Natl forest....beautiful traveled hwy 35 to Lake Roberts motel. Found on the internet...A wonderful place to stay in the mountains..Room was very nice, clean and the owners were very nice to us...I would stay again here for serene, peaceful time in the mountains. But if the general store does not get a new owner..Bring food and drinks for your stay..A long drive to get these...They have microwave, refrig., and grill...So everything is there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank desull26
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I really needed to get away from it all. Having been to the Silver City area 15 years prior and falling in love with the Gila National Forest, I found Lake Roberts Motel on the internet and booked a weeks stay for my husband and myself. What a wonderful stay it was. Bill and Sharon were the best hosts and could not do enough for us. The room we stayed in was so welcoming. Bright, happy colors. None of your regular motel smells. Our room was immaculate and comfortable. The grounds are kept nicely and we took advantage of the BBQ's that were available for guests. We brought Teddy our Maltipoo with us and he became fast friends with their poodle Doc. I got some unbelievable pictures on this trip. So glad I found Lake Roberts Motel. We will stop in again. Hopefully it won't be another 15 years.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda D
Reviewed August 20, 2012

But that isn't really a big issue if you aren't in a hurry. It was well past there, but the drive is beautiful. That said, getting to and from Mimbres is not for the faint-hearted. To put it bluntly, I was terrified going through the pass over the mountain roads. My boyfriend had no problem with it, but he has been living in the west for 30 years now, and is used to it. I however, wanted to jump out of the jeep and walk a few times.

But the hotel and the area are soothing to the soul after such a journey!! The owners were extremely welcoming, although the place is for sale. I sure hope whoever buys it can compare to the current owners. The room was cozy, small but pleasant. A little patio with a iron table and two chairs are in front of each room and we were lucky enough to be surrounded by archeologists who were bringing back their finds and cataloging them outside nearby. We learned about Mimbres pottery and now want to head to Deming, NM to the Deming Luna Mimbres Museum to check out some of it.

The nearby lake was great for bird watchers and fishermen. Grebes and coots on the lake. Close up turkey vultures in the trees. HUGE wasps on the flowers. Boyfriend called them tyrannosaurus wasps. I thought at first they were huge black spiders. So cool. All kinds of wild flowers and cattails.

We only spent one night, but intend to go back for a longer stay sometime. This time though, I may take a xanax or a few swigs of whisky before allowing myself to be driven over those mountain roads again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Don't be fooled by the plain exterior; this is a classy place, very clean and convenient. They even gave us a sheet to cover the couch in our room so our dogs could sleep on it. Great location for Gila Wilderness roaming, one of our favorite hiking areas.

Room Tip: We loved the extremely comfy king bed---huge!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple