“interesting,historic place but look don't eat”

La Posta de Mesilla
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Green chili enchiladas seemed prepared with canned green chile. Mexican shrimp cocktail had few shrimp and runny sweet sauce.

Hot sauce was very good and spicy !

Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed May 9, 2011

The last time I ate at La Posta it was in the 1980's. I remember being disappointed in the food after a long wait in line. I remember saying I would never go there again. Well after 25 years, I was in Las Cruces on business and of course the group I was with wanted to go to La Posta.

Once again I got the Chile Rellenos, to see if I was wrong, and once again I was disappointed in the blandness of the food. Had the Cinco de Mayo Margarita which tasted and looked like Mountain Dew. The waiter we had was a nice kid, but very forgetful.

The atmosphere is great; there are exotic birds in the entry and huge tropical fish as well. The décor of the restaurant is fitting for the historic old Mesilla theme. This is not the first restaurant I have been to that had received accolades from major magazines 40 or 50 years ago and are still proud of the article that was written about them. Too bad whatever made them famous long ago isn't true today.

If one wants to experience "La Posta" to say "Been There, Done That" then I suggest you go, but I would not make a special trip just for the restaurant. There are better local Mexican/Southwestern Restaurants in near-by Las Cruces. The nice thing about this visit, there were no long lines.

Reviewed April 15, 2011

Chips and salsa good, flat enchiladas with red chili very good.

Reviewed March 2, 2011

La Posta de Mesilla was recommended to us by a bead store owner that lives in the area. It was also recommended, separately, to our friends by someone they had met along the way. We decided to meet there for lunch after touring around the village. The 4 of us burned through 2 baskets of chips and salsa before our drinks even arrived (which has more to do with how hungry we were and how good the food was and nothing to do with the speed of the service). Our waiter, Steve, had one motto : "no worries"...whatever we asked for was met with "sure, no worries." It was completely fantastic. And Steve took a great photo of the 4 of us after lunch, as well. The margaritas were delicious - I had the Desert Rose margarita, which is made with cactus juice. Actually, I had 2 of them. And our companions really enjoyed their lunch, as well. The decor is standard Mexican fare with lots of flair and color. And the total for each couple was around $30, including drinks! In addition, there is a jewelry store, Matteo, attached to the restaurant which offers some truly exquisite pieces. If I was not a jewelry designer myself, I would have gone poor in there.

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Second time here. Service is hit or miss. We got a hit this time. Great waiter. Had the pork nachos. Great! Something berry margaritas. Two. Great! Wife had cheese enchiladas. Red sauce. Great!

It's funky Mexican restaurant atmosphere is to be expected. Live parrots in the lobby. The bill was reasonable.

It was a full moon night. Nice walk back to the car. We stay at the local hotel on our way to Texas. It's a good stopover. This place is an easy yes for dinner.

It was a full moon night. Nice walk back to the car. You get the total experience.