“Beautiful Location, Wonderful Staff, Great Vacation!”

Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Corrales, New Mexico
“Beautiful Location, Wonderful Staff, Great Vacation!”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was a little nervous to make reservations here, but I had visited the resort a couple times and its beautiful location made me willing to take the risk and reserve 3 days in a suite.
I was happily surprised to find from the moment we checked in, there were helpful, friendly, accomodating, staff members to help us. We were greeted at the curb and immediatley had our vehicle and luggage taken care of. The bellman also got us ice for our room ( after hanging up our clothes in the closet for us) and made sure we had everything we needed before he left. The suite we stayed in was just lovely with a beautiful view of the lake and mountains. The restaurant staff went out of their way to make us whatever we wanted and the bartender at the lounge (Tammy) even had a "special" dinner made for us on our last night that was one of the best meals we have ever eaten.
We had breakfast in the buffet two of the mornings and had made to order eggs and the rest of the food was hot and fresh. The cost is very reasonable if you have a players card.
The casino is not very big, but we did very well there. We had enough casino credits to pay for one night's stay and enough money left over to pay for the rest of the vacation with our winnings with extra money to take home. I realize this is not the "norm" for any casino, but you can win here.
I have traveled the world and stayed at 5 star resorts. The Inn of the Mountain Gods may not be a 5 star resort, but we were definitely treated as though it is. Don't miss this beautiful location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NMtravelerNewMexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Fresno, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The grounds this hotel/casino sit on are beautiful. The back of the hotel sits on a small lake surrounded by trees. Nice facilities throughout. The pool and hot tub are nice too. Unfortunately, this will all be overshadowed by what we found in the bed. We pulled back the sheets of our bed the first night to find a surprise of blood spots on the sheets. I understand, it happens. But this has the potential to be a health issue. They were prompt to send housekeeping down at 1030pm to change the bedding. However, it took several attempts to speak with a manager. Between Friday night, and Sunday morning when we checked out, we left no less than 3 messages, with either the front desk staff or by voicemail, requesting a manager contact us. Never happened. We finally were able to get one to talk to us on Sunday as we checked out. After showing her photos of the blood on the sheets, her answer simply was "OK, Ill let the group that booked the room know." No apology, no nothing. Had we not been required to be there for a conference, we would have checked out and left. Unfortunately, we will not be going back nor recomending this business to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank CaFamilyNOly
NM
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Undeniably a beautiful setting- and thats it! Things started off bad and went downhill from there. At check-in, there was no one to move the luggage to the rooms, so we loaded the cart provided by the parking valet (he wasn't interested in even putting the bags on the cart), and stood in line for 20 minutes at registration. The whole stay was filled with contrasts- the beautiful lobby with someone pushing a vacuum cleaner behind your chair, the "leaf-blower man" at 6:15 AM. The decent fitness center with staff who couldn't tear themselves away from the games on their cellphones. The coffee shop attendant who let guests stand in line while she worked on paperwork. The attractive suite with bedside lamps falling apart to the point that they were safety hazards. Over and over again the sight of staff gathered in small groups socializing while a guest stood nearby waiting for service. They don't seem to understand that providing good service doesn't make you a servant-it makes you a success. It is classic bad management. The restaurant was named after Wendell Chino- a truly great man but the hotel is an insult to his name. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ritchit_9

Travelers are raving about these Mescalero hotels

Boerne, Texas
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We visited hoping to find a wonderful retreat in the mountains that would be worthy of the AAA "Four Diamond" award they so proudly display. After three days there I'd say AAA needs to make a return visit. A few of the lowlights:

1. Things are broken and out of order all over the hotel.
2. The casino does NOT pay 80% as required. You WILL NOT break even or win.
3. The buffet was mediocre and food was lukewarm at best.
4. Cigarette smoke from the casino permeates the entire hotel.

The worst part of the experience was the staff. As someone who travels regularly across the nation, I have never met a resort staff that is so lacking in basic customer service skills. Never so much as a smile when greeting or serving, and a "take it or leave it" attitude. Very disappointing considering the price paid to stay here. Staying here was to be the centerpiece of our week long trip... we could not wait to get out of this resort.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Padrino316
Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2009

This is an Indian run lodge and casino (the casino part is laughable). I've been to Isleta and Sandia, so I was expecting something similar at Inn of the Mountain Gods. The lodge is beautiful and the surroundings are breathtaking. The cool, clean mountain air is wonderful. And that's about the only positive things I can say about it. Generally, the staff was rude and unconcerned about the needs of their customers. First, the valets pretty much ignored us, so I went in while my brother parked the car. When I asked one of the front desk workers a question, she actually snapped at me to the point where I asked for her supervisor. When I got to the room, it looked old and unkempt, but the view was gorgeous. My brother and I went to the restaurant to eat, and once I saw the prices, I decided to take everyone on a road trip to Ruidoso (where I got pizza and beer to feed everyone for about 1/3 of the price that it would've cost me to feed just one person). The casino was the tiniest casino that I've ever seen and it had very little variety in its games. The workers in the casino signed us up for the Apache club, but seemed annoyed that they actually had to do it. Later, we went to our room and tried to sleep. I've only slept on two hotel beds that were worse than that and even my mattress that was ten years old and sagging would've been much more comfortable than the beds they had there. That thing was the lumpiest bed that I have EVER slept on. We decided to leave the next day and upon checking out were treated to the same level of hostility that I'd received on checkin.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank borderlandbarrister
Houston, TX
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Totally awesome all the way around. Beautiful hotel, large, very nice room; great service from front desk to room service, to waitstaff. Very nice, hard working young people. The golf course was one of my all time favorites-true mountain course, very well maintained and no condos in sight. Much better than Links at Sierra Blanca

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
albuquerque, nm
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My husband and I went to Inn of the Mountain Gods for our anniversary, last November.
We arrived on a Wednesday and decided to try their seafood buffet. Three hours later I developed food poisoning!! My husband went to the front desk and asked for a manager. He was told the manager was busy. He was shoved a form to fill out. No concern, no apologies, and no manager to talk to. After suffering through the night, I went to the local clinic and was it was confirmed I had food poisoning. We had reservations for two days but wanted to leave and go home. My husband was told if we checked out we would not get a refund of any kind, so we decided to stay the night and leave on Friday morning as planned. On Friday morning since I could not eat anything, my husband decided to get a chocolate milk for the road from the gift shop. After he had purchased it I told him to check the expiration date. We were shocked to discover the milk had expired over a month earlier!! My husband went back to the gift shop to get another one in exchange and found that ALL of the milk was expired. We just wanted to get out of there and left. This place destroyed our anniversary, in so many ways. We will NEVER, EVER go back, and have told all of our friends to STAY AWAY. They have zero concern for their guests and I see why they are about ready to go bankrupt. This place owes millions and millions and can not pay their debts. That is a fact, anyone can look it up. I for one will not be sad when they close. They could have had a great place, but having gone through, how many managers since it opened ( I think around a dozen or more), and their lack of concern for anything except the dollar, this is the result.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cyb45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
MCM Elegante Lodge & Resort
#9 of 23 in Ruidoso
Ruidoso Mountain Inn
Ruidoso Mountain Inn
#10 of 23 in Ruidoso

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!