“Unique Handmade Gourmet Chocolate!”

Shugarman's Little Chocolate Shop
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Madrid
Reviewed April 1, 2014

There is not much I can add that previous reviewers have not said (the reviews have been glowing!) but I can confirm that this place is a must visit for anyone visiting Madrid. Every time I need a gift for a chocolate lover this is the only place I go. Harvey is friendly, passionate, and energetic about his chocolate and he's always happy to give you a sample. The combinations he puts together are very unusual but absolutely amazing. My favorite so far has been the Green Chile Cashews and Macadamia Nut Chocolate he makes. Also, I had no idea that salted chocolate was soooooo delicious! This is a great souvenir to bring home for yourself or friends if you're visiting NM, you can guarantee that it will not go unappreciated!

Also check out the local handmade pottery available for sale in his shop while you're there, it's very nice :)

2  Thank greyhoundgrrrl
There are newer reviews for Shugarman's Little Chocolate Shop

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is a world-class chocolate shop that just happens to be nestled in a revived New Mexico mining town. Madrid has seen its ups and downs, even in its more recent incarnations as a haven for artist ex-pats from Santa Fe and then a day-trip destination and back around again. What you will always find there are people who love the New Mexico that artists have always loved and Harvey Shugarman is every bit that kind of person. His chocolates are works of art, masterfully crafted and lovingly shared. Walk into his shop and he will give you a taste of everything he makes and you will quickly understand a whole new level of the pleasure chocolate can give. I hope Madrid never changes its quirky ways and I hope Shugarman's stays exactly as it is right now, but this shop is truly a destination as much as seeing the Georgia O'Keeffe museum or skiing at Taos.

2  Thank TravelRaven
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I thought Madrid was a little slice of heaven, until I went to Shugarman's ...that was a BIG slice of heaven! Knowledgeable, pleasant, helpful staff who willingly and abundantly serve up chocolate samples. Very unique combinations that really "work" together to make your taste buds sing and your body say, "THANKS!" I love dark chocolate and it doesn't get better than this. Go...and you will find I am absolutely right!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We made a special trip to Madrid, NM to visit Shugarman's Little Chocolate Shop just to purchase the most fabulous gourmet chocolates one can find in New Mexico. The owner, Harvey Shugarman, has been making his special chocolates for many years, and his knowledge of chocolate making, use of fresh and unique ingredients, and outgoing personality simply enrich the experience of visiting his charming little shop.

And of course, there's the chocolate: dried mango dipped in dark chocolate with red chile, dark chocolate and Thai chile cashews, milk chocolate and fresh macadamia nuts and cashews, dark chocolate infused with smoked applewood salt, or milk chocolate adorned with green chile and pine nuts, just for starters the day we came in. Ingredients are ordered specifically for the unique blends Harvey creates, and samples are given out freely and eagerly. You'll wind up trying most, if not all, of the daily featured delicacies. We did!

Be sure to visit Shugarman's Little Chocolate Shop when you travel through Madrid. You just cannot go wrong with any of Shugarman's gourmet chocolates!

2  Thank DiveMoreWorkLess
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I was in Santa Fe back in October and I'm kicking myself for not giving this place a review. I realize that chocolate shops may not be at the top of some people's list but this one is worth the stop along the turquoise trail. Not too mention the owner is so friendly and creative! He let me sample almost everything. I suggest you try something spicy. Enjoy!

1  Thank Andrea S