“Very good food, lots of history”

La Posta de Mesilla
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This historic restaurant has indoor decor that you have to see to believe, and the Mexican food is very good (though not quite in the class of Andele, another restaurant in the area at which I ate). Do be sure to go here if you're really hungry--I'm usually a member of the clean plate club, particularly after a huge hike such as I took this day in the Organ Mountains, but after I ordered the Banquette and tried to eat all the food they brought me, I just couldn't, and ended up taking a large containerful back to my room for breakfast.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been eating here for over 40 years. It was my mothers favorite place to eat. It also makes for a great Sunday ride from El Paso if you take the backroad up through Stahlman Farm.
The atmosphere is awesome and the service is always good. Get seated in the Garden Room if possible. The food is very good and consistent. I can't get past the Tostadas Compuestas, that is what I order most of the time as it is not a dish that you find at many other places here in the southwest. All the dishes are very good actually. If you like margaritas try the ChiliRita it is great.

1  Thank jarbra15
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I drove all the way from El Paso to give this restaurant a try and it was worth the trip. Very colorful and distinct atmosphere. Entry to the restaurant has a small gift shop and an aviary with parrots. The service was great and the waist staff were friendly and helpful. Food was amazing! You can order a Mexican coke which tastes like a throwback in the states.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We enjoy this restaurant for its atmosphere; it is in a very old adobe building. It has many rooms all connected in a maze-like way. Decorations and lighting is colorful and very pleasant. The food is pretty good, not the best we've ever had, but definitely good enough when added with the enjoyable surroundings. The location in old Mesilla is very nice, but parking in their tiny lot was too hard; we used the larger public parking lot. The jewelry store is nice and they have a gift shop with t-shirts, etc also.

1  Thank 52cali
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We sat at the bar. Great bartender, and super service all around. Food is typical (yummy) NM style. I thought they used very good chile. The drinks were well made and they have a fabulous selection.