“Bad service, mediocre food, but nice atmosphere”

Double Eagle Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We came on for Christmas eve dinner. I’ll try to be brief:

The Bad:
1. Did not have our reservation written down.
2. Subsequently we were seated in the un-heated back room.
3. Had to ask for the complementary bread.
4. The side dishes came out cold to luke warm. When they brought out more, they were the same temperature.
5. The “seasonal vegetables” were composed of frozen green beans.
6. Sauces were served with no instruction as to which dish they accompanied.
7. The New Mexican Apple Strudel was definitely sub-par with little flavor.
8. When the bill arrived, they tried to double-charge for a dish that on the menu stated “For two” not “per person” (Chateaubriand-definitely not worth the $50/2 people, much less the $50/person that they tried to charge). They were reluctant to bring out the manager, and when he arrived he delt with us with much sarcasm and attitude.

Also notable: The previous day I ate at Peppers for lunch and my side of “boracho beans” was delivered cold.
Only two bathroom stalls for a large restaurant and bar.

The good:
Beautiful building, with a classy atmosphere.

Overall:
Wildly overpriced food for the quality and service. Even the nice atmosphere is not enough to redeem this restaurant from bland, poor quality, cold food. I would not recommend.

3  Thank lizabeth_12

Reviewed December 25, 2013

a lot of reviews indicate that this restaurant is too expensive and the food bad. This is NM, so anything more than $15/entrée is considered expensive. My family thought the dining experience was good. In college, I could never have afforded to eat here, although I always wanted to. I would come back again.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was by far the best meal we had in the are as well as the most expensive. It is a noted steak restaurant which was very good but we found the salmon florentine and lamb chops en croute to be absolutely fabulous. Even though it was filling,we wanted to finish the whole plate. The fish and chicken dish range in the $20's and steaks are $40s. The dining room also has a nice history to it. When entering if a reservation has not been made, differentiate to which restaurant you are attending as they also have a southwestern restaurant (Peppers) on premises.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Made extensive arrangements to have family meet at this restaurant for Thanksgiving. My father has very fond memories of eating here with my mom. Building is beautiful. Food was barely edible. Cost was $$$$. Wont return.

3  Thank yellowrose2010
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My wife and I just returned from the Thanksgiving buffet at the Double Eagle. It was the worst dining experience of my life . . . truly, unbelievably bad. First off, this meal cost $45 per person. For this we got small turkey pieces floating in lukewarm water, lukewarm yams saturated in marshmallows, cranberry sauce right out of the can, and cold mashed potatoes with watery gravy. These items were surrounded on the buffet table by leftover breakfast items such as sausage patties and french toast. I've served better food when volunteering at the Rescue Mission on Thanksgiving Day! Let the buyer beware.

3  Thank Frank N