“New Mexican - the full experience!”

Emilia's On the Plaza
Ranked #14 of 16 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Mexican
Dallas, Texas
“New Mexican - the full experience!”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

If you want the full New Mexican experience - this is it!! Awesome patio - live local musicians - view of the quaint town square!

We had driven by the evening before and the place had live music and a good crowd. We had some time to relax today so returned. There was a local couple playing guitar and singing so we were excited to sit in the patio outside and enjoy the afternoon.

We were promptly greeted by our server who suggested their margaritas. Since it was a nice afternoon, we opted for beer and wines, but other patrons were having margaritas and they looked fresh! We ordered the the sampler with queso, guacamole, and salsa. The ingredients were fresh and the chips not greasy. The server brought us a carrot, raisin, pineapple salad on the house! What a fresh pleasant surprise!!

We had dinner plans with our daughter so did not order entrees, but look forward to returning on our next trip!

• Visited August 2014

Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Very Disappointing Update”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

I wrote a very positive review for Emilia's On the Plaza in April of last year. My wife and I returned on July 4th as part of our Independence Day celebration. What a dramatic change for the worst! A surly waiter scowled at us amidst piles of old boxes. A TV was blaring in the background. Another couple sitting nearby looked at us and shrugged. My wife and I waited for some time and then walked out. We noticed when we got to another local restaurant that the other couple that had been with us in Emilia's had left as well! We won't be back.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Frank N
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“This was a horribly disappointing experience!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

i needed to find a place to tell my story about this Mexican food place i experienced recently called "Emilia's on the plaza" and hopefully this is the right place. So here it goes:
my boyfriend and i went to old Mesilla, because generally this is the place to find the best Mexican food in town. we sit down in the restaurant and see immediately that there was no complimentary chips and salsa, which was like wth? next i needed a refill for over ten minutes before asking for one. the staff seemed bored, texting and sitting around, while not serving us (the only customers in the place) next my green enchaladas were disgusting and weren't fresh. i sent it back, and by the time i got my replacement meal i was ready to leave. i then waited to be checked on so i could get some mayo for my burger, which i ended up getting up to ask for. i reluctantly paid and got a box. horrible place, service and food were both awful!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Chantel1988
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Lunch on the patio and watch the crowd”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We had a nice late lunch here on the patio on a beautiful day in April. Margaritas were excellent, as was the food. Service was good. Not being from the southwest, we tried some dishes we had not had before and were not disappointed. Prices were reasonable. A nice place for lunch if you are visiting Mesilla.

• Visited April 2014
Silver City, New Mexico
“Fresh and Tasty”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Being New Mexico residents, we can be quite picky about our Mexican restuarants. Emilia's lived up to our expectations!

My wife had the shrimp fajitas with corn tortillas and a margarita. We shared the chip and dips. I had the red combo plate but substituted the tamale for a relleno.

The chips and dips were very good. Wife loved the guacamole and we both liked the queso dip, which was infused with some carrots, chile, and lots of garlic. The salsa was very fresh and tasty while not too spicy.

The first attempt at my wife's margarita was abysmal and was sent back. The waiter tried again (it was the first one made that day and he later apologized for rushing it) and the 2nd attempt opened her eyes... it was good. Her entree was, again, fresh and tasty, although she thought the shrimp could use a little more seasoning. The hand-made corn tortillas were very hot and tasty. The serving plate was cold, however, and at our altitudes, the food quickly cooled.

My red combo plate included one of the best rellenos I've ever tasted... nicely spiced coating on a flavorful relleno. Rice and beans were done to my liking. The red chile con carne was delicious but lacked a little depth... like it hadn't been cooking quite long enough for all of the flavors to mix... but still very good.

Atmosphere was typical Old Town Mesilla... old building with lots of charm and texture, although not much else to look at on the interior. We sat on a banco in the corner, which afforded us some privacy and a good view of the rest of the restaurant... very nice.

Overall, we enjoyed the visit and the meal.

• Visited March 2014