“A must see in Mesilla - for any visitor”

La Posta de Mesilla
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“A must see in Mesilla - for any visitor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food is good.....but it is the atmosphere that one needs to experience. This was, at one time, a hacienda - now a many roomed restaurant and bar. Try the empanadas for dessert and one of the specialty margaritas.... Have you ever been to a restaurant that offers parrots, tucans AND piranas? Check it out!

Visited July 2013

Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Atmosphere good, food ?????”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Food pricey for what you get. The first time we went there was for lunch, good and reasonable. The second time was dinner hour, very busy and food was cold, and almost tasted like second day warmed over. Have not been back since

Visited June 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Beautiful setting and pretty good food also”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

La Posta is one of those restaurants you really need to try when you are vacationing or otherwise near the Las Cruces area. It is set right in the middle of historic Mesilla in one of its most historic buildings. But they don't stop there. The inside is visually exciting with tropical plants, decorations, and even cute parrots.

The menu offers a large variety of typical New Mexican-style food. We started off with bowls of posole which were done nearly perfect. We had standard entrees of enchiladas which were done fine. The food offered here is all good but if this place has been open for this long you would expect that. There wasn't anything really unusual though that I just had to try except the mincemeat empanada for dessert but they were out of it. Never heard of such a thing but I made one myself as soon as I got back home. I appreciate the idea.

They did offer some really interesting variations of margaritas.

Service was a little slow and disinterested but I guess it was after their lunch rush hour and they were tired.

• Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“Jewel in the desert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very good New Mexican Mexican food, which is very different from Tex-Mex. Historical Adobe building off Mesilla Square in Las Cruces. Interesting menu, good drink selection, and no trouble getting seated, even at 8:00 p.m. on a Saturday.
We ate there twice on our cross-country drive, and were happy on both occasions.

• Visited July 2013
El Paso, Texas
“Did I go to the wrong restaurant?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

After reading so many of the great reviews here, I was excited to eat at La Posta. However, my experience was nothing like so many of my fellow reviewers.

By "authentic" if one means old, dingy and tacky - then it's authentic!

I was very surprised to see an aviary in the restaurant area. What kind of Public Health Department allows live birds, feathers, feces, etc. in a restaurant!?!?

My wait was minimal at 2 pm on a Friday afternoon. I was seated in the "wine room" - right next to the "authentic" plastic grapes hanging off the wall.

The chips were O.K. but the salsa was nothing to write home about. I've had better salsa out of a supermarket jar. Mediocre at best.

My "authentic" salad was as plain as can be. It reminded me a hospital "house salad" delivered to your bed by a scared candy striper. Absolutely no pizazz or creativity.

I ordered a ribeye steak - medium rare. I was brought a VERY well-done ribeye, an old/stale baked potato and a side salad that was more of the same as above sans candy striper.

For the first time ever in my life, I had to send back the steak. The waiter, Damon, did an excellent job and was seemingly embarrassed at his colleagues in the kitchen trying to pass off a hockey puck as a medium-rare ribeye.

My replacement steak was cooked correctly but it was covered with too much Lowrey's Seasoning Salt - AFTER the cooking was over. Weird.

I'll have to go back and give La Posta a second shot sometime. Everyone has a bad day. Other diners seemed to be enjoying their meals.

Perhaps ordering an American steak in a Mexican restaurant was my own problem. Next time, I'll try the Mexican food.

• Visited July 2013