“The Good, The Bad, The Good”

Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Reviewed February 6, 2010

After a long time friend hitting the jackpot so to speak our extra day in Ruidoso was spent at The Inn Of The Mountain Gods(after 3 nights at the Executive Inn as the only people in that place)Grand Suite, for us having spent many nights on the road in bands staying at seedy hotels this was high dollar for us.......so it's kinda like the Beverly Hillbillies showing up....

First it's a nice hotel with great views of the Sierra Blanca Mountains, the lake and surrounding woods, Casino was okay but the smoke was overwhelming and me loosing more than winning..........

As for Food we did have the Lunch Buffet that was $26 for two people which isn't bad at all, choices were very good and had our fill.(minus my cap breaking and thus ending my quest to clean out the deserts)

The room size was huge at 1066sq ft, nice few with private balcony, while sitting outside we watched bald eagles flying around...........At first glance to us the room was perfect and we were not looking tom close, then upon looking closer we did notice stains on the carpet, chairs and table.....which to us we were use to but at $179.00 a night we didn't think that was right.

Did use the pool & hot tub, workout room was great with alot of different machines to choose from. All in all this is a great place though I wouldn't call it 4 star, but for Ruidoso you won't go wrong.

As for the people running the hotel & Ski Apache I'd heard before going they can be at worst rude and at best rude, we didn't have any problems with them and the people running the hotel were all very nice to us, even let us check in 3 hours early(granted it is slow season for them) and we talked with 4 or 5 different people and only got slight attitude from one.(no Basil Fawlty's in the building)

I'd stayed again if money doesn't ever become a issue.......

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pecos_Drifter

Reviewed January 31, 2010

INN OF THE MOUNTAIN GODS

I've been going to Ruidoso, New Mexico for 35 years to ski, and have stayed at The Inn 27 of those 35 years, even back before they built the new hotel with the addition of the casino. The majority of the hotel staff has always had an *attitude* toward hotel guests that wasn't what one would expect at this price. Still, it's the best choice for a place to stay as the rest of the hotels in Ruidoso are not nearly as nice, nor do they normally have restaurants. So, The IOTMG has always been my first choice. The Inn is located in a most serene location with breathtaking views, which allows you to overlook other things.

This time our stay was nice enough w/ good & bad memories. Wendell's has mostly wonderful food w/ some things that were not so great. Like overcooked meat, classic Caesar salad was supposed to be made at table side, which it wasn't. We both suspected bottled creamy Caesar dressing which we both detest. I finally learned that if I wanted a steak cooked medium I had to order it medium rare. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our waiters Ryan and John who were very good at their jobs.

Most of the hotel staff was indifferent to guests but we did find a few very accommodating employees. The majority of the hotel and casino staff will treat you as if you were a piece of poop they just stepped in. Check-in took around two hours, even though we'd had a reservation & it wasn't like there were lines of people waiting to check in. In my honest opinion, I believe they do this purposely so that you either go to the casino or one of their bar/restaurants & begin spending your money. I suppose I can't really blame them for that since it's a marketing strategy.

The Superior rooms were comfortable & clean, although nothing to rave about aside from the views. Nice toiletries, thick towels and plump pillows. The robes are a nice amenity and the room service is excellent. Go figure.

We found the valet parking to be excellent as long as you remembered to call ahead for your car.

This was the first time we ever came out ahead on the gambling, which proves it can be done. However, I had one of the worst experiences of my life during our last night there. I had been sitting at a blackjack table (winning) for most of the evening, as well as making friends with some of the other players. Since I write two blogs, I thought it would be great to have a picture or two of the tables & my dealer. I took two quick (no flash) shots and was promptly ordered to erase them by the pit boss. When I inquired as to why, he wouldn't answer me. Apparently, what I did was criminal in their eyes & I was promptly removed from the casino, escorted by a security guard... for all of the world to see. Then, they demanded my driver's license so they could make a copy of it. I suppose my picture & name are now displayed on a wall with all the other criminals who have stayed there and made the mistake of trying to take a photograph. Having said that, I will also add that we’ve been to casinos in Las Vegas, Reno, Lake Tahoe and Laughlin and I’ve always taken pictures of the casino gaming areas and was never kicked out for doing so.

Oh, and get this… There is no drinking of alcohol at ANY of the tables, but they allow you to smoke. I might never come to grips with that line of thought, but I abided by the rules just the same. Stoooopid rule (or law) in my opinion.

So, with all of these things in mind, I would still recommend a stay here. It's really the only place in and around Ruidoso that actually has everything on site. Having dropped well over $1,500.00 during our 4 night stay I should think the hotel would train their staff to be more polite & cheerful. Most people don't mind paying more but almost everyone wants to be treated with respect, no matter what price you pay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LWC52
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Loved this place, with the great mountain views, big fireplaces in the lobby, a casino and concert venue to boot! This is true getaway if you want to stay in the Ruidoso area but want to feel a little more away from it all. There's a nice indoor pool and hot tub, workoutroom, and saunas in the locker rooms. Beds are very comfortable and the buffet is better than most, with one of the best bread puddings I've ever tasted. Staff was very nice.
We weren't expecting it, but we ended up snowed in for our two days. It was beautiful, and we just hit the casino, went to a great rock concert, worked out, and took a sauna-- all without steppping outside.
Oh yeah, there's golf, too, if that's your thing. Rooms are pricey but they do run specials and if you join the casino's players club you might get offers, too.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2010

worth it.
the beauty of the outdoors is brought through the whole hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2010

While this is a beautiful building with a gorgeous view, the hotel is beginning to have maintenance issues - of two rooms in our group, both had shower heads that were practically unusable, and one of the rooms had a shower drain that would not drain at all - just kind of leaves a bad impression when you have to shower with water up around your ankles.

Overall attitude of staff is poor - always have to wait in a long line to check-in, and sometimes the room is not ready. If you want to use a luggage cart to get your own stuff to your room, forget it - you know there are a ton of luggage carts, but they keep them locked up, and unless you can snag one when someone else is through with it - just be prepared to haul your stuff a long way and make multiple trips.

If you play in the casino, you better haul your own drink in there, because they do not have self-serve soft drinks/water, and you may just about die of thirst before someone comes around with a cart...last time walked the entire casino about 3 times to find cart to get water for elderly parents and myself, only to be told that I could only get 2...seriously, I'm dropping all of this money in slot machines, and can't get a .20 bottle of water??? Almost all casinos now have self-serve soft drinks in addition to a cart...they have a window and space for this, but don't use it. Bad business on their part as I waste a lot of time looking for a drink cart that I could be playing slots.

This trip I had a lot of trouble with machines - jamming, not printing tickets, won't accept money - spent a lot of time waiting for a floor attendant - one told me that she was the only one working in the casino - and this was on a busy evening.

Will have to seriously consider whether I will return this time...plenty of other nice places to go that appreciate their customers more!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djbTx
Reviewed January 11, 2010

It was a great place to spend the holidays, thumbs up!!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Love the scenery and being close to the mountains. Nice rooms a very good buffet with a cozy lobby. Yes it may be a little pricey but it is a treat. People who don't agree are probably jealous or lost money gambling.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
MCM Elegante Lodge & Resort
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#4 of 23 in Ruidoso
Best Western Plus Ruidoso Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ruidoso Downs

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!