“Excellent meal”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

First, this is not a Mexican rest. It's a fine steakhouse. They were running a Thursday night special on prime rib. So I tried it, while keeping my expectations low. It was excellent! So tender with great flavor. The mixed veg was just ok, and the twice baked potato was a little dry. Not bad enough to ruin the meal by any stretch. I really liked it and it was a beautiful place. Great for date night.

1  Thank MICHAEL A

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Double Eagle used to be one of my favorites, but after several visits in the past couple months, I probably won't ever go back for the food, but I will stop by for a drink in the bar...one of the best bars in the area for the great ambiance.

During my last visit, the server was fantastic, but the food was almost inedible, and I am not really a picky eater. It has been that way for some time, and sadly has affected the Sunday brunch. What was once a fresh and tasty brunch has turned into a room full of food that sits until someone takes it on their plate, even if it is dried out and looks unappetizing. That is if food is left. Sometimes empty serving containers sit until someone finds the nerve to ask a server if it will be refilled.

I would encourage visitors to stop by to see the building, which really is beautiful inside. Have a drink in the bar and recognize you are paying a little extra for the surroundings, but don't waste your money on the food.

1  Thank newmexicogirl73
Reviewed January 22, 2014

the steaks are just awesome the burgers and salad just delicious the Bar has all I mean all you can think off from the best wines to the best tequilas and beer just great best place to take you wife for a romantic dinner just fabulous

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stopped for dinner because of a recommendation by a resident. The food was better than average ( we ate in Pepper's because of the availability of 'lighter' dinner choices). The waitress was friendly if a little distracted. Not long after being seated for dinner a private dinner party emerged from the bar. From that point the experience went downhill. One of the dinner party, appearing very drunk, started bellowing (there's no way else to describe it). His behavior then became worse. I complained to the waitress, then to some employees in the bar. Their 'response' was denial. It then became quite clear that the 'patron' was much more important to the staff than the other diners...he 'owned' the restaurant. Eventually another staff person appeared and offered to 'move us to other seats' as well as 'a free piece of cheesecake'. I suggested the restaurant 'comp' my check. The staff person rolled his eyes, turned, and stomped away. Both offers we're late, as I was almost finished with my meal, and to my thinking, insulting. I have eaten in restaurants all over the world, but
this was my worst experience. Ever.

2  Thank cnickel1
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had a reservation for Peppers (in the same location), but because it was New Year's Eve, the entire building was serving the Double Eagle menu. As we had a reservation for Peppers and a Restaurant.com coupon for $25, they would accept it towards the Double Eagle menu. The least expensive entree was chicken at $21. It seems that the Double Eagle specializes in aged steaks, which can cost up to $48 per entree. I consider that very expensive. Even with our $25 coupon, it came to a little over $20 and then we had to put on a $7 tip (to cover the original amount). We sat in the Peppers area, which has a garden like atmosphere. Each table had a white tablecloth, a small poinsetta and a candle, and the garden-like atmosphere was, as always, very pleasant. The service seemed a bit slow although not all tables were occupied and some people were turned away if they did not have reservations. I guess if you like steaks and are willing to pay the price, this restaurant could be for you. However, the usual seating in the Double Eagle room is plush and dark. I prefer the garden setting and the Peppers' price and menu.