“Not bad, but not the best.” 3 of 5 bubbles

El Charro Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in Lordsburg
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lordsburg, New Mexico
“Not bad, but not the best.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have had some incredible tacos and good chile rellenos at El Charro, but I have never been satisfied with their service. Waitresses are very slow to help you and I have often felt like I'm inconveniencing them, even when they are not very busy. The place is not at all aesthetically pleasing. Prices are also a bit high compared to other New Mexican food restaurants in the area.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Atascadero, California
“Real Homemade Tex Mex - What Flavor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Well Green Chile! Wonderful Green Chile! Perfect Chile rellenos! Lovely service, and when I said I wanted to try the red sauce as well, a complimentary red enchilada was given to us! Inexpensive and fun. Yes it is a beat up old building and the facilities are very worn, but I came for the food and will come back now that I have a favorite spot in Lordsburg. Don't let the exterior fool you! The food is real good!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Linthicum, Maryland
“Excellent Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

For those of you who still prefer regional cuisine as opposed to a processed, tasteless fast food meal, this is the place. We stopped in Lordsburg on a Sunday night as part of a cross country journey and saw the restaurant sign while we were looking for a motel. We thought it looked full of character and vowed to eat there in the morning if they were open - and El Charro was indeed serving breakfast!
First off, our server was super and knew her stuff. She chatted with us about their two best Mexican breakfast dishes, which we ordered. Both were excellent. The coffee was nice and strong, just the way we like it.
Next, the interior is rather quirky. You can see that business demand ebbed and flowed, depending on the service provided and the era. The restaurant is connected with what I would call a roadhouse/honky tonk/bar. Each a separate, distinctive space with decor from the 60s and 70s. The restaurant is 50s or earlier. On the west end is the restaurant (very basic, but extremely clean), then to the east, a lounge area, a bar, a dance floor, and finally, the bathrooms. You get to stroll through the full glorious space to reach to ladies and gents.
Lastly, the exterior is organized just like the interior - many facades! The neon signs are amazing and tantilizing. I'd love to have a steak here and see if they match the quality of the breakfasts!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank mer_from_MD
Anchorage, Alaska
“Barely Edible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We live in southern New Mexico and have been to various Mexican cafes the might be described as dives as far as the ambiance goes. So I wasn't put off by the "decor". The food is another story. There was very little green chili in the green chili enchiladas. The beans were cold and tasteless. I would NEVER eat here again. Next time I have to spend the night in Lordsburg I'll bring food with me.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank biondabear
Saint Louis, Missouri
“wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is not a place you select because of the way it looks outside, but it is absolutely delicious. We have eaten there twice--decades apart--and it's still delicious. El Charro isn't convenient to anywhere, but it's one of our favorite destinations. Love those Hatch chiles.

• Visited October 2013