“amazing !”
Review of The Wortley Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lincoln
The Wortley Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed September 2, 2010

my husband and I stayed at the Wortley for one night in August as part of a three week road trip. We had such a wonderful time here. The room was absolutely beautiful- immaculately clean and So pretty- very tastefully designed so you felt like you were back in time, but not at all cluttered or overdone - perfect. We had a fabulous time sitting on the front porch chatting with Cathy and Vic and several of their friends from the village- they made us feel so welcome , we felt like they were all our friends too. We had a good look around at all the historical sights the next morning which was fascinating and very entertaining.We had the misfortune to have a flat tire when we arrived and Cathy was so helpful, helping us sort it out, which we did in Capitan on our way the next day.The peace and quiet in Lincoln is so beautiful , it was a truly memorable experience. Cathy and Vic are the perfect hosts- thank you so much for a wonderful stay! We would recommend the Wortley without any reservations.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MillyA

Reviewed September 1, 2010

We have stayed at the wortley several times, Its a great hotel with a rich history, I love sitting in the rocking chairs on the front porch,looking out on to the street where so much history took place, The rooms are clean, furnished with a beautiful 19 century style flavor, The rates are surprisingly affordable, and its great that included in the rate is a hot homemade breakfast from their menu, ( I always have their Huevos Rancheros). The hotel is operated by the owners, Kathy an Victor, They always make us feel at home, unlike many hotels where the proprietors often make you feel hesitant to make a request. And when it comes time to leave, we are already looking forward to our next visit. I would like it noted that I am not a person that returns to an Establishment that does not meet my expectations, the fact that we always stay at the Whortley speaks volumes. Thank you Kathy an Victor.

2  Thank JohnBristow_10
Reviewed May 7, 2010

My son is a western history fan and wanted to stay in or near Lincoln, NM during our tour of that State. Our one night stay was unforgettable, with a nice dinner and conversations on the porch in rocking chairs with other guests. Breakfast is memorable. The owners are very freindly and accomodating. I will return with my wife as soon as I can. We felt like we were at a place that no one else kenw about. All of the historical spots in Lincoln are just feet away. You are a part of the owners' family while you are there.

• Stayed: April 2010
2  Thank tz22
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The Wortley Hotel is a lovely historic hotel right in the center of the beautifully preserved town of Lincoln, New Mexico. Lincoln is probably the most unspoiled frontier town in the West. My husband and I went there to visit the New Mexico State Monuments commemorating Billy the Kid, the Lincoln County Wars, and Fort Stanton. These are all stunningly intact, and situated in hilly, green countryside in a peaceful river valley. You really feel like you are stepping back in time in Lincoln--we were just blown away by the quality of the historic preservation and the absence of tourist trap clutter.

We booked a room at the Historic Wortley Hotel because it's right in the middle of the tiny, quiet town, near the Billy the Kid sites, and we just loved it. The owners, Cathy and Victor, have refurbished and restored the historic hotel with great style--the rooms are comfortable and inviting, but blessedly free of the gewgaws and knickknacks that often clutter historic hotels and B&B's--they are tasteful, elegant, and beautiful. We had a wonderful dinner with wine in the hotel dining room, and Cathy gave us a duraflame log to light up the fireplace in our room--a really nice touch as we were there in April, when the weather is cool. In the summer time, I can imagine sitting for hours in a rocker on the front porch of the hotel. Breakfast the next morning was fabulous--Victor is a wonderful cook.

We had a very memorable stay in this jewel of a hotel and hope to return. Cathy and Victor could not have been more gracious and accommodating (including mailing back the shirt I forgot in that sweet room!).

4  Thank jodelino
Reviewed April 26, 2010

OK, I really struggled with writing this review. Why? Pro: To share a really great find with like-minded travelers. Con: To give away My Special Place that I believe is a Hidden Gem. Being a Trip Advisor Member, I decided to share, so here goes. If I sound like a travel agent, forgive me -- I love this place.

Since randomly discovering The Wortley Hotel in early 2008 shortly after it was purchased by owners, hosts & chef, Cathy & Vic Garrison, I regularly detour on my frequent (business/leisure) journeys between Texas & New Mexico just to stay/dine/unwind at The Wortley. The Wortley Hotel is a historic landmark that its current owners have restored to its status as a New Mexico gem offering peace & comforts for its guests. The rooms are clean & comfortable with views to "die for." The wonderful bedding & quiet will leave you wanting another night's stay. (Note: Please disregard any review for stays before Fall 2007 before the current owners purchased the property; there is no comparison.) There is a pet friendly room for a very reasonable pet fee for those of us traveling with our 4-legged family member.

For dining, I wasn't surprised to recently read the "Best of the West Winners 2010" in "True West Magazine" that named The Wortley Hotel Dining Room as "Best Restaurant in the West." Rats -- again, "My Secret Place" is out. No matter -- an overnight stay includes a made-to-order hand-prepared breakfast. Even if you're not a hotel guest, the dining room is also open to the public for breakfast & lunch that you'll enjoy while hearing the local diners debate Billy the Kid & Lincoln County War folklore. For overnight hotel guests at dinner time, the owners will always make sure you don't go to bed hungry. Trust me -- yum & Zzzzzz!

For the those interested in staying in touch with the rest of the world as a hotel guest, The Wortley has fast free WiFi.

Lincoln County is, of course, abundant with history & museums, all within viewing or short walking distance of The Wortley. Walking & hiking trails are also accessible from The Wortley. And for those like me, who really never planned on going to or through Lincoln, do yourself a favor, take a detour. The Wortley is a refreshing option to a chain motel in nearby Roswell or Ruidoso or any other place on this planet.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank kidita
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We didn't stay here, just had a great lunch. I had the beef burrito special, with wonderful home made corn tortillas, and my husband had a delicious salad with grilled chicken. The fruit crumble for dessert was just amazing. The room has lots of atmosphere and the owners are lively and fun.
Be aware they are not usually open for dinner

1  Thank Kaycrew
Reviewed December 27, 2009

You will love this place if: You want a solitary or romantic get-away. You appreciate Gourmet meals, at regular prices, with vegatables from local Ma&Pop growers, just downriver on the Bonito. You think you might be interested in this Billy-the-Kid thing, and you heard that the [bully/Bad Cop/tormentor] deputy Bob Olinger was chowing down in the Wortley when he heard the commotion across the street as Billy busted out and, and then karma (and Bob's own shotgun in Billy's hands) ended Bob's day right below the second story window to the courthose. You appreciate the architecture and silence of the original 18-inch exterior and 14-inch interior adobe walls. You would drive 250 miles just for the chef's spectacular Saturday night exotic dinner. You enjoy sitting on the front porch sipping a type of tea/beer/beverage you've never had before, reading one of their many books about Billy, and performing your own traffic flow study to see if more than one car drives by in an hour. You are touring on your Triumph, and you want a soothing place to come back to after touring the old post at Fort Stanton, seeing Ruidoso, and driving over to Cloudcroft for a beer or lemonade. You are the kind of person who uses a hotel bathroom just "to go to the bathroom"; you don't LIVE in the bathoom.

You will not like this place if: You brought along the kids and they need a pool or TV. You like to go out for lots of night life and party. Really quiet places depress you and you prefer sirens and lots of activity. You are not that interested in really good food, and you just like to eat quickly and make good time. You like a big hotel bathroom with tub, shower and vanity [I think the original 1874 floor plan did not include private baths in each room, and the bathrooms were squeezed in later. Each room has its own private shower, toilet, sink, mirror, but no bath tub]
Summary: We loved it because it was quiet and we wanted to get away and we had just watched "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid." We've gone every years since the previous owner let it go to seed, and the new owners fixed it up, put in the flowers, put the rooms in better-than-original condition, and introduced the spectacular menu and Gourmet food events. The Wortley is our favorite motel in New Mexico. Number two is the El Rey in Santa Fe.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank KinBineola
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
Comfort Inn - Midtown
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#4 of 23 in Ruidoso
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ruidoso Downs

Been to The Wortley Hotel? Share your experiences!