“Beautiful setting”

Wendall's Steak & Seafood Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Wendall's Steak & Seafood Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Mescalero
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This restaurant looks over the lake on the reservation, beautiful view. Their martini's, appetizers, and steaks are terrific. The service is professional and well mannered. They have very unique nightly specials be sure to ask.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

While the buffet at the Inn of the Mountain Gods got all the breakfast business, we thought our breakfast at Wendell's were far superior and very reasonable. My wife raved over her cheese omelet, and my hot oatmeal and hash were both excellent. We had great service and a table with a view of Mescalero Lake and the surrounding hills in a quiet atmosphere. Simply cannot ask for more than that.

1  Thank lobo59
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We asked and received a table by the windows with a view of the lake and mountains. Instead of salads or soups, we chose to begin with the Shrimp Cocktail -- four huge shrimp with a sauce that was outstanding.

We enjoyed the following entrees: Center-cut Rib Eye Steak; Filet Oscar; Pecan-encrusted Salmon; and Crab-stuffed Shrimp. We all agreed the food was excellent. Our waiter was very friendly and kept the meal running smoothly. For dessert, we wanted to order the Berry Tart, but unfortunately, they did not have any even though it was shown on the viewing tray. We ordered the Cheesecake which was good and very large. Our friends ordered the Lemon-filled Creme Puff which came to the table frozen!! This was the only negative to the entire meal. They then ordered gelato with chocolate sauce, but thought it was just regular ice cream. I think their dessert should have been complimentary.

The restaurant was busy even though it was a Tuesday evening. All in all, a very enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I have to start out by saying, I can be kind of hard to please when it comes to eating. So when I really like a restaurant, I think everyone should go there. I am like that about this place. I had heard that it's wise to make reservations, as it gets busy on the weekends. Glad we did, because there were lots of people in there.

My husband and I went on a Friday night for a date night. We'd heard that it was pretty expensive, but he's been gone most of the summer and were willing to splurge. The atmosphere was ok. It was a little loud with all the people in there, but I was so engrossed with my company, I could hardly tell. Plus there was a gentleman playing his guitar there, which was nice to have in the background.

First came the bread and olive oil/balsamic vinegar, and the bread was warm and nummy! They even brought us more without us asking.

We started out with the oysters from the first course, because neither of us had ever had oysters. I was curious what they taste like out in the middle of the dessert. I normally like almost all forms of seafood. They were ok, but I probably would try something else next time.

Next came the wine. I can't remember which exactly we got but it was from Bordeaux. It was very good. My husband started drinking it right away, and he said it was good. I told him to let it sit for about 30 minutes and it would be better, and it was. Very full bodied and not overly dry.

Then came our meals. I always agonize over what to get, and I always ask what people's favorites are. This time both the bartender from the lounge and the waiter both liked the stuffed shrimp with some sort of caper sauce, so I went with that. It was absolutely wonderful! It came with jasmine rice and white asparagus. I have to say, it was all pretty decent tasting separately, but when you put it all together in a bite it tasted even better! Though, the rice was a tiny bit on the dry side on its own, it went very well with the sauce and shrimp! My husband got the elk tenderloin in some sort of wine reduction. He thought he tasted raspberry, but I wasn't quite sure (had a few cocktails by then). It came with some sort of little egg bake thing that had peppers and onions in it. It was good, but seemed like an odd combo to me. Don't get me wrong though, it all tasted awesome though! I could not believe how tender the elk was, and usually you can tell a gamy elk taste, but I never would have been able to tell with this had I not known it was elk.

We ended the night with a huge piece of cheesecake. It was good, but nothing special from any other cheesecake. Just more expensive. I was kind of hoping for something fresh, but I don't think it was.

Over all it was a VERY expensive night, but like I said it was a special night out without kids for us, so it was worth it. Tax and tip came up to almost $180. Granted, you can eat there for A LOT cheaper than we did and I would imagine have the same sort of experience.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Wendell's is 5 star plus, you will love the food, and the staff is great, if you are looking for the best you will find it at Wendell's,
Eddie