“Terrific find” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of High Country Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Magdalena
High Country Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Magdalena
Framingham, Mass
“Terrific find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

We were traveling in SW New Mexico and just left VLA. We found this place in Magdalena and couldn't be happier. We were staying in local motels and low price chains. The Lodge beat them all by far.

Room and property were VERY CLEAN. Room had fridge, microwave, coffee maker, cable TV, wireless internet and came with a continental breakfast. All for about $45. Can't beat that.

People were very friendly and helpful. Recommended Cafe in town for dinner (good also) and made sure we got there before it closed at 7:00.

Owner is working on property to make it "better". Wants to open their cafe in the motel property. That will be nice.

We seek comfort. cleanliness, and value, and this motel is tops.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Town is tiny. Not much selection for dining.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

Was driving from Talihina, Oklahoma to Gold Canyon, AZ when I ran out of steam and needed to stop for the night. I was going to try to make it to Show Low, AZ on rte.60W but when I passed through Magdelena and saw this place, I just had to stop. Quaint little mountain town with a quiet feel to it. The Lodge is 1960s charming and the price ($41) for room # 30 was just fine by me. New mattress and box spring, new carpet, non-smoking, clean and with great towels. Not the Ritz but a clean, quiet place to get a good night's sleep. Satellite TV and wireless satellite internet. I'm looking forward to getting up early and visiting the VLA sight just up the road( Contact, Jodie Foster) and then heading home up through the Apache White Mountains and over the Continental Divide after a stop in Pie town for breakfast.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

After a quick drive through Magdelena I arbitrarily picked the High Country Lodge, and I'm glad I did. While an older property, it is extremely well maintained--the only clue to its age are the attractive mature trees which shade the rooms. The property is under new ownership, and the new proprietors enthusiasm for their role as innkeepers is apparent in the attention to detail.

Check in was prompt, courteous, and efficient. When I decided to stay over an extra day Kathy the clerk provided me with pamphlets on local tourist attractions--without being asked. She also showed me the motel's charming little dining room which should be open to the public within the month.

Housekeeping was excellent. Each room has a microwave, a small refrigerator, and above average quality towels. My room was small--but so was the price ($35 tax included) so I'm certainly not complaining. For those requiring more space, there are bigger accomodations at equally reasonable prices.

A word about Magdelena--it's a small town, with a small town atmosphere. The motel lobby doesn't open until around noon, so take that into consideration. For local attractions I recommend the Magdelena Cafe, the town's social center and a source of great New Mexican food. Nearby in the middle of the sidewalk was a large affable dog asleep on an easy chair--its that kind of laid-back place. The town library is also worth seeing. Located in the old railway depot, it is energetically maintained by Lucy Pino, who should get a medal for her efforts in providing library support to an isolated community. Ask to see her boxcar museum.

For anyone heading west on US60, I'd recommend forgetting about Socorro and staying at the High Country Lodge. It and Magdelena are wonderful places.

• Liked — Service, ambience, value for money
  • Disliked — I liked everything.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank zundapp
Minneapolis, Mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

Although this is a simple and older motel, it has obviously been very well cared for. My room had a fresh coat of paint, new carpet and bedspread, a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker and even free wi-fi, all for under $40! Everything was clean and in good condition. The bed was comfortable and the room lighting was good.

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank florinus
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2005

After two visits to Socorro, New Mexico and nondescript lodging experiences, I found the High Country Lodge delightful. My room (#27) was sparkling clean with lovely decorative touches. Wall switches, curtains, lamps. All selected with care. Even the pillows and quilt on the bed were inviting. Even a microwave, coffee-maker and fridge were included in this compact room. Television reception was a bit fuzzy but keep in mind where you are. The innkeeper I spoke with was warm and informative. I had dinner at his restaurant recommendation (south side of main highway). The food was wonderful and staff very accommodating. Next morning, I went to another restaurant (north side of main highway) for a breakfast burrito. It was very good. However, I felt that the price was too high. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the place. But, if you go there, you'll realize there are very few eating places.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magdalena
BEST WESTERN Socorro Hotel & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Been to High Country Lodge? Share your experiences!