“great trip!”

Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in August in a King room with a balcony overlooking the lake. We feel the extra cost for a balcony room to be well worth it. We enjoy sitting on the patio. The room and the bathroom were both very clean. The carpet looked new, the upholstered chair was in great shape, and the bedding was crisp, high quality, and freshly covered. The pillow top bed was comfortable, the pillows were plentiful and high quality. The other furniture in the room was in good repair as well.

I encountered housekeeping a couple of times and they were attentive and friendly each time.
I had no problem or line upon check in; we actually had 3 rooms under our reservation and they were all available. We checked in around 4:00. Our checkout was uneventful. The common areas were clean, and enjoyed the property as a whole.

We ate breakfast at Wendall's and had a good experience. We ate in the buffet and in the club house as well. Wendall's atmosphere is my favorite. I also enjoy the atmosphere in the piano bar. The views at sunset are extraordinary!

Though there is a casino on site, as others have noted, it is smoke filled! We played in the casino and had a good time as it is small but enjoyable. I wish the ventilation was better.

We enjoy this property very much. Though others complain of rude staff, I feel it is more of a cultural component in New Mexico. I see the behavior as being more quiet and not talking just to talk rather than being rude. I also have not personally encountered the issues with cleanliness other reviewers have spoken of.

This is our second stay at this property, and we will return as soon as we can get a few days sway. Our last stay was in the summer of 2011 and though I did not enter a review then, it would have been similar to this one.

Room Tip: Paying for a balcony or patio room is well worth it.
3  Thank SP243
There are newer reviews for Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at full rate of $249 a night because of it being labor day weekend and everything is booked up. The hotel is nice and everything was clean. Grounds are beautiful. People were friendly and helpful. The big problem came on Sunday night with the crowd they invited for Labor Day weekend. Imagine yourself paying full price for use of the hotel and all it has to offer only to be invaded by the entire town of Ruidoso and all their kids roaming the halls and lobby and hogging up everything. Not good!! The hotel had this big party with bands, fireworks, jump houses, and all kinds of stuff that is free for all to come. They only had a few security folks visible and the place was a madhouse! People that didn't pay for their stay running around rampant and taking up all the parking and hogging up the pool. The casino and restaurants were so packed that we ended up leaving the hotel and going to town to eat dinner and go to another casino. We looked at each other and said "why did we pay $249 a night to stay here?". Why would a "resort" do something like this? Insanity! To be fair, if you took away the crowd issue then everything else was very nice. We had a nice room, staff was nice, and the beds were comfortable. We just won't be staying there again when they are expecting a crowd.

Room Tip: Definitely get the Superior room. For the extra $20 your view of the lake is spectacular
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DavidAleshaR
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

This is a casino resort, so it is smoky. You can gamble in the casino's smoke free room, but there are few machines and no Wheel of Fortune. However, the best place to get away and have a nice view is (inside or outside ) of the lounge at Wendall's. It is worth a stop.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent five nites. Good points were the overall scenery from the lobby, room was quiet, room's amenties were good, great housekeeping. Questionable points: room was small and no view for $139 per nite plus tax. The shower water pressure was very low. We had to double-tip the baggage attendants------one for unloading the bags onto a cart...a second attendant took the baggage to the room...total :$20. The food was pricy. The slots were tight, losses totaled $400.
All-in-all a learning experience. Next visit we will stay in Ruidoso and enjoy the day trips.

Room Tip: Select a room with a view and a balcony....more expensive
2  Thank marquisTexas
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I don't understand why it is so difficult to make a reservation with this resort. I have been hung up on and transferred several times by the reservation department. In fact, when I spoke to Mary in reservations, she did not bother to listen to me regarding the discount code offer, she jumped to some other conclusion and transferred me to the front desk. Of course, they did not answer and I got a voicemail. So, when I tried calling back and asked the name of the reservationist, she would not provide me her name and dodged around answering that. After asking the second time, I was hung up on. So, I tried calling AGAIN. To my dismay, I was now on hold for over 14 minutes. When the girl finally answered the phone and I asked for her name, she transferred me to the front desk voicemail AGAIN!!! So, I attempted to contact management for the hotel. Well, guess what folks, the ONLY phone number for the hotel is the reservation line. So, I have had no choice but to leave a voicemail at the front desk and hope that someone in management actually listens to it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank msroxycross
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I recently stayed at the IMG for a 3 day business trip. The rooms were very nice and clean. The food was fantastic. The views were great. But for me, the tipping point was when I realized that I left a pendant in the room that I had bought for my wife. I called the resort on my drive out to my flight home and explained my plight. The dedicated employees of the IMG searched the room, the bedding and even the trash to locate my item. They ensured that it was sent back to me and arrived within days. I cannot express enough my gratitude for their staff's diligent work to get me back my gift for my wife. I highly recommend them for this. Thanks again for a great stay, and great dedication.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We chose this hotel because of the on-site casino and do not like to drive after dark in the mountains given the area's large deer and elk population.
The property site is beautiful..lake,mountain, wide open sky.
It had been several years since my last stay here and I was a little surprised at the wear and tear that this property has suffered with little effort towards cosmetic fixes. Our room was large and nicely furnished except for the burn marks on the carpet( it was designated as a non-smoking room) and the missing stopper and broken faucet handle in the bathroom. Still, I have paid more at inferior properties.

3  Thank miathecat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
Comfort Inn - Midtown
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#4 of 23 in Ruidoso
Quality Inn & Suites - Ruidoso Hwy 70

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!